Audio-gd Compass 2 amp/DAC Impressions thread
Dec 20, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #61 of 438
I've noticed on Audio-GD's website for the Compass 2 that it states both the Sabre ES9018 DAC as well as the Wolfson dual WM8741 DAC. Wasn't sure when purchasing the unit, it comes with both ES9018 and dual WM8741 DAC?
franmon83 indicates that the dual WM8741 is a separate purchase - question for franmon83 is how did you select between the two different DACs? Did you have to physically swap the ES9018 out and put in the dual WM8741? Or is there a switch within the unit that allows you to select the type of DAC you'd like to use? There doesn't appear to be a physical switch at the front/back of the unit that allows the user to easily select.

I'm interested in either the Compass 2 or NFB 11.32 because of the ES9018 DAC. Can't tell much of a difference between the Compass 2 and NFB 11.32, except for a larger power output on the headphone.

Dec 20, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #62 of 438
Quote:
I've noticed on Audio-GD's website for the Compass 2 that it states both the Sabre ES9018 DAC as well as the Wolfson dual WM8741 DAC. Wasn't sure when purchasing the unit, it comes with both ES9018 and dual WM8741 DAC?
franmon83 indicates that the dual WM8741 is a separate purchase - question for franmon83 is how did you select between the two different DACs? Did you have to physically swap the ES9018 out and put in the dual WM8741? Or is there a switch within the unit that allows you to select the type of DAC you'd like to use? There doesn't appear to be a physical switch at the front/back of the unit that allows the user to easily select.

I'm interested in either the Compass 2 or NFB 11.32 because of the ES9018 DAC. Can't tell much of a difference between the Compass 2 and NFB 11.32, except for a larger power output on the headphone.

Hi Steve,

The two DACs are separate purchases. The ES9018 comes by default with the unit, and I purchased the WM8741 afterwards and had to physically swap out the ES9018 module and insert the WM8741 instead. The whole process (what to remove, where to insert the new module and what jumper settings to select) is very easy to do and documented on audio-gd's website. (I just visited audio-gd's website and realized they greatly changed the Compass 2 page and removed a lot of customization options. I don't know why they did it and if they still offer the WM8741 option. It was 50$ extra when I ordered it and there were detailed instructions on the website explaining how to perform the modification. You would have to talk to Kingwa to have more details about this if you are interested in the modification).

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #63 of 438
So...I got this today and I can't get it to produce any sound at all, which is a bit of a bother for a sound amplifier.

The source is my Mac Mini, connected via USB. The Compass 2 shows up as Line 1 (USB) in both the Sound preference panel and the Audi MIDI Setup applet.
When I select it as my output device, internal speakers go quiet, so I guess the Compass 2 gets fed the signal, but when I plug my headphones into the Compass 2, it's total silence.
(and yes, the blue LED lights up above the power button)

The product came with a bunch of jumpers, a small cable and a chip in styrofoam. I assume that's to try the alternate set-up options.

The Compass 2 should be usable right out of the box right?

Is there something obvious I am doing wrong?

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #65 of 438
Quote:
FYI, I just ordered the Dual WM8741 module for the fun of comparing with the ES9018 and learning by myself what the differences sound like
dt880smile.png

Hi franmon83, would like to know if the dual WM8741 are worth purchasing to get a different sound flavor. I currently have the WM8805 feeding the WM8740 and like the sound coming out of the HA INFO DA1 DAC. I'm thinking the Compass 2 ability to swap out the DAC is unique and may tip me over to buying it compared to the NFB 11.32.

Steve

Jan 1, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #66 of 438
Anyone wanna swap my SA-31 for your Compass 2? I'll even thrown in the ODAC!

I must have it! :D

BTW:

3, Upgrade TCXO for USB chip and ES9018.
There are two TCXO can for upgrade, one is the 12MHz for the USB interface, another is 80MHz for the ES9018 .
Cost is USD20 / per without shipping delay .

4, Upgrade OCC wires.
Cost is USD30 , 3 workdays delay for replacement and retest . The upgrade include : Coaxial input wires, Line in connect wires, Line out wires, volume port connect wires, headphone output connect wires.

Can someone please explain these to me, and if it's even necessary?

