Audio-GD NFB-1.32
Mar 20, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #92 of 166
  It could be a little bit better but Im not going to compare it by reinstalling software.
I bogut Crystek clock for Sabre DAC and replaced TCXO one. 100Mz Crystek allows to listen to 32/384 files but I avent done any comparisions in SQ yet - no time for critical listening. Maybe Ill try to test it at weekend.
If anyone listened to 1.32 and could compare to oter Sabre DACs it would be nice.

Which Crystek clock part number did you go with ? 

Mar 22, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #93 of 166
ere is link for te clock:

http://pl.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=SZbbnLfOXtbuC9IKo91wAw==

At our polis forum some people compared MDAC to 1.32 and Audio GD DAC was clear winner. I cant comment it from my experience. 

May 2, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #94 of 166
Hi,

Did you have to de-solder the old one and solder this one in? Or did it just plug in? Also, is there more than one clock? 

Did it sound noticeably better?

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #97 of 166
I'am now also an proud owner of the NFB-1 (2014 Version).
I have just started trying/testing it a few minutes ago, through optical due to it's simpleness. And mostly some few Chesky binaural records I own. Does this dac needs some time to warm-up , till it's archived it's full performance?

At the very first moment, I was not to excited, since I expected the sound to be noticeable more airy, in comparision to my onboard realteak chip and also more clarity. I know that it is possible.
Now after about 15 minutes it does sound better in general, but I still have to value it. Did the sound really change, were my ears playing a trick on me in the beginning?

I will install and use usb now. And then I can finally confirm the functionality of my unit and will open the case to install the WM8805 module.

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #99 of 166
I just installed the drivers by running the main setup.exe found in the root folder. It seems that this is all I have to do on win 8.
Currently I have only one small Via configurator programm, where I can adjust the buffer size for asio and thats all. But usb is working with foobar. Is this small setting window all I should have with a correct installation?

I already had the standard asio support component installed, but I would like to use the audio gd one. If I read correctly, there is supposed to be a foobar plugin by audio gd. Is it the one "VIAASIO.dll"? Foobar is not accepting it as an official component, I dont see any foobar component in the driver package. But someone somewhere mentioned this filename.

At the beginning I had some clipping with asio, which now is fully gone. I adjusted the buffer size in foobar and via, which didn't help at first. I reinstalled the one asio plugin and now it's fully gone.
192k/24bit works without clipping, even a 352k/24bit file plays flawlessly.
But there occured a really weird problem once. The music just stopped and trying to play again resulted in playing with a much higher speed, without any sound. To make it work normal again I had to play with the asio settings in foobar. Did that ever happen to one of you?

And how should the volume differ between all those inputs? On the NFB 3 thread some one said that USB is a lot louder than optical. On my unit it is the exact opposite. I still have a lot room on my amp so I see no problem there. Yet I wonder why it is totally different.

And a small update about the sound quality. I made a short comparision with my realteak chip (1155) again, now that I have listened to it for quite a while. With the realteak chip it all sounded smaller. Everything was a lot closer to me (with binaural records) and even completly uncompressed music sounded louder, like the volume was raised due to compression. Which also resulted in less clarity.
So I'am quite happy. Especially since there was no wow effect right from the start. I know it does sound better, then my other sources. And the longer I use it, the more I can appreciate it and will find improvements.
Actually there is one wow effect, the unit does look really nice and it's build qualitiy is great!

Edit: I guess I can confirm that my unit works great, but I'am not able to test coaxial here. Let's see how warm the WM8805 module really is.

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #100 of 166
  I just installed the drivers by running the main setup.exe found in the root folder. It seems that this is all I have to do on win 8.
Currently I have only one small Via configurator programm, where I can adjust the buffer size for asio and thats all. But usb is working with foobar. Is this small setting window all I should have with a correct installation?

Yes that is all you will have after an install.  VIA ASIO.exe on your desktop.  I've left it on the default 10ms but you can adjust if you feel it clicks/pops.  Do 10ms at a time.

I already had the standard asio support component installed, but I would like to use the audio gd one. If I read correctly, there is supposed to be a foobar plugin by audio gd. Is it the one "VIAASIO.dll"? Foobar is not accepting it as an official component, I dont see any foobar component in the driver package. But someone somewhere mentioned this filename.

You likely aren't seeing it as you have 64bit drivers checked off in Foobar.  You need the Asio component (which you mentioned you have installed).  In Foobar Preferences:  Playback > Output > ASIO.  Uncheck "Use 64-bit ASIO drivers".  Restart Foobar when prompted and you should now see a "VIA DirectKS ASIO" driver show up.  That is the one to use.

At the beginning I had some clipping with asio, which now is fully gone. I adjusted the buffer size in foobar and via, which didn't help at first. I reinstalled the one asio plugin and now it's fully gone.
192k/24bit works without clipping, even a 352k/24bit file plays flawlessly.
But there occured a really weird problem once. The music just stopped and trying to play again resulted in playing with a much higher speed, without any sound. To make it work normal again I had to play with the asio settings in foobar. Did that ever happen to one of you?

