Audio-gd fun or Nuforce Icon HDP? I need a dac/amp for my work rig, and I'm stymied...
May 16, 2010 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

TheWuss

Reviewer at Headphone.Guru
hey guys,
i haven't started a thread in a while, so i figured i might be due one.  haha.
biggrin.gif

i'm currently using a hifiman ef2a at work, and i've been pretty disappointed and frustrated with it since i bought it.  so, i'm ready to move on, and want to get something nicer, but still want to stick to an all-in-one gadget.

right now, i'm looking at spending no more than $450.  if that number sounds arbitrary, it's not.  it's the price of a nuforce icon hdp - the most expensive option i've entertained thus far.

here are some criteria i'd like to meet:
preamp out for my powered desktop speakers.
headphone amp capable of driving high and low impedence cans. (cuz i never know which cans i'll be using at work)
good sounding dac with usb and coaxial inputs.
footprint and size don't necessarily matter, but smaller would be nice i guess.

right now the audio-gd fun is a front runner.  as is the nuforce icon hdp.
unless i'm mistaken, the audio-gd sparrow is out of the picture because it doesn't have RCA preamp out.  otherwise, it would be in the hunt as well for its attractive price and compact size...

regarding the nuforce hdp, it is at least a hundred more than the fun.  and i guess i'm seeking some sort of validation that the extra money may be worth it.  problem is, finding a solid review other than headphone addict's for the hdp is nigh on impossible.  and i certainly don't think anyone here will have heard both and can provide that kind of insight...  furthermore, when i search the forum, all is see is dozens of them for sale.  that is troubling, considering the hdp only came out earlier this year.

and, regarding the audio-gd products.  i've almost come to believe that i'm destined to not own any of kingwa's equipment.  because every time i'm ready to buy something from him, he's out of stock of some important part, and it will be weeks before he has products ready to ship.  and while i'm waiting, i decide to go a different direction altogether.  (you guys know the syndrome pretty well, i'm sure...)

also...  i'm willing to entertain other products.  even "bargain" products such as the matrix mini-i, if they are truly of good quality and dependable.  however, this burned me already with the ef2a.  i thought i'd be getting a nice upgrade for work.  and, turns out the ef2a has caused me more frustration than it has given me enjoyment.  oh well...

so, guys. help me out here.  how do the fun and hdp compare?  has anyone actually heard both?
any other dac/amp for less than 450 that i should be considering?

thanks, guys!
rock on!

d(-_-)b

-the wuss

May 16, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 13
Don't worry about the sparrow using headphone out as preamp, I have used it for a while with my own gold plated stereo to 2 rca adapter to computer speakers, and it sounds fantastic, just keep the volume at 12 o clock

May 16, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 13
I have extensively tried out the HDP via HPO and RCA output to a floor standers.

HDP resolution is one of the best for its price unless you want to DIY..
It works great for pop and rock and any highly detailed music but does badly with vocals most feed back it doesn't sound human , the bass extension is deep yet very nice sound stage with merging details - you don't listen to speakers anymore, it disappears.
Separation is quite awesome.

HDP is on the warmer side of neutral due to the preamp i believe, a very nice combo for a work rig if you don't listen to vocals.

If you wanna get a interconnect, would recommend a hybrid of copper silver so that it won't be over kill bright.
With aftermarket powercords, the pre amp became more robust and dynamic with alot of headroom at the highs and lows.

HDP is not too forward yet not too laid back.
Price tag is abit hefty imho but other than that, overall it is a very well designed set, can't really fault it for what it is.

May 18, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 13
well.  was going to pull the trigger on the sparrow, but guess what?  kingwa is out of a necessary component.

this time, it's the usb chip.  apparently he's not only out of it, but the chip is now out of production.  i foresee some serious delays for any audio-gd stuff with usb input.

back to the drawing board...
i'm gonna do some more reading, and keep my eyes peeled for just the right thing - small, powerful, usb input, rca preamp out, etc.

thanks, guys.

May 18, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 13
I got the Version A USB sparrow yesterday (lucky me), and I am very impressed by the quality it outputs. I highly recommend it, but if there is anything you want to know, ask me here.

May 18, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
Don't worry about the sparrow using headphone out as preamp, I have used it for a while with my own gold plated stereo to 2 rca adapter to computer speakers, and it sounds fantastic, just keep the volume at 12 o clock

I was actually curious about this too. On their website, it says that it won't affect the SQ by using the headphone jack + rca adapter as preamp out. Does it really work as well as the FUN which has the rca out preamp at the back? I was going to purchase the Sparrow and use it with my headphone and powered computer speakers last week but was told that it was out of stock:frowning2:. Anyways, what speakers are you using with it? Also, do you have to pay extra for the adapter?

Thanks.
(Wish you could give comparison between the Sparrow and the Fun if you have heard the FUN as well:)

May 19, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 13
I've read about this in multiple threads on head-fi now. Can someone explain to me why USB is so coveted? There are multiple USB to SPDIF converters. Seems like that would be the logical choice over straight USB?

May 19, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
I was actually curious about this too. On their website, it says that it won't affect the SQ by using the headphone jack + rca adapter as preamp out. Does it really work as well as the FUN which has the rca out preamp at the back? I was going to purchase the Sparrow and use it with my headphone and powered computer speakers last week but was told that it was out of stock:frowning2:. Anyways, what speakers are you using with it? Also, do you have to pay extra for the adapter?

Thanks.
(Wish you could give comparison between the Sparrow and the Fun if you have heard the FUN as well:)

I don't have a FUN, but I have compass, and the sparrow is better in many areas, but I do think compass has a nice natural sound to it. I have only tested with recabled Sony DF30 computer speakers, not my fullsized speakers. The sound is good out of preamp, but I can't test sparrow out of lineout because it doesn't have it :p.

I would remind people that Kingwa actually suggests testing headphone out as DAC lineout on the FUN. He says the gain modules in the amp may improve sound quality.

The items will only be out of stock temporarily. Bad timing, but they will find an alternative eventually. People like built-in USB support because it is less clutter and cheaper :).

May 22, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #12 of 13
I'm considering loaning you an HDP to try out, but I didn't find a feedback thread for you.  I'm a bit wary about sending it out to a newer forum member with no positive feedback yet.  I can say that it's better than the EF2 and I believe it will do everything you want, but I have never heard the less costly Fun to compare them.  Doesn't Nuforce have a return policy that you can get a refund if you don't like it?  I would check about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back