Audio-GD NFB-12
Jan 10, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #196 of 2,278
So basically this thing would blow the Maverick D1 out of the water? What is the stock price difference between this and the FUN? 

Jan 11, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #197 of 2,278
Thoughts on using this without any additional amps to drive a HD600?  Obviously all speculation at this point, but based on previous experiences with Audio-GD and the specs, think there's enough punch in the NFB-12's, or worthwhile to have something like a Gilmore Lite in the middle?

PS Good idea to not have any DAC for a month and wait for this to arrive and settle for going straight PC soundcard -> amp -> 600s?  Or will my soul be crushed without a DAC...

Jan 11, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #198 of 2,278
I own the HD580 and this amp is very identical in power output to the FUN and Sparrow. In my research there is little to no info on pairing the HD580/600 with these amps. There is plenty of current in these amps for the Senns, but the voltage requirement for the Senns is typically better served by tubes. Over the years there have only been a handful of solid state amps that have been highly recommended for these Senns, but a lot of tube amps. I am sure the DAC portion of this amp is pretty good, but you might want to research some other amps to pair it with.

Quote:
Thoughts on using this without any additional amps to drive a HD600?  Obviously all speculation at this point, but based on previous experiences with Audio-GD and the specs, think there's enough punch in the NFB-12's, or worthwhile to have something like a Gilmore Lite in the middle?

PS Good idea to not have any DAC for a month and wait for this to arrive and settle for going straight PC soundcard -> amp -> 600s?  Or will my soul be crushed without a DAC...

Jan 11, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #199 of 2,278

Quote:
I own the HD580 and this amp is very identical in power output to the FUN and Sparrow. In my research there is little to no info on pairing the HD580/600 with these amps. There is plenty of current in these amps for the Senns, but the voltage requirement for the Senns is typically better served by tubes. Over the years there have only been a handful of solid state amps that have been highly recommended for these Senns, but a lot of tube amps. I am sure the DAC portion of this amp is pretty good, but you might want to research some other amps to pair it with.

Quote:

Many have found that the HD650 has great synergy with the Fun. If the NFB12 is somewhat comparable to the Fun I suspect you may be in for a pleasant surprise.

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #201 of 2,278

Quote:
Ahh...
DHL was the cheapest option on the NFB11/12 to Wester Europe... hopefully it fast, as DHL can be (2 days US to Sweden last time).

We in Greece,prefer EMS,instead of DHL,or UPS,because when a item arrives in Customs,we pay huge sums of money with them,while the EMS way,can save enough,even all of the money,if the price of the item is lower than $100.00.

Jan 11, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #202 of 2,278
Comforting news.  Given the Gilmore amp is a done deal, worthwhile to drop $230 on the NFB-12, or go for a less frills/expensive pure DAC, given all my listening with the DAC would be with the Senn HD 600s?  I feel out of my league in terms of understanding the true technical merit of the NFB-12, wondering if investing in it is overkill with having the Gilmore on hand.  (Overkill is a relative word, speaking in terms of a 'non initiated' hi-fier).

Quote:
The FUN and NFB-12 have the same power at 300 ohms (HD 650), so things should be fine.

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #203 of 2,278
Anybody here got a tracking code on their package yet, and know when It will arrive?

I really want to order one, but would like to see some impressions first.
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #205 of 2,278

Well just got a call from DHL, about a package from HongKong. Must be the NFB-12 (haven't ordered anything else that I am waiting for).
Will have it delivered to work tomorrow! will post my first impression tomorrow evening! (GMT+1)

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #206 of 2,278
Interesting that you didn't make the Audio-GD consignment page. Shows they haven't shipped any NFB-12's yet. Look forward to your impressions.

Quote:

Well just got a call from DHL, about a package from HongKong. Must be the NFB-12 (haven't ordered anything else that I am waiting for).
Will have it delivered to work tomorrow! will post my first impression tomorrow evening! (GMT+1)

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #207 of 2,278

The consignment page only goes to 6 of January, and my was shipped 8 of January according to my email from edwin. now i feel like the day before christmas! (as this was my christmas present from me to me :p ).

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #208 of 2,278
DHL delivered mine ~2hrs ago (Oslo, Norway). I actually picked EMS as my delivery option when i ordered.

The unit sounds really good, but i haven't that much to compare to, only my HUD-mx1. I've only listened to it for 1/2 hour, but my initial impression is that side by side the mx1 it sounds much more airy with better highs and more punch in the bass. High/low gain changes the coloring of the sound, not really sure how to describe it. On high, vocals really pop but on low they are more recessed.

I'm sure more experienced head-fi'ers will come with thurough reviews, just thought i would share.

Edit: The power cable included (European CEE 7/7 to IEC connector) was actually a pretty loose fit when connected to the back panel of the nfb-12. I swapped it for another power cable i found in my house and that fit snugly. 

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #209 of 2,278

Quote:
DHL delivered mine ~2hrs ago (Oslo, Norway). I actually picked EMS as my delivery option when i ordered.

The unit sounds really good, but i haven't that much to compare to, only my HUD-mx1. I've only listened to it for 1/2 hour, but my initial impression is that side by side the mx1 it sounds much more airy with better highs and more punch in the bass. High/low gain changes the coloring of the sound, not really sure how to describe it. On high, vocals really pop but on low they are more recessed.

I'm sure more experienced head-fi'ers will come with thurough reviews, just thought i would share.

Thanks for sharing! If I hadn't bought the NFB-12, I was planning on getting the HUD-mx1 instead, so it's interesting to hear that comparison. Do you think the sound will change a bit with time?

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #210 of 2,278
This is the second review of the NFB-11/12 and neither has given me very much confidence. The NFB-11 DAC was compared to a Sony Blu-ray player and now the 12 sounding less favorable than a medicore Audinst. Oh my....

Quote:

Edit: The power cable included (European CEE 7/7 to IEC connector) was actually a pretty loose fit when connected to the back panel of the nfb-12. I swapped it for another power cable i found in my house and that fit snugly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back