Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp
Sep 21, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #31 of 878
I would opt for the  5 if you're using with D7000 headphones. I think the Master-6 is really aimed at HE-6 and LCD-2 owners only, and I do think you'd be stuck at a very low volume setting. I don't even need 9 o'clock on my NFB-10 to drive the HE-6, and it has very similar output power to the Master-6. The 5 should sound better just because of the class A power supply.

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #34 of 878
[size=x-small]50 ohm:   1700MW
100 ohm: 2400MW
300 ohm: 1200MW
600 ohm:   600MW
[/size]
[size=x-small](Balanced , Class A)[/size]

[size=x-small]Phoenix has:[/size]
25 ohm: 1000MW
62 ohm: 2500MW
100 ohm: 3000MW
300 ohm: 1800MW
600 ohm: 900MW

Still a lot of juice IMO and it's why I choosing it over the 6.

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #35 of 878
Surprised the Phoenix has more power than the Master 5. I think your choice of the Master 5 is still good though. I think even the Master 5 would be able to drive HE-6 to a decent level, depending on source. Too much power is a bad thing if you're dealing with those Denons.

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #36 of 878
Hey guys, if possible, would sm1 mind posting some comparisons of se vs balanced for the master 5. Thanks

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #37 of 878

Quote:
Surprised the Phoenix has more power than the Master 5. I think your choice of the Master 5 is still good though. I think even the Master 5 would be able to drive HE-6 to a decent level, depending on source. Too much power is a bad thing if you're dealing with those Denons.

I am most interested in it as a preamp first (to my C10SE), head amp second.

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #38 of 878
Just a short notion: It is possible to order both - Master-5 and Master-6 with custom (lowered) gain.

Do not know how would this affect preamp function, but lowering the gain would make much better use of both volume control scales for headphone listening. I reckon Master-6 with +6dB/+9dB gain could be a cracker for HE-x and the likes.

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #40 of 878

Quote:
Are you asking me about getting both? If so, I can't do that but I get what you mean. You get the 6 and I'll get the 5 and we can trade opinions based on our headphones (you know you want one).

I think he is asking if both can be ordered with reduced gain. Not both at the same time but if both have that option to be ordered that way. That's what I gathered from his post anyway, I could be wrong.

Sep 23, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #41 of 878
Huh... didn't expect to be so unclear... Sup got me right, but just in case let me rephrase: Both - Master-5 and Master-6 have custom (lowered) gain option when ordering one/any/either/each of them.
biggrin.gif

...and yes Tim - I want one, but for the time being my wallet puts veto on that... and yes - it would be 6 (except the output transistors, the whole 6, including pre-drive output stage is the same as 5 -- pure class A, not to mention that those 8-9W will firmly grip my HE-5, HE-500 and melt my other phones).

Man... just recently I've maxxed my Roc and now it really kicks a**. It should put my headamp upgradeitis to rest for some time, but no... The irony is that in the process I've empirically learned that even small PSU upgrade (4 caps) can make quite perceivable difference. I can only imagine what kind of improvement those dual mono parallel multi stage class A Master PSU sections are carrying with them. Well... once I finish fixing and maxxing my RE-1/7 I hope...

Sep 25, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #43 of 878

Quote:
Are you asking me about getting both? If so, I can't do that but I get what you mean. You get the 6 and I'll get the 5 and we can trade opinions based on our headphones (you know you want one).

beerchug.gif
I look forward to your impressions Tim to say the least.

Quote:
Huh... didn't expect to be so unclear... Sup got me right, but just in case let me rephrase: Both - Master-5 and Master-6 have custom (lowered) gain option when ordering one/any/either/each of them.
biggrin.gif

...and yes Tim - I want one, but for the time being my wallet puts veto on that... and yes - it would be 6 (except the output transistors, the whole 6, including pre-drive output stage is the same as 5 -- pure class A, not to mention that those 8-9W will firmly grip my HE-5, HE-500 and melt my other phones).

Man... just recently I've maxxed my Roc and now it really kicks a**. It should put my headamp upgradeitis to rest for some time, but no... The irony is that in the process I've empirically learned that even small PSU upgrade (4 caps) can make quite perceivable difference. I can only imagine what kind of improvement those dual mono parallel multi stage class A Master PSU sections are carrying with them. Well... once I finish fixing and maxxing my RE-1/7 I hope...

Absolutely right FD....I've been waiting to hear from you on the MAX front....now to get that source completed
evil_smiley.gif
. The PSU MAX mod for the Phoenix made for a considerable improvement...there is no reason for you not to expect big gains once the RE7/RE1 are done.

PM me in a few weeks with your impressions of the MAXed ROC if you have time...I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Peete.

Sep 26, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #45 of 878
Shipping today (along with NFB10SE) so maybe end of next week sometime.

Good times ahead for Tim... We are all ears (and eyes).
beerchug.gif

Absolutely right FD....I've been waiting to hear from you on the MAX front....now to get that source completed
evil_smiley.gif

Getting there Peete, getting there:

It's been sooo long since I've last heard RE-1/7... almost 10 months of listening to DacMagic. It's funny how you adapt to it and it sounds good to you... OK, DM was "sligthly" modified, powered by Little Pinkie, combined with Audiophilleo2, XLRed to MAXed Roc... but still...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back