Audio Careers
Dec 21, 2008 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

mattcalf

1000+ Head-Fier
Being the forum we're in I was wondering if (surely) there are any 'professionals' among us.
In particular I'm asking about audio production and engineering, this is because I look at this as a very real and extremely interesting career path.

As I'm very young I'm wondering if people could inform discuss the options and good things to look into with regards to this profession.

Dec 21, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 36
I have been a full-time live sound engineer since 2003...the market is full of opportunity if you are near a large city. You may have heard this before, but I must say the music industry in general is very demanding. In the live field, your average show day is no less than 12 hours, usually closer to 15-20 depending on the size and run of the event. Pay can vary depending on the type of work: touring generally has the biggest potential for income, but one can certainly make a living in other areas such as sound companies / house gigs.

The recording world is a whole other beast...studios are still alive and kicking, but the advent of affordable home studios have certainly had their negative effect on the industry. Since I am not that active in this area, I wouldn't want to comment any further on this side.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions / advice that I might be able to help you with.

Dec 22, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by jclaytonsound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been a full-time live sound engineer since 2003...the market is full of opportunity if you are near a large city. You may have heard this before, but I must say the music industry in general is very demanding. In the live field, your average show day is no less than 12 hours, usually closer to 15-20 depending on the size and run of the event. Pay can vary depending on the type of work: touring generally has the biggest potential for income, but one can certainly make a living in other areas such as sound companies / house gigs.

The recording world is a whole other beast...studios are still alive and kicking, but the advent of affordable home studios have certainly had their negative effect on the industry. Since I am not that active in this area, I wouldn't want to comment any further on this side.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions / advice that I might be able to help you with.

Thanks for that reply.

What kind of subjects did you do at High School, did you find anything helped you?

Dec 22, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 36
If you're still in high school, I HIGHLY recommend spending a day or three as a shadow for someone who has the type of job you are considering. I can almost guarantee it will be worth the sick days from school
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

I can almost guarantee it will be worth the sick days from school

Haha thanks Omega.

Yeah I help out at school running our assemblies.
It may not sound much but we have a 48 channel Yamaha mixer, numerous amps, 48 switch lighting board, 20+ microphones, sometimes the school orchestra/band. I really enjoy doing that, but yeah I'll definitely try to get out into the real world.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #6 of 36
I'm a student in college right now as a sound design major, I'm either going into live sound, recording, foley, or movie post. I love it all so I'm still up in the air till I take more specialized classes and figure out just what I want to do. and also If you have any specific questions you can always pm me.

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcalf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for that reply.

What kind of subjects did you do at High School, did you find anything helped you?

Math and Physics give a good foundation to some of the concepts you will learn later.

I agree with Omega; try to get out into the real world and see what it's all about. You will either love it or hate it. A good way to start is to offer your help for free to anyone that might want it...sound companies, studios, whoever. You're definitely on the right track though helping out with the equipment your school has...

Oh, and books are your friend.
icon10.gif

Dec 24, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #9 of 36
I'm fine with maths, but physics is my nemisis.
frown.gif

My senior subjects go:
Maths B (Advanced), English, Chemistry, Biology, PE, Film and Television and Religion.

My school really doesn't have much to offer but it'll have to do.
I have an uncle in the TV/Film industry and he said he has a few sound/audio friends he could get me work experience down in Sydney with. That should be sweet.

Dec 24, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #10 of 36
Physics is really helpful, although first-year "for majors" physics probably most of all. Even if you're looking into a less technical area, it is well worth trying to muddle through it - even the non-majors low-math version - for the understanding of the processes involved and analytical habits you will develop.

Dec 25, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #11 of 36
I only finished High School and I was DJing at the time. I didn't go to college not because I didn't want to, it's because I already have the skills to do what I want to do right out of High School. I started out being a recording engineer recruited by my father. After that I got to know more about the equipment and the subject itself so I got promoted to be the studio engineer. I also became a producer as a result which I handled artist from Sony BMG (now Sony Music Entertainment) and Universal Music Group (which included Hollywood Records). I was 20 when this happened. Now 3-4 years down the road, Sony Pictures Entertainment wanted me to be a post-production audio engineer which I accepted but I still do part time being a DJ and a studio engineer. So basically you don't really need to go through classes of how equipment works internally, you just need to know what to do with them. Well, from my perspective anyways. It's a great career if you really love handling audio. Right now being a post-production it gets boring at times because you sit at a room only doing audio. However when at the studio, you get to meet artist, work with them, and freely do it at a leisurely time.

Dec 26, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #12 of 36
Wow, that sound's like an awesome way to do it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only finished High School and I was DJing at the time. I didn't go to college not because I didn't want to, it's because I already have the skills to do what I want to do right out of High School. I started out being a recording engineer recruited by my father. After that I got to know more about the equipment and the subject itself so I got promoted to be the studio engineer. I also became a producer as a result which I handled artist from Sony BMG (now Sony Music Entertainment) and Universal Music Group (which included Hollywood Records). I was 20 when this happened. Now 3-4 years down the road, Sony Pictures Entertainment wanted me to be a post-production audio engineer which I accepted but I still do part time being a DJ and a studio engineer. So basically you don't really need to go through classes of how equipment works internally, you just need to know what to do with them. Well, from my perspective anyways. It's a great career if you really love handling audio. Right now being a post-production it gets boring at times because you sit at a room only doing audio. However when at the studio, you get to meet artist, work with them, and freely do it at a leisurely time.

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #13 of 36
I'm a full time post production editor/mixer. I jump between Foley mixer, ADR mixer, sound designer, and re-recording mixer, usually all in the same week.

The industry has become very difficult in the last 5 years. The opportunities are out there but it's becoming increasingly hard to stay busy. Plus rates and budgets are on a slow decline. Not to say you can't make a good living, but be warned it's tough out there.

If I were just starting out, I would try to find an internship at a local studio that you feel you would like to work at. On top of that I would take all the technical courses you can handle. Not only in audio but you should also be open to music and video courses. To keep busy you kind of need to be a jack of all trades. From there you will gravitate to what interests you most. Then run with that and be the best you can be.

Hope that helps. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM.

Regards,

John

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #14 of 36
If you don't like physics this won't be a well-liked suggestion, but I think a background in EE is rather essential for a top-notch engineer/producer. Go for the analog stuff.

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #15 of 36
I am also very interested in this thread as I will be graduating in May with a BSEE. I suspect though that with a niche/luxury market such as high end audio equipment, the economy hasn't helped the employment opportunities for new graduates. Lets hope that I am wrong or it's off to grad school for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back