Also another question, the default is the ES9018. Considering that using the ES9018 direct is very neutral, would it make more sense to have the WM8805 chip as the alternative method? It's warmer, and having the DIR9001 wouldn't as it's neutral, which is moot since the ES9018 direct method is already neutral, right?

So if I order it, I'd basically just order it fully on default, right?

Also, the ES9018 doesn't use digital filters like the Dual WM8741, right? I have no need for digital filters anyways, so if indeed it lacks that, I'm good with it.

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #67 of 438
Quote:
Also another question, the default is the ES9018. Considering that using the ES9018 direct is very neutral, would it make more sense to have the WM8805 chip as the alternative method? It's warmer, and having the DIR9001 wouldn't as it's neutral, which is moot since the ES9018 direct method is already neutral, right?

My understanding is that the stock unit has the WM8805 and you'll have to pay an extra USD$22.5 for the DIR9001 chip. Note that the DIR9001 only supports up to 96kHz, while the WM8805 can go higher up to 192kHz.

So if I order it, I'd basically just order it fully on default, right?

Yes.

Also, the ES9018 doesn't use digital filters like the Dual WM8741, right? I have no need for digital filters anyways, so if indeed it lacks that, I'm good with it.

Yes. To enable the digital filters means getting the dual WM8741 card. There are jumper settings to enable the various filters.

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #68 of 438
Actually, you can get the DIR9001 for no extra cash. You just ask them to have it installed at default. Its only extra if you order it alongside the default chip. Did the same thing with my NFB5.

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #69 of 438
Hi Mad Lust Envy,

I didn't know you can get the DIR9001 for no extra if you specify it upfront - thanks for the info. I like the warm sound of the WM8805 and the ability to go to 192kHz, so will be sticking with the standard chip. Looks like I'll be going for the Compass 2 with custom options 2 & 4. Audio-gd doesn't accept credit card payment so I'm trying to figure out how to get the funds across to their bank account in Hong Kong.

Steve

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #70 of 438
Quote:
Hi Mad Lust Envy,

I didn't know you can get the DIR9001 for no extra if you specify it upfront - thanks for the info. I like the warm sound of the WM8805 and the ability to go to 192kHz, so will be sticking with the standard chip. Looks like I'll be going for the Compass 2 with custom options 2 & 4. Audio-gd doesn't accept credit card payment so I'm trying to figure out how to get the funds across to their bank account in Hong Kong.

Steve

Why not Paypal? it very easy to create an account, and you have total control of how you transfer your funds in case something goes wrong with any seller.

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #71 of 438
Just placed an order for the Compass 2, with upgraded TXCOs and OCC wiring. DIR9001 (in case ES9018 direct doesn't play nice with my PC). I prefer having as close to neutral in case the direct feed doesn't work.

This will hopefully compete with the SA-31 when paired with the K702 Anniversary, which is absolutely amazing. I know the Compass 2 will make the HE400 sound great (just as the NFB5 and SA-31 did).

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #72 of 438
Quote:
Just placed an order for the Compass 2, with upgraded TXCOs and OCC wiring. DIR9001 (in case ES9018 direct doesn't play nice with my PC). I prefer having as close to neutral in case the direct feed doesn't work.
This will hopefully compete with the SA-31 when paired with the K702 Anniversary, which is absolutely amazing. I know the Compass 2 will make the HE400 sound great (just as the NFB5 and SA-31 did).

So Dir9001 will replace the default.....?

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #73 of 438
Yes, the DIR9001 will come installed, not the WM8805. You ask this as you send the first email to AGD. Would have bought the Earth op-amp but when I owned the NFB5, I couldn't tell the diff between the stock opamp and MOON, so I figured I'd save the money. That's only for the Line In anyways, which is gonna be for my Mixamp.

Jan 4, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #74 of 438
Quote:
Yes, the DIR9001 will come installed, not the WM8805. You ask this as you send the first email to AGD. Would have bought the Earth op-amp but when I owned the NFB5, I couldn't tell the diff between the stock opamp and MOON, so I figured I'd save the money. That's only for the Line In anyways, which is gonna be for my Mixamp.

The compas 2 is so tempting, one thing missing is the XLR output (Solely will be used with my amped Emotiva Speakers).
Do you think XLR would make that difference ? as to get the NFB-27 (+$1000 with shipping!!!)

Jan 4, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #75 of 438
I cant say, though if youre gonna spend double just for XLR... lol, I dunno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back