Audio GD New NOS 7 2016 Edition Impression Thread
Jul 3, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #76 of 286
I sent my M7 back to Kingwha to upgrade to NOS7. And got it back two days ago. After two days listening, I can say that it is a very nice upgrade.
I have both of speakers & earphone. For the setting of nos mode 1 or 2, Mode 1 is good for speakers and Mode 2 is good for earphones regarding the soundstage.
Mode 1 is terrible for earphone system. Overall the sound of NOS7 is better than M7 in my option in terms of the smootheness and the enjoyment .

Jul 5, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #77 of 286
200hs of burn-in on my NOS 5/Amanero upgrade. Today I played a little bit more with DSP setting again. After going back and forth, this is what I turned up liking the most so far:

- PLL off (a llite bit more focus in general)
- NOS mode 2 (doght I like mode 1, I find mode 2 much more detailed and open)
- Neutral (smoother is just to soft for my ears/system)
- Asynch 2 (I find Asynch 1 muting to much on the lower frequencies)

Overall I still think this is not a subtle change from Ref 5.32 in NOS mode to NOS 5/Amanero, but a massive one!...in a good way, of course.

Can you please share your findings and setup so far?

Cheers!

Jul 5, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #78 of 286
I hate to post a Google translation, but this may be interesting.
I am pretty sure this is recently from Kingwa (at the Audio-GD BBS) in reference to the M7 NOS setting table:
Table, J1 and J2 are configurable processor clock can be configured according to people to try a taste.
J4 is a configurable processor NOS operating mode, the default is NOS1, but most users believe NOS2 sound much better than the default NOS1.
J5 is the Voice configuration, the default is neutral, can be configured to compare supple.
J6 input data is a synchronization pattern configuration, the default synchronous mild, but poor quality if the signal source, large jitter, high phase noise, etc., can be configured to enhance the synchronization.
Another comment relative to the clock signal:
There are three clock signals.
Hardware clock is 98M.
PLL1 is 196M.
PLL2 is 294M.
My NOS7 mod has returned, but I will not get the chance to check it for a couple weeks unfortunately due to the day job...

Cheers!

Jul 6, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #79 of 286
  200hs of burn-in on my NOS 5/Amanero upgrade. Today I played a little bit more with DSP setting again. After going back and forth, this is what I turned up liking the most so far:

- PLL off (a llite bit more focus in general)
- NOS mode 2 (doght I like mode 1, I find mode 2 much more detailed and open)
- Neutral (smoother is just to soft for my ears/system)
- Asynch 2 (I find Asynch 1 muting to much on the lower frequencies)

Overall I still think this is not a subtle change from Ref 5.32 in NOS mode to NOS 5/Amanero, but a massive one!...in a good way, of course.

Can you please share your findings and setup so far?

Cheers!

Thank you for the description. Which jumper is J5? What are the options and what does it do? (Neutral, and smoother?) It is not on the DSP-1 description on the first page.
Also, is Asynchronous mode 2 with J6 On?

Jul 7, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #80 of 286
I have been trying the NOS mode 1 & mode 2 for a few days both in the speakers system and headphone system. Eventually the Mode NOS1 is my favorite. More true sound in mode of NOS1 despite the soundstage seams more wider in NOS 2.

Jul 7, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #81 of 286
  Thank you for the description. Which jumper is J5? What are the options and what does it do? (Neutral, and smoother?) It is not on the DSP-1 description on the first page.
Also, is Asynchronous mode 2 with J6 On?

here are the settings explained:

http://audio-gd.com/Pro/NOS/NOS7/NOS7EN_Use.htm

Jul 7, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #82 of 286
I have been trying the NOS mode 1 & mode 2 for a few days both in the speakers system and headphone system. Eventually the Mode NOS1 is my favorite. More true sound in mode of NOS1 despite the soundstage seams more wider in NOS 2.

Thanks for your input qqqfunny. I will try again with Mode 1 after 500hs of burn-in. I'll let you know.

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #83 of 286
Going to change my reference 7 to add amanero usb and NOS mod. Can't wait to try after reading all the feedback in this thread

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #85 of 286
Will do when I get it all installed. Just paid for the amanero and clock module. Did those who ordered clock module from kingwa get the needed resistor and capacitor from him? reason being the resistor value are not common in australia and not ready available from local electronic shops.

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #86 of 286
  Will do when I get it all installed. Just paid for the amanero and clock module. Did those who ordered clock module from kingwa get the needed resistor and capacitor from him? reason being the resistor value are not common in australia and not ready available from local electronic shops.

Indeed. Everything comes ready to solder. Have fun! :wink:

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #87 of 286
that's great :). Anyone here has done NOS or amanero install for their ref7?

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #88 of 286
Hi Mahdi8,

You need to discuss this/Your upgrade with Kingwa. The Ref7 may not be that easy to upgrade. 

I have rebuilt mine by changing both motherboard and back plate to first be Master-7 and now NOS-7.

The upfgrade is absolutely worth to get done. The result is fantastic. But.If You don't feel confident to do what's needed You should take the help from Audio-gd or another skilled technician.

Well, I wish the best of luck with this. Please dialogue this matter with Kingwa to sort out how much work and money this upgrade really means.

Best regards/Jan

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #89 of 286
  Hi Mahdi8,

You need to discuss this/Your upgrade with Kingwa. The Ref7 may not be that easy to upgrade. 

I have rebuilt mine by changing both motherboard and back plate to first be Master-7 and now NOS-7.

The upfgrade is absolutely worth to get done. The result is fantastic. But.If You don't feel confident to do what's needed You should take the help from Audio-gd or another skilled technician.

Well, I wish the best of luck with this. Please dialogue this matter with Kingwa to sort out how much work and money this upgrade really means.

Best regards/Jan

Yup I did all the discussion with KingWa before I purchase the clock and amanero USB and get all the needed info. Reference 7 has been added to his guide along with the modification diagram for the DSP board. Money wise it only cost me $150 worth of parts total with the amanero board and a flasher

Just checking if anyone has done this also. That being said how much did it cost you to replace the board to master 7?

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #90 of 286
@ Mahdi8:

"That being said how much did it cost you to replace the board to master 7?".

I had to check my email archive. It was back in 2012 and I did a combined purchase of multiple upgrades. That said. The price was 300 USD and the back plate was 20 USD.

I know I got a very fair price then, because beeing a good/frequent customer. It is propably a bit higher today..But it can give You a hint anyway.

/Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back