Audio-gd NFB-10
Feb 17, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #2,373 of 2,860
IMO in the perfect amp there should be no difference but there is IME - electronics are not perfectly linear.  In my case I preferred low gain with LCD-2 and found high gain too highly strung - but this is possibly all in my brain.

I wouldn't bother with high gain unless you are using HE-6 as I currently am.  Yes some recordings are a little bright but I just cant go back to LCD-2, at least not with classical music.

Feb 19, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #2,374 of 2,860
hey guys... i'm well experienced with portable rigs and am looking to jump ship to headphone/desktop setup... I have little or totally no experience in desktop setups... therefore i'm looking for a good DAC+AMP or DAC/AMP setup that is cheap but yet better than what my portable rig is... Currently my rig is CLAS, piccolino IC, pico slim... i love my current rig as its the best i've heard..

i'm wondering if the NBF-10se is better terms of DAC and even the built-in amp relative to my setup.. also i would like to know how's the pairing with HE-500... Am really looking forward to my first desktop setup... thanks for your input in advance :) 

Feb 19, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #2,375 of 2,860
The 10SE is a good desktop setup for the price, but IMO Audio Gd gear tend to have a more analog, laid back sound which might be 'dark sounding' compared to the sound from your CLAS / Pico slim combo. I use the 10SE paired with the O2 and it sounds a lot better. The DAC section of the 10SE is pretty good and will most probably be a step up from the CLAS.

Mar 1, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #2,381 of 2,860
Just ordered a Woo Audio WA22 balanced tube amp after using my NFB-10WM as a DAC/amp combo over the last year. I'm curious as to how different it will sound comparing the NFB amp section to the WA22 using its DAC.

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #2,382 of 2,860

Quote:
Just ordered a Woo Audio WA22 balanced tube amp after using my NFB-10WM as a DAC/amp combo over the last year. I'm curious as to how different it will sound comparing the NFB amp section to the WA22 using its DAC.

Keen to read your reviews...

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #2,383 of 2,860

I use the same combo, but with WA2. i also interested how benifit from the balanced output of 10WM

Quote:

Mar 3, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #2,384 of 2,860

Quote:
IMO in the perfect amp there should be no difference but there is IME - electronics are not perfectly linear.  In my case I preferred low gain with LCD-2 and found high gain too highly strung - but this is possibly all in my brain.

I wouldn't bother with high gain unless you are using HE-6 as I currently am.  Yes some recordings are a little bright but I just cant go back to LCD-2, at least not with classical music.

Hi Drez,

My -10SE is on the way and hope will receive it early next week. I am now considering to upgrade my headphone and have two choices, LCD-2 and HE6, personally prefer to HE6 and the only concern is that if -10SE has enough power to drive it. Would you please share more your experiences and impressions of -10SE driving HE6 and that will help me to make the final decision. Thanks.

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #2,385 of 2,860
Hi Jerry,

I am more than happy running the HE-6 from the NFB-10 with one caveat - the stock earpads, either of them sounded too bright and treble forward - IMO this amp is neutral (in my completely unguided opinion) meaning that it will not smooth the transients or colour the frequency response.  This is though because of the HE-6 and not the amp IMO.

With STAX 007 mkii pads though, I find the sound perfectly balanced.  The amplifier has plenty of gain in high gain and plenty of power as well.  Bass is well defined, taught and has good impact when called for it.  Midrange is very detailed, treble well extended and soundstage is also excellent, as is imaging.  IMO it is excellent value for the price - however others have tried the Schiit Lyr and preferred that, but I have not been so lucky, but I intend to compare these later.  If you search the thread back a couple of months there was discussion of the Lyr vs the NFB-10 driving the LCD-2.

Unfortunately though I cannot compare NFB-10 to Lyr driving the HE-6 as I think that would be the real question here.  I will also have another amplifier in a few weeks to compare HE-6 with so hopefully I can speak with greater authority then.  To sum up, I find the combo with stock pads bright, but very good with 007 mkii earpads, and have not listened to much other gear so cannot say if there is anything else that is better or not.  Good luck with your decision!

EDIT: More caveats - I am usig the NFB-10 with John Kenny mk3 USB transport, as well as the optional DIR9001 digitial input receiver, which I also recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back