Audio GD NFB6
Nov 5, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #106 of 127
Quote:
For a while I had my NFB-6 connected both balanced and unbalanced for comparison purposes using single-ended RCA's in input #2 and balanced XLR's in input #1.  This didn't last long because of the obviously vastly superior sound of the balanced connects.  There's a review of the NFB-6 by Frank I. on here somewhere that also mentions a big drop off in sound quality with single-ended connects vs. balanced.

Hi there.

I believe that Frank -I was comparing the Headphone Outputs, not the XLR v RCA Inputs, but I could be wrong...

Nov 5, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #107 of 127
Quote:
Can't you reterminate the Q701 like the K701 (is it a 4 wire cable)? This would be worth your while.

Nice boxers.

Has anyone here re-terminated either the Beyer DT-990 or 770 (600 Ohm) Premium with 4-pin XLR connectors for using with a Balanced Amp? Do they employ 4 conductors? I am interested in the (re) purchase of the NFB-6 but only if I'm able to convert my Beyers to Balanced Operation, because the NFB-6 simply does not have the power to drive them adequately from the Single-ended Output. 
mad.gif

Nov 5, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #108 of 127
You have to rewire it which is what I did (DT770/600 and DT990). It's not that hard actually as they open up very easily- you just have to drill a hole on the one cup for dual entry. Whole thing cost about $15 with Mogami cable.
Use Markertek.com for everything.

Nov 5, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #109 of 127
Quote:
You have to rewire it which is what I did (DT770/600 and DT990). It's not that hard actually as they open up very easily- you just have to drill a hole on the one cup for dual entry. Whole thing cost about $15 with Mogami cable.
Use Markertek.com for everything.

Thanks for your input, Tim. I would prefer to simply Re-terminate them but I will consider your suggestion.

Nov 5, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #111 of 127
Quote:
Hi there.

I believe that Frank -I was comparing the Headphone Outputs, not the XLR v RCA Inputs, but I could be wrong...

I just reread the review and nowhere in it does Frank I mention comparing the headphone outputs.  He mentions throughout the review listening in balanced vs. unbalanced modes and it would make no sense anyway to use the balanced headphone output if the  inputs that are used are unbalanced.

Nov 5, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #113 of 127
Quote:
I just reread the review and nowhere in it does Frank I mention comparing the headphone outputs.  He mentions throughout the review listening in balanced vs. unbalanced modes and it would make no sense anyway to use the balanced headphone output if the  inputs that are used are unbalanced.

I have also re-read the Review and I am sorry to say that you are mistaken.
You should be careful not to confuse "balanced mode" with Balanced Input. Balanced mode, when we are talking Headphones, referrs to the Balancing of Headphones, which of course requires Balanced Output, and it is of this that Frank-I speaks throughout his review. He specifically makes reference to the usage of his HD-800 with Balanced Cabling, obviously fed from the Balanced Output. 
He also clearly states that all his Sources were used in both Balanced and Unbalanced mode, which in this case means feeding both its Balanced and Unbalanced Outputs into the NFB-6. Not once in his review does he state that he has used the balanced HD-800 or any other Phone exclusively from a Balanced Source, as you would seem to imply.
To quote Hooster, "Why?". The benefits of  headphone listening through Balanced Headphones should be obvious even using an Unbalanced source, although its full potential should of course be fully realised only in an All Balanced set-up. In theory at least...

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #114 of 127
Quote:
I have also re-read the Review and I am sorry to say that you are mistaken.
You should be careful not to confuse "balanced mode" with Balanced Input. Balanced mode, when we are talking Headphones, referrs to the Balancing of Headphones, which of course requires Balanced Output, and it is of this that Frank-I speaks throughout his review. He specifically makes reference to the usage of his HD-800 with Balanced Cabling, obviously fed from the Balanced Output. 
He also clearly states that all his Sources were used in both Balanced and Unbalanced mode, which in this case means feeding both its Balanced and Unbalanced Outputs into the NFB-6. Not once in his review does he state that he has used the balanced HD-800 or any other Phone exclusively from a Balanced Source, as you would seem to imply.
To quote Hooster, "Why?". The benefits of  headphone listening through Balanced Headphones should be obvious even using an Unbalanced source, although its full potential should of course be fully realised only in an All Balanced set-up. In theory at least...

Please forgive me if I misunderstand all this (I'm very much still a noobie ) but from all I've read about balanced set ups I got the idea that if any link in the chain uptstream from the transducer is unbalanced then the whole benefit is lost.  And I didn't mean to imply that Frank-I did all his listening exclusively from a balanced source.  I just thought that he would be using a balanced source when all his links downstream were balanced.  

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #115 of 127
Just to clarify. I listened to balanced with the Oppo BDP95 balanced and the amplifier balanced into the balanced Oppo. I listed unbalanced to unbalanced. I stand by the original review this amp should only be used balanced and even balanced its a mediocre amp at best. Listening unbalanced it was unacceptable in my system and even in balanced mode most amps I listened to at 250.00 sounded better to my ears. Kingwa made changes based on my review and I have not heard the  amp he applied modifications to but the original amp was unsatisfactory to my ears except in balanced mode and even then I stated it was only for people who could not afford the better amps especially with the HW800. which I used a balanced cable when I did the review.

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #117 of 127
Too bad you got a dud, Frank. Apparently it has now been tweaked. I am also sorry you did not try it as a pre amp for a speaker system. In that role it is fantastic, at least mine is. I am happy with it single ended for my cans but I am going to re cable and check out the balanced option within the next few weeks. I will let you know what my impressions are.

Nov 9, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #119 of 127
Just to clarify. I listened to balanced with the Oppo BDP95 balanced and the amplifier balanced into the balanced Oppo. I listed unbalanced to unbalanced. I stand by the original review this amp should only be used balanced and even balanced its a mediocre amp at best. Listening unbalanced it was unacceptable in my system and even in balanced mode most amps I listened to at 250.00 sounded better to my ears. Kingwa made changes based on my review and I have not heard the  amp he applied modifications to but the original amp was unsatisfactory to my ears except in balanced mode and even then I stated it was only for people who could not afford the better amps especially with the HW800. which I used a balanced cable when I did the review.

So was the Oppo brand new as well when you hooked it up to give your final thoughts on balanced inputs? Just curious...still considering this as a preamp first, and headphone as a secondary consideration. My Wyred4Sound DAC1 sounded much as you described the NFB6 to sound (even more so when new)....ironically enough using the same DAC chip.

I had to sell the DAC1 because of this, and stick with my Stello DA-220.

Nov 9, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #120 of 127
Quote:
So was the Oppo brand new as well when you hooked it up to give your final thoughts on balanced inputs? Just curious...still considering this as a preamp first, and headphone as a secondary consideration. My Wyred4Sound DAC1 sounded much as you described the NFB6 to sound (even more so when new)....ironically enough using the same DAC chip.
I had to sell the DAC1 because of this, and stick with my Stello DA-220.

That is very interesting. Perhaps Frank actually reviewed the Oppo and not the NFB-6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back