Audio-GD Master 9
May 11, 2024 at 12:38 AM Post #2,566 of 2,624
Interesting device for "downsizing" a set-up. Just add to it a DAC and speakers or HPs.
Go even further. Enleum 23R. Now thats downsizing!

---

A comparison between the two could be very interesting

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 2:51 AM Post #2,567 of 2,624
Its still bigger then all non audio gd amps so why would anyone recommend it if you need to save space :)
Interesting device for "downsizing" a set-up. Just add to it a DAC and speakers or HPs.

May 11, 2024 at 3:34 AM Post #2,568 of 2,624
Its still bigger then all non audio gd amps so why would anyone recommend it if you need to save space :)
I did actually think of it as I wanted to downsize. If I could compare it with Enleum 23R it would be interesting. Even more interesting when they get the DAC ready for the ENLINK(Like the ACSS) input on the 23R. I just hope they decide on R2R:L3000:

That combo would be the most anticipated combo I guess.

May 11, 2024 at 3:53 AM Post #2,569 of 2,624
The reason I'm asking about the Master 9P is because I was cross shopping it with the dual mono stack from Flux Labs (M-Field specifically). I need a fair bit of power and voltage for the Tungsten's, and the 9P seems like the only headamp Kingwa provides that meets the requirements. Since I was already shopping for a new R2R DAC as well, that led me here after many, many hours of reading.

This would definitely save some money and be a less complicated set up, while keeping everything Audio GD for ACSS.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 6:19 AM Post #2,570 of 2,624
Doing the calculations, it seems like the HE-9 LE/MK3 are also just barely within the recommended spec for Tungsten's. Given that the HE-9's are regarded as the step up from the M9's, I'm wondering if having that additional power/voltage/current would be more beneficial versus the higher model.

Hoping someone smarter and more experienced can help.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 6:42 AM Post #2,571 of 2,624
Doing the calculations, it seems like the HE-9 LE/MK3 are also just barely within the recommended spec for Tungsten's. Given that the HE-9's are regarded as the step up from the M9's, I'm wondering if having that additional power/voltage/current would be more beneficial versus the higher model.

HE-9 LE is good, thanks to its fully ACSS/current design for hungry headphones both preamp and headamp. I do enjoy it with Susvara. For me it is endgame headamp for every headphone. Remarkable even with HE400SE. The cheapest DAC sounds amazing on it. Even the 200dollar ones. It just unlocks performances.

I have not tested the Master19/9mk3. I would only go with the HE-9 LE for the power, even though I do enjoy it with HE400SE on the SE/unbalanced output. On this output the volume is about the same with Susvara on XLR/Unbalanced.

May 11, 2024 at 7:32 AM Post #2,572 of 2,624
HE-9 LE is good, thanks to its fully ACSS/current design for hungry headphones both preamp and headamp. I do enjoy it with Susvara. For me it is endgame headamp for every headphone. Remarkable even with HE400SE. The cheapest DAC sounds amazing on it. Even the 200dollar ones. It just unlocks performances.

I have not tested the Master19/9mk3. I would only go with the HE-9 LE for the power, even though I do enjoy it with HE400SE on the SE/unbalanced output. On this output the volume is about the same with Susvara on XLR/Unbalanced.

Ah, sorry, when I wrote "M9's" I meant the Master 9P N/S. Was at work and didn't think about the confusing wording. Lol

Yeah, absolutely. Everything I've read leaves me no doubt that the HE-9 LE/MK3 or R-27HE would provide me with I want. And I doubt there's very many people other than Kingwa that have heard those models versus the Master 9P. I'll send him an email.

May 11, 2024 at 7:48 AM Post #2,573 of 2,624
Ah, sorry, when I wrote "M9's" I meant the Master 9P N/S. Was at work and didn't think about the confusing wording. Lol

Yeah, absolutely. Everything I've read leaves me no doubt that the HE-9 LE/MK3 or R-27HE would provide me with I want. And I doubt there's very many people other than Kingwa that have heard those models versus the Master 9P. I'll send him an email.

To make a tiny comparison, take the Schiit Rag 2 for example. Similar to the Master 9p in that its a headphone amp/preamp/speaker amp. Schiit has said that The Rag 2 is more of a speaker amp first than a headamp, so there is a good chance that the Master 9p is in the same boat. I would put Audio-GD on a higher level than Schiit. My guess is that the Master 9p is equally as good in sound quality as earlier Master 9 models before the recent LE/HE revisions. The Master 9p has quite a bit more power to the headphones than the HE9-LE. Only Kingwa could really tell you which sounds the best, to which he will probably say the HE-mk3. But if you want a AIO for headphones and speakers, the 9p is probably outstanding. Audio-GD does very good updates to their designs over time. I have no doubt that the differences in the 9p are mostly just power delivery and slight tonal shifts.

