Audio-gd DIY TDA1541AS2 DAC
May 24, 2019 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

JaMo

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Yesterday I received a big box from China.

A few months back when Kingwa and Audio-gd announced about the ”hobby-project”, the optimized TDA1541AS2 dac, I couldn't hold myself back. I have a weakness for the 1541-sound. From memory I found the sound soft and easy flowing... Maybe too soft.. Also the regenerated powersupply in the TDA-dac attracted me. Link: http://www.audio-gd.com/TDA1541S2/TDA1541EN.htm

When Kingwa explained that the only choice for a matching circuit design was his Diamond Differential and that the capacitors had to be the RIFA PHE426 or the PHE450's, I believe him 100%. The TDA1541A can absolutely sing beautifully if they are implemented right and with Kingwa's ”body of knowledge”, I am confident that it will be at its best. Kingwa is actually living audio designs and has gathered a massive stock of this knowledge through the years. Still doing it.

In my case, I have an old Quad 66 CD-player with a reading problem that hold a TDA1541AS1 Single Crown chip. So I only need to get another one.... I let Kingwa know about my plans.. I read up on this subject with the selections criterias of the TDA15141A. I bought a cheap and ugly Rotel CD-player that hold a TDA1541A, unsoldered the chip and then I had two chips... This to start with in my continous hunt for another Quad 66 CD player to get a perfect match (S1 Single Crown)..

During my readings on the internet I found an old DIY-thread that ”died” 2007. The thread had a few members that had bought the most desired version, the TDA1541AS2 Double Crown.

I sent a PM to a member in the thread and ”Bingo!”. He answered: -Yes, I still have them.
I bought the pair, of course. The Quad 66 CD-search was called off. Kingwa got my definitive order of the DIY TDA-dac.

The Big Box came yesterday, as said and I put in the S1/A chips for a few weeks burn in and initial testing before the S2's goes in.

This HUGE dac really sings beautifully already. The ”missmatch” of the present chips inside is impossible to spot. The plain A-chip is a good pair to the S1. I think I was lucky to find the ugly Rotel player. The specific serie of the A-chip also has selected (S1 single crowns and S1 Double Crowns).

This dac is a ”Statement, a tribute to the TDA1541A. One of the best dac-chips of the 90's” The dac is HUGE, also the sound is. The sound is rich and embracing.

My new experience with this regenerated power inside the TDA-dac is definately a success. If You have the funds, go for the regenerated power supply. It brings authority, space, clarity, lush, black background...to another level.

To just give an idea of its size.... Here placed over the Master 3 and the left side, the pile of Master 1 (preamp) , NFB27.77 and the R2R-7. (Headphones are HE500 and HE6)

/Jan

WP_20190524_09_55_46_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 19
Hi,

Yesterday I received a big box from China.

/Jan

Wow Jan.
My dac sound so good with the regular xos and v1 boards, i am tempted to keep it and order a r2r-7 he with all the goodies. You excentricity is quite inspiring. The thought of being without a top-shelf dac for one month at least to have my r7 upgraded is affecting my sleep.

Nice acquisition! You must hold a record for how many audio-gd gears you currently own.

May 24, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #3 of 19
Wow Jan.
My dac sound so good with the regular xos and v1 boards, i am tempted to keep it and order a r2r-7 he with all the goodies. You excentricity is quite inspiring. The thought of being without a top-shelf dac for one month at least to have my r7 upgraded is affecting my sleep.

Nice acquisition! You must hold a record for how many audio-gd gears you currently own.

Hi Fred,

Yes, it is pretty sick.. Haha! I choose to take that positive ; )

As I wrote. Go for the "HE" when You're at it, anyway.

/Jan

May 24, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 19
Hi Fred,

Yes, the Accusilicon XO's are inside. There are alot of counterfeits around because of this chips popularity, so it is hard to say.
/Jan
I am really tempted with getting the r7 he. The treble is so smooth with the m3 and this amp is so organic by itself in its non feedback version that it is a great match for the r7. So i just assume it would be audio nirvana with the latest and greatest HE. Another benefit is it being less affected by the grid.

May 24, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #8 of 19
I am really tempted with getting the r7 he. The treble is so smooth with the m3 and this amp is so organic by itself in its non feedback version that it is a great match for the r7. So i just assume it would be audio nirvana with the latest and greatest HE. Another benefit is it being less affected by the grid.

Yes, I agree. I think You should go for the HE. It is rather alot of money but the listening to Your jazz music, is priceless in Your life, right.(?) The time will propably come when You can sell off the R7 to the right appreciating, new owner.

/Jan

Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #9 of 19
A
Yes, I agree. I think You should go for the HE. It is rather alot of money but the listening to Your jazz music, is priceless in Your live, right.(?) The time will propably come when You can sell off the R7 to the right appreciating, new owner.

/Jan
Yep, exactly my thoughts. My r7 is excellent condition and will come with a set of Accusilicons at a fair price. One guy at the office could likely be interested. It is still a great dac.

Whatever can make the jazz i listen to even more like it's right there in front of me is pretty much priceless.

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #11 of 19
That is just awesome Jan! Do you use TDA Asy firmware? What DSP mode/ settings do you prefer?

Hi Scott,
Yes, a new family member on steroids.. Asy firmware OS8. It is still burn in on lower budget chips but it has "taken off" very good anyway. Sure look forward to put in the S2's after a few of days.
/Jan

May 25, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #12 of 19
@FredA I am beginning to wonder how much more the 'HE' power supplies can bring to the R7 with the latest mods. My R7 is now so revealing that maybe a few extra dB of grain reduction may be well worth the expense.

May 25, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #13 of 19
Hi Scott, Yes, a new family member on steroids.. Asy firmware OS8. It is still burn in on lower budget chips but it has "taken off" very good anyway. Sure look forward to put in the S2's after a few of days. /Jan

Kingwa is an amazing guy. Where does he find the time? At least those TDA DAC chips are huge and fairly easy to solder! Enjoy!

(Edit: I see the DAC chips are on sockets in the picture! Easy!)

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #14 of 19
@FredA I am beginning to wonder how much more the 'HE' power supplies can bring to the R7 with the latest mods. My R7 is now so revealing that maybe a few extra dB of grain reduction may be well worth the expense.
Yes Scott.

I might even go for the tda. But finding the chips is tough and you may need to desolder them. Quite the job. So my intent is to think about it for a week or so and then order the r7 he and be in peace for quite a long while i hope. :jecklinsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back