Audio-gd Master-5/6/8/9 balanced head amp/ preamp
Jan 30, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #169 of 878
I'll post some impressions when I get mine in 2 weeks. I had to wait over a month due to the Chinese holiday. 
Also does anyone know if the master 5 will drive the he6 well on high gain??

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #170 of 878
Quote:
I'll post some impressions when I get mine in 2 weeks. I had to wait over a month due to the Chinese holiday. 

I think the Master-6 is the one for HE-6. It delivers 7 Watts in 50 Ohms.

If you already have the HE-6, then time will tell you, but if you haven't, I wouldn't recommend it with the Master-5, since it is "only" 1,7 Watts in 50 Ohms. The Master-6 is 7 Watts, so that's more than four times as much. I haven't seen anybody recommend lower wattage than 5 Watts for the HE-6 (HiFiMan EF6). Also be aware that 5 Watts in class A (the EF6 is running class A) will be able to deliver more current than a class A/B design - if I understand this correctly.

On the other hand - if you use (or plan to use) Audeze LCD-2, LCD-3, HiFiMan HE-500 or a regular dynamic headphone, then the Master-5 will be the one to go for.

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #171 of 878

Quote:

Does the Master-5 have a selectable gain setting?
If not how are you going to select high gain?

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #173 of 878

Quote:
There is no gain adjustment on the Master-5

Yes just as I thought.

On another note, does anyone know if the Roc/Phoenix bias mod is possible on the Master-5/6?
Probably have to ask Kingwa but thought I would ask here first.

Jan 31, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #174 of 878

Quote:
There is no gain adjustment on the Master-5

Oh, ok - didn't know that. I don't own the He6 - if I did I would have ordered the master 6 for sure. With D7000, HD650's customs and maybe a LCD rev2 in the future, the master 5 is the way for me.

Does anyone know how the little dot mk6+ compares to the master 5/6??

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #176 of 878

Quote:
On another note, does anyone know if the Roc/Phoenix bias mod is possible on the Master-5/6?
Probably have to ask Kingwa but thought I would ask here first.

IMO the output voltage mod isn't really all that worthwhile - IME Kingwa knows what he is doing with the factory settings.  Any adjustments make the sound either mushy or shouty.

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #177 of 878

Quote:
Oh, ok - didn't know that. I don't own the He6 - if I did I would have ordered the master 6 for sure. With D7000, HD650's customs and maybe a LCD rev2 in the future, the master 5 is the way for me.

Does anyone know how the little dot mk6+ compares to the master 5/6??

LD mk vi + compares well to the master 6. They have different flavours as you'd expect with tube vs ss, but with the tubes I have (mullard ecc 35's and sylvania 7236's) I wouldn't rate the sq of the 6 higher. Since I put in the 7236's, on high gain the LD is more powerful than the 6.

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #178 of 878

Quote:
LD mk vi + compares well to the master 6. They have different flavours as you'd expect with tube vs ss, but with the tubes I have (mullard ecc 35's and sylvania 7236's) I wouldn't rate the sq of the 6 higher. Since I put in the 7236's, on high gain the LD is more powerful than the 6.

Wow, the mk6+ really is stellar value. I was hoping however that the master 5 would be an improvement considering the price diff and the value of audo_gd. What DAC are using with it & what cans??

Feb 1, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #179 of 878
i still have a little time to choose either master 5 or 6.

i don't have he6, but 7 watts is  very attractive.

now i am using es10 and dt880 250 ohm, do you think it is too loud if i take master 6. 

please give some comments.

Feb 1, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #180 of 878

Quote:
Wow, the mk6+ really is stellar value. I was hoping however that the master 5 would be an improvement considering the price diff and the value of audo_gd. What DAC are using with it & what cans??

With the cost of the upgraded tubes the prices are much closer ( If I count all the tubes I have been through to reach this point, I have spent more on the LD). I have the ref 7.1 Dac. LCD-3, HE-6, D7000.
The 6 is also a lot more versatile with lots more inputs and outputs and functions better as an SE amp than the LD, and is much more solidly built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back