I had a similar issue once or twice I think.  I just stopped the playback and restarted it and the muting relay clicked and worked properly.  Didn't need to adjust anything or restart the program.  I think it is just a driver issue.

And how should the volume differ between all those inputs? On the NFB 3 thread some one said that USB is a lot louder than optical. On my unit it is the exact opposite. I still have a lot room on my amp so I see no problem there. Yet I wonder why it is totally different.

That was me actually :)  It turns out was the source I had feeding the coaxial/optical inputs.  I replaced the sound card in my computer and tested both coaxial/optical again and it seemed to be pretty balanced between those and USB.  I also tested (with my old soundcard), by booting into Linux and it was level.  So it was something to do with my sound card (Creative Audigy 2 ZS) drivers and Windows.  Creative is garbage...

I'm going to be posting an update in that thread saying it was a false alarm.

And a small update about the sound quality. I made a short comparision with my realteak chip (1155) again, now that I have listened to it for quite a while. With the realteak chip it all sounded smaller. Everything was a lot closer to me (with binaural records) and even completly uncompressed music sounded louder, like the volume was raised due to compression. Which also resulted in less clarity.
So I'am quite happy. Especially since there was no wow effect right from the start. I know it does sound better, then my other sources. And the longer I use it, the more I can appreciate it and will find improvements.
Actually there is one wow effect, the unit does look really nice and it's build qualitiy is great!

Edit: I guess I can confirm that my unit works great, but I'am not able to test coaxial here. Let's see how warm the WM8805 module really is.

Hey...I answered your questions inline above.

Also, if you received your unit before May 26th, there is a firmware and driver update for the USB32 component.

Jun 6, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #101 of 166
Thanks for your answer.

I already have the VIA DirectKS ASIO as an option, even though the box is unchecked. Also I already ticked it once before and restarted foobar, a message appeared and told me that it couldn't find any drivers. My win 8 is 64bit. Does it really matter? It already works flawlessly with asio and foobar, I don't see a need for 64bit drivers for now.
Is that the asio plugin thing by audio gd for foobar? I still need this plugin to be able to even use asio in foobar: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_asio
I believed that there is no need for any additional plugin, since Audio GD provided all, I was wrong.

Now I will compare this dac to the one old cd player by Toshiba I have. I would consider the sound it produces, as nearly perfect. This is very important to me to value the dac.

Edit: The clipping over USB is back :frowning2:
I adjusted the buffer in steps of 10ms and I'am now in the red zone at 100ms. A higher buffer size in foobar didn't help too. I can set a much higher value there and even tried the maximum of 30k ms out of curiosity. With no success (foobar shows only warning if a low value is choosen).
I know that asio is a bit dependent on the computer power. But my system should have more then enough of it.

Edit2: The clipping only appears on cd quality music (format does not matter at all). Highres flacs are not affected at all. I don't understand why music with less data/information are more problematic in that regard.

Jun 7, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #102 of 166
  Thanks for your answer.

Edit: The clipping over USB is back :frowning2:
I adjusted the buffer in steps of 10ms and I'am now in the red zone at 100ms. A higher buffer size in foobar didn't help too. I can set a much higher value there and even tried the maximum of 30k ms out of curiosity. With no success (foobar shows only warning if a low value is choosen).
I know that asio is a bit dependent on the computer power. But my system should have more then enough of it.

Edit2: The clipping only appears on cd quality music (format does not matter at all). Highres flacs are not affected at all. I don't understand why music with less data/information are more problematic in that regard.

Try Wasapi ? And see if the issue occure too .

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_wasapi

Jun 8, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #103 of 166

Try Wasapi ? And see if the issue occure too .

I'am not able to choose the dac there, but any other source is listed. Oh well, nice try.

Jun 19, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #104 of 166
Now that I spent more time with this unit, it is exactly what I wanted: Neutral, airy and as close to the recording as possible. Which apparently does have it's downsides.
Some records did sound better in my memory.
In short I did very good with my choice. Sadly I'am bound to usb, it actually is better then optical. So my cd's do end up in the shelf after all. The only real downside.

Currently I use it on Ubuntu with Amarok, it works perfect. I just have not found an adequate replacement for Foobar on Linux yet.
The clipping with usb is only present on my Win 8, which could need a re install anyway. But Linux is my goal in the long run, so I'am happy with that.

Jun 19, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #105 of 166
  Now that I spent more time with this unit, it is exactly what I wanted: Neutral, airy and as close to the recording as possible. Which apparently does have it's downsides.
Some records did sound better in my memory.
In short I did very good with my choice. Sadly I'am bound to usb, it actually is better then optical. So my cd's do end up in the shelf after all. The only real downside.

Currently I use it on Ubuntu with Amarok, it works perfect. I just have not found an adequate replacement for Foobar on Linux yet.
The clipping with usb is only present on my Win 8, which could need a re install anyway. But Linux is my goal in the long run, so I'am happy with that.

If you are looking for a simple music program like foobar, and does bitperfect playbook, check out DeaDBeeF
http://deadbeef.sourceforge.net/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back