May 11, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #2,574 of 2,624

Advice: Also do NOT put any headphone on speaker taps. It is soo, a stupid idea, and only show the weakness of findings, if there is any, from given experience. I will not tell you why, because I discovered just today why people do such ignorance.

Trust me it is all in the source. Every secret you are looking for. Yes headphone may need power. Going to the extreme of speaker taps = weakness of findings/experience

--
EDIT:
@Nayyte what a timing, even though it had nothing to do with your post :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #2,575 of 2,624
To make a tiny comparison, take the Schiit Rag 2 for example. Similar to the Master 9p in that its a headphone amp/preamp/speaker amp. Schiit has said that The Rag 2 is more of a speaker amp first than a headamp, so there is a good chance that the Master 9p is in the same boat. I would put Audio-GD on a higher level than Schiit. My guess is that the Master 9p is equally as good in sound quality as earlier Master 9 models before the recent LE/HE revisions. The Master 9p has quite a bit more power to the headphones than the HE9-LE. Only Kingwa could really tell you which sounds the best, to which he will probably say the HE-mk3. But if you want a AIO for headphones and speakers, the 9p is probably outstanding. Audio-GD does very good updates to their designs over time. I have no doubt that the differences in the 9p are mostly just power delivery and slight tonal shifts.
I had the Rag 2 and in my system, to my ears, it performed better as a headphone amp than a speaker amp.
I really liked it as a headphone amp, actually.
Maybe this is just my confirmation bias kicking in but I prefer my Master 19. It has more character and not as linear.

May 11, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #2,576 of 2,624
I had the Rag 2 and in my system, to my ears, it performed better as a headphone amp than a speaker amp.
I really liked it as a headphone amp, actually.
Maybe this is just my confirmation bias kicking in but I prefer my Master 19. It has more character and not as linear.

Yeah, I remember talking about the Rag2 with you a bit a while back. I ended up returning it. Could have just been gear synergy, but didn't like it's sound signature whatsoever.

Yeah, that's kinda what I've gathered from reading. I'm not worried about power/pre-amp for speakers, just getting enough current/voltage for Tungsten's mainly. For AIO's I'd definitely consider the R-27HE, though I'm having a hard time discerning what other models it combines. I feel like I read about it somewhere, but can't find it upon searching.

Advice: Also do NOT put any headphone on speaker taps. It is soo, a stupid idea, and only show the weakness of findings, if there is any, from given experience. I will not tell you why, because I discovered just today why people do such ignorance.

Trust me it is all in the source. Every secret you are looking for. Yes headphone may need power. Going to the extreme of speaker taps = weakness of findings/experience

--
EDIT:
@Nayyte what a timing, even though it had nothing to do with your post :gs1000smile:

Had no intentions of using the speaker taps. Just the headphone out. Lol

May 11, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #2,577 of 2,624

They are probably trying to sell it as an improved 9 hench the naming.

--
EDIT:
I would strongly advice using speaker taps. My 20$ receiver beats just about everything. I havent done a comparison with the master19 yet though may be the giant killer.

But main rule be pragmatic.

May 11, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #2,578 of 2,624
thanks to its fully ACSS/current design for hungry headphones both preamp and headamp
I've read many times planars need more current then voltage... so I kinda get the statement but why/how would I benefit when using it as preamp? Let's say in front of an OTC tube amp especially... what would change in comparison to using said tube amp directley to the DAC?

May 11, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #2,579 of 2,624
I've read many times planars need more current then voltage... so I kinda get the statement but why/how would I benefit when using it as preamp? Let's say in front of an OTC tube amp especially... what would change in comparison to using said tube amp directley to the DAC?
Ohh yeah I meant ACSS output connectors which is for audio-gd amps....so no fully in that term :sweat_smile:

However it seems still the whole amp is designed around ACSS.
1715448654575.png

May 12, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #2,580 of 2,624
Ohh yeah I meant ACSS output connectors which is for audio-gd amps....so no fully in that term :sweat_smile:

However it seems still the whole amp is designed around ACSS.
1715448654575.png
Do ACSS really make a difference? I am trying now with the NFB10.32 together with the Master19 but there is no difference in sound acss vs rca at all :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back