Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp
Jun 12, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #288 of 878
Jun 12, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #289 of 878
From the Audio-gd website:

[size=small]How to choose the output models in Master-8 :[/size][size=small] [/size]
[size=x-small]                     Master-8 have a switch on rear can select between high power model and low power model base on different headphones request . ( Before select , Must power off and waiting least 10 seconds ) , both models are working on without "switch distortion" Class A state.
                     Master-8 have a switch on rear can select the gain boost on XLR and RCA input model for some low output level source can cooperate with Master-8 perform high power output. ( Before select please lower the volume at first )[/size]

Jul 8, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #290 of 878
Guys, I like Audio Gd sound signature, usually smooth, relax transient, I seriously consider Master 8 (7 Watt for LCD-2
basshead.gif
, my LCD-2 will thank me for that), I think it will pair nicely with my Ref 7.1.

Does anyone has Master 8 (or 6) and Lehmann BCL can do some sound comparison?  It is not to replace BCL as I like the signature A LOT, but you know, I need something BETTER! 
biggrin.gif

Thanks.

Jul 8, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #291 of 878
Has anyone try using SE headphone with it?  cos I do not have any intention to convert my headphone to balance.

With Phoenix, the SE performance is so-so, I'm afraid Master 8 too (hope not),  That will be very dissapointing for me

Jul 8, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #292 of 878
Quote:
Guys, I like Audio Gd sound signature, usually smooth, relax transient, I seriously consider Master 8 (7 Watt for LCD-2
basshead.gif
, my LCD-2 will thank me for that), I think it will pair nicely with my Ref 7.1.

Does anyone has Master 8 (or 6) and Lehmann BCL can do some sound comparison?  It is not to replace BCL as I like the signature A LOT, but you know, I need something BETTER! 
biggrin.gif

Thanks.

Master 5/6/8 & Ref 7.1 is seriously impressive - end game - performance (if we would ever accept such a thing!) You wont be disappointed. 
As far as single ended, the amp performs really well - surprisingly well. I tried it out when testing some RCA cables. 
Also used it for a while with SE Sig Pro's & Beyer T1's before I re cabled them. Although there is a clear step up again when going balanced and it seems mad to own such an elaborate flagship amp and not use it's capabilities?? 

Jul 8, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #293 of 878
I use my unbalanced T1's with the  Master-6. Sounds very good but hope to re-terminate soon.
But it is a balanced amp and if you don't intend to use it that way,especially as you already have a balanced DAC, you won't reap the full benefits.

As for the 'relax transient' quote, I think you are hearing your source rather than the amp. With the NFB-7 transient rich nusic is quite stunning and extremely fast. Certainly not 'relaxed' unless the music is that way.

Jul 8, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #294 of 878
The reason I don't do balance is because I'm not believer in Balance other than it gives louder sound, sorry guys.  For long distance, yes ...

My Leben is only single ended, but it sounds as nice (if not better) than majority of anything out there.

My only worry is, if Master 8 SE is only 'after thought' and not given enough attention to the sound quality.
Anyway, there's already a lot of threads dedicated to Balance vs SE performance and I don't want to derail this thread, I just want to know the reality for Master 8 itself, if SE is seriously designed or just for convenience.

Jul 8, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #295 of 878
Master 8 is designed to be a balanced amplifier, the components and topology were designed to be used in a certain way and reflect the design philosophy.  You can get some idea of the reason/intention he uses balanced toplogy, current signalling and other aspects from the AudioGD website.

In my understanding it can be used single ended but you are paying for functionality and components you are not using.

Jul 8, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #296 of 878
It's ok :)  I want the best performance out from SE connection. 

Will I still get 7 watts per channel out from SE connection?  or will I get just half of that?

At least, I can still utilize ACSS performance connecting to Ref 7.1

Jul 8, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #297 of 878
Quote:
It's ok :)  I want the best performance out from SE connection. 

Will I still get 7 watts per channel out from SE connection?  or will I get just half of that?

At least, I can still utilize ACSS performance connecting to Ref 7.1

As far as I am aware, no, you wont get the full 7 watts. 

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #298 of 878
The Master 6 is a great amp, either SE or Balanced. SE is not an afterthought.  I have no plans of balancing my TH900 or W3000ANV. I've heard my Phoenix (balanced) and a Leben at a meet and didn't think I was missing anything. It would be hard to imagine that you would be disappointed with the 7.1 > ACSS > Master 8 to whatever. I would get a balanced cable for the Audeze for power sake, but you probably will still get approx 2/3 to 3/4's volume SE.

Jul 8, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #299 of 878
Redbull: I am surprised you say you are not a believer in balanced yet you have a balanced DAC! I don't know what outputs you are using from the DAC but if they are RCA then you are probably missing out on what the DAC is capable off.

As regards power I use a volume level on my unbalanced T1's only slightly below my balanced HE6's. I could be wrong but it's always been stated that using any balanced Audio-gd amp single ended menas using half the amp and therefore half the output power.

The master-6/8 does have a good single ended output BUT it was designed for balance use and using it single ended would be like buying a super fast sports car and only use it to go to the shops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back