Audio-GD C-2 SA...New Amp....10-20-10
Apr 16, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #31 of 44

Quote:
I thought that description fit very well, which is why I think even tube-lovers would enjoy this amp-esp with the HE-6. I was pairing it with my Ref 9 while I had it too! I wish I still had my broken in k702s at the time because I felt like that would have made a very good pairing, esp for those who think the akgs are to harsh/bright. My .02

-Daniel

Quote:
Do Audio GDs description of the C-2 SA conform with your ears? "[size=x-small]Its sound a bit of softness, warm and relaxed, allows users to pleasantly listening for a long time. Its sound is on the musical side but the detail and dynamics are still reproduced.[/size]"

g5tar any noise issues with the LCD-2? How is that combo working for you? Was you able to compare it to the Gilmore Lite?

• i would agree on audio gds  description on the amp, though their translations often have a hard time getting the point across :) definitely a very musical amp-

• haven't noticed any noise issues with the c2-sa -> LCD-2 combo (too what "noise issue" are you refering?)

• the combo is working great, too be honest i have no complaints- the amp is a powerhouse, in love with the preamp :wink:

• sold off the gilmore lite last year

I'm very surprised this amp isn't getting more attention with this "orthodynamic craze"  going on- i think for the price point you really can't beat it, it's under 400$ - i've been tempted by the apex peak/volcano, but it's close to 2k- i think my money would be better spent upgrading the source, but the dac19-mk3 is pretty darn nice too- i think the combo ran me under 700$- audio gd really puts a nice product out in this price range.

greg

Apr 16, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #32 of 44
g5tar yes I think you are absolutely right about saving for source. LCD-2 scale more with sources then amps to me so far. I am vary about Audio GDs  descriptions because they suggested the Ref9 to be warm and a bit more forgiving. Not quite what I get coming from the DAC 19 DSP.

It´s a bit surprising it´s not more popular I mean it has the "discrete" tab that is quite important over here. Unless Audio GD has something new under the radar I will probably go for it. Hope it will be less tubey then the Lyr hybrid and have a blacker background. I do suspect going by the Ref9 prescription that it´s quite subtly coloured?

What I mean with noise is sound when you don´t put any music out of it.
Did you have the Gilmore lite at the same time?

Also wondering about the preamp. Can you use that at the same time as you listen to the headphones. That would be a big plus so I could hook up my Buttkicker LFE or even my sub to it.

Apr 16, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #33 of 44
I'm currently torn between this amp and the Lyr for my incoming LCD-2's. It being solid state is a plus in my book as I won't have to roll tubes for optimal performance and a maximum of 6 watts into 50 ohm (instead of  just 4 with the Lyr) aint too shabby either, however since it's considerably cheaper than the Lyr I wonder if it would perform in the same class as the Lyr.

Too bad the C2-SA isn't getting more attention (yet), as a direct comparison between it and the Lyr would be very helpful, but maybe there is someone out there who has heard both?

Apr 16, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #34 of 44
I got a friend who got the Lyr so I hope I will hear it some day. I am biased to my GHP for the LCD-2 thus I am more interested in this or other high powered solid state amps then the Lyr to figure out if the LCD-2 truly need more oomph.  Lyr is almost impossible for me anyway due to only having only one rca input. Would need to really dig it.

Apr 16, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #35 of 44

Quote:
What I mean with noise is sound when you don´t put any music out of it.

i should have gathered that :) there is definitely a very very small electrical sound- but nothing that bothers me...to be honest i just tested it out, haven't noticed it until now- now biggy though.

Did you have the Gilmore lite at the same time?

i sold off the gilmore lite last year- i got it to power some sr225s, but i hated the grados so much i sold it...definitely regretted that one.

Also wondering about the preamp. Can you use that at the same time as you listen to the headphones. That would be a big plus so I could hook up my Buttkicker LFE or even my sub to it.

nope, it's one or the other- do you use the buttkicker LFE when listening to headpones?

Apr 17, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #36 of 44
Use the LFE mostly for movies or games for such that benefit from LFE effects. Horror, action, science fiction. It can also be great for music as well when you want to feel the music a bit extra or have headphones that sound bright and thin compared  to real life/speakers. In general I turn down the effect for music to fully integrate it. See little point with it for the the DX 1000 or LCD-2 for music. It´s nice to get that tactile feel you can get from more full range  speakers without waking the neighbours :)

Had the gamer before and it was in some ways better for music. About the same way that a smaller sub that don´t play that deep but is "faster" can be more suitable for music. The bigger mass of the LFE mean there may be some "input lag" before it start moving I suspect or the amount of sub versus faster mid/upper bass fools me. I got a 90 kg cockpit thus I had to upgrade my shaker. 

How transparent is the pre out?

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #37 of 44

Quote:
Use the LFE mostly for movies or games for such that benefit from LFE effects. Horror, action, science fiction. It can also be great for music as well when you want to feel the music a bit extra or have headphones that sound bright and thin compared  to real life/speakers. In general I turn down the effect for music to fully integrate it. See little point with it for the the DX 1000 or LCD-2 for music. It´s nice to get that tactile feel you can get from more full range  speakers without waking the neighbours :)

Had the gamer before and it was in some ways better for music. About the same way that a smaller sub that don´t play that deep but is "faster" can be more suitable for music. The bigger mass of the LFE mean there may be some "input lag" before it start moving I suspect or the amount of sub versus faster mid/upper bass fools me. I got a 90 kg cockpit thus I had to upgrade my shaker. 

so there is a cockpit/chair thing that shakes when you play games? that sounds pretty darn amazing- (i don't know anything about gaming)

How transparent is the pre out?
i don't have a great speaker setup (audioengine a5) never used for critical listening- mostly just for entertainment purposes (movies, tv, filling room with music) also not that familiar with the a5 speaker, have only used it through the c2-sa, so i lack perspective comparing it to another pre-amp, speaker.

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #38 of 44
Apr 18, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #39 of 44
Mailed Audio GD and it´s sold out and discontinued sadly.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #40 of 44
Probably because no one seemed to buy the thing, unfortunately. I think the fact that it didn't run Class A, and was considered 'musical' as opposed to neutral, turned a lot of Head-fiers off. Here's hoping for a new Class A powerhouse for orthos from Kingwa!

-Daniel

Apr 19, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #42 of 44
I am probably going to pull the trigger on the C-2.1. My investigation seem to suggest you can take advantage of ACSS through in my case a DAC19 with all RCA outputs? Haven´t got a reply from Audio GD yet to confirm.

Jul 12, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #44 of 44
I just noticed this amp on AGD's site. Not sure how I could have missed it but does anyone have any more impressions? It looks like a perfect amp for me: musical, with lots of inputs and its free :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back