Audio-gd DI24/DI24HE
May 19, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #496 of 558
It must be some version of embedded Linux OS. I don't use HQPlayer, can't give exact instruction. Go to the options and find DSD output, it must be something like Native vs DoP (default). I know, that by default is not activated. If such option is not available or grey-out, it must be a problem with Antipodes OS not supporting native DSD. If everything is right on the HQPlayer and Antipodes side, then Amanero firmware optimised for Linux might help.
HQPlayer is all new to me I have very little knowledge on it. There is a option to select Native dsd on the EX player but makes no difference as in HQPlayer embedded DSD will not play unless I tick the DoP in Network Backend option.

May 19, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #497 of 558
HQPlayer is all new to me I have very little knowledge on it. There is a option to select Native dsd on the EX player but makes no difference as in HQPlayer embedded DSD will not play unless I tick the DoP in Network Backend option.
Yes, I see such option in the Antipodes web manual. Check first a native playback with DSD64 files. If still doesn't play, bring it to Antipodes support. It must be something more to do, ie. on the CX side.

May 20, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #498 of 558
Yes, I see such option in the Antipodes web manual. Check first a native playback with DSD64 files. If still doesn't play, bring it to Antipodes support. It must be something more to do, ie. on the CX side.
But surely if it was either the CX or the EX then it would be the same when using USB but that is not the case as it plays fine using USB and plays DSD512 easily?

May 20, 2024 at 3:59 AM Post #499 of 558
But surely if it was either the CX or the EX then it would be the same when using USB but that is not the case as it plays fine using USB and plays DSD512 easily?
Wow, sorry. I assumed there is a problem when using the USB input of DI-24HE. In such case I am wondering how do you connect EX to the DI-24HE. Please describe connection in detail, including what is a DAC connected to DI24HE output.

May 20, 2024 at 4:33 AM Post #500 of 558
Wow, sorry. I assumed there is a problem when using the USB input of DI-24HE. In such case I am wondering how do you connect EX to the DI-24HE. Please describe connection in detail, including what is a DAC connected to DI24HE output.
The EX only has USB output so the USB out from EX goes into the USB input of the DI-24HE and then I2S output from DI-24HE goes into I2S input of the Laiv Dac.

May 20, 2024 at 5:15 AM Post #501 of 558
The EX only has USB output so the USB out from EX goes into the USB input of the DI-24HE and then I2S output from DI-24HE goes into I2S input of the Laiv Dac.
Allright, you meant that Laiv DAC is playing when connected directly to EX. Now is no misunderstanding.

I suggested in this post what to do, it is valid. Start with playing with a native option DSD64 files first. If it does play, then DSD128, etc. Not DSD512 from the beginning. I posted a clue for troubleshoting, I am sure you will understand it later.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 5:17 AM Post #502 of 558
Allright, you meant that Laiv DAC is playing when connected directly to EX. Now is no misunderstanding.

I suggested in this post what to do, it is valid. Start with playing with a native option on DSD64 files first. If does play, then DSD128, etc. Not DSD512 from the beginning. I posted a clue for troubleshoting, I am sure you will understand it later.
DSD64 plays fine and DSD128 but anything higher it will not play or just auto switches to PCM.

May 20, 2024 at 5:52 AM Post #503 of 558
DSD64 plays fine and DSD128 but anything higher it will not play or just auto switches to PCM.
I know already it is playing with DoP option. But I am asking whether it plays the same files with a native option activated.

And honestly, if a native 64 and 128 playback is successful, I expect that it would play DSD256 as well.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #504 of 558
It must be the same as maximum USB rate, as there is no faster input.

Problem you experience is with USB maximum rate. For PCM it is 384khz. DSD is difficult to understand, as there are two transfer methods: DoP and native.

What is your source (device/OS/player)? Your action depends on this.

DoP is supported by any OS, it is encapsulating DSD datastream in PCM frames which translate DSD64 to 176.4kHz and DSD128 to 352.8kHz. As you see, it is already approaching maximum PCM rate. It is why you can't get any further.

For a higher rate than DSD128 you need to force a native DSD transfer over USB which is not supported by Windows. Only few players support native transfers, they will use ASIO interface which is available after installing Amanero drivers.

Check such capability to transfer native DSD with your player. There is also Amanero firmware optimised for Linux, it require to install different drivers when working with Windows. Default firmware is optimised for Windows.
I think you have solved what the issue is. Like you say the USB input on the DI-24HE will only accept Max 384khz so will only show and accept DSD128.
I am having the same issue when upsampling PCM to 768Khz in HQPlayer which is the maximum the Dac will handle but only plays 384khz due to the USB input on the DI-24HE maxing out at 384 khz.
Why only have a maximum of 384khz on the USB input on the DI-24HE does not make sense when USB is capable of higher?

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #505 of 558
I think you have solved what the issue is. Like you say the USB input on the DI-24HE will only accept Max 384khz so will only show and accept DSD128.
It will play DSD256 as well, 90%. Once I get confirmation from you that it plays in a native mode DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256, I am sure that will play DSD512 after making one small step further.
:)

May 23, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #506 of 558
DI-24 / DI-20 support for DSD 512

For all you guys who upsample music to DSD in Roon or HQPlayer DI-24/DI-20 present problem due to couple things. The first one is a limited maximum USB sample rate to 384kHz. Windows UAC 2.0 audio interface (currently WASAPI) do not recognise DSD as a valid audio format, only PCM, so there is a trick with encapsulating DSD datastream in PCM frames, a standard called DoP. With DoP transfers, 384kHz PCM is translated to DSD128.

After loading Amanero drives players like Roon/HQPlayer can transfer DSD in a native format, it increase maximum speed to DSD256. But why not DSD512, it is advertised, right?

One secret is in Amanero firmware. Standard Amanero firmware (as shipped) is called Optimised for Windows.

A second secret is that Amanero has actually two limitations. From the USB side a maximum speed is actually 768kHz. Not advertised, as a second limitation is the output I2S speed which brings it back to 384kHz. However DSD transfer over I2S takes two parallel streams, so the output limitation do not apply!

Amanero has developed an alternative firmware which utilise a higher USB speed limit to push a maximum rate to DSD512. This firmware is called Optimised for Linux, as Windows do not support native DSD transfers and was for a long time in beta with a little interest. However it works with Windows as well. For native DSD transfers it require to load a different version of ASIO driver.

Now those users upsampling to DSD want to activate DSD512. Information I give is also for trolls.
:)

Yes, just load the firmware optimised for Linux. There is a guide for Roon:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/amanero-usb-nativedsd-dsd512-upsampling-with-nuc-rock/165717

Many Linux favours support native DSD transfers out of the box. There is a variety of implementations, it may work for you, check compatibility with your vendor. I suggest to read this post below, as IanCanada became recently an authorised Amanero dealer for US.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...eapon-to-fight-the-jitter.192465/post-6263401

May 23, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #507 of 558
So the link from iamcanada says with the Amanero Linux he was getting 512DSD and 768kHz.
Would that be the same with DI-24HE if the Amanero Linux is used?
Audio-gd state that Amanero Linux supports 512DSD and maximum 384kHz.

May 23, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #508 of 558
So the link from iamcanada says with the Amanero Linux he was getting 512DSD and 768kHz.
Would that be the same with DI-24HE if the Amanero Linux is used?
Audio-gd state that Amanero Linux supports 512DSD and maximum 384kHz.
I really don't get how you deducted it from the Ian post.

A highlighted is true. Inside spoiler I covered why it happens.

May 23, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #510 of 558
Would a Fiber Optic HDMI cable work with the DI-24? If not- why not? It weither transfers the signal- or does not. WOrls for network cabke and usb- all in digital domain so should work here also.

Is not optical the lowest noise lowest distortion option?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back