Audinst-HUD-MX2 DAC/Amp
Mar 3, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #17 of 306
Quote:

I think it should be very nice for the HD650 and other full sized cans, just based on the specs. They have completely redone the amp section using a TPA6120 which has potential to sound great when done right. I also like the addition of the optical input which makes it a more versatile unit.

The only thing that concerns me is the output impedance. It tends to be around 10 ohms for the TPA6120, which makes it not the greatest match for IEMs. The original was 5 ohms which is an important distinction. So we'll see. 

Thanks for the reply! 
smile.gif
 I think I'll wait for some reviews to come to out before finally pulling the trigger and buying one.

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #19 of 306
Looks very interesting. I'm on the hunt for a DAC to go with my soon to arrive Schiit Magni. Does anybody have any idea how this might compare with the Audioengine D1? That's another one I'm considering.

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #21 of 306
Quote:
Sorry, no experience with the D1.

I got the mx2 opened up today and am burning it in now. Looks pretty much the same as the original - which is very nice imo. Clean lines and logical layout. The volume knob does feel a whole lot more solid this time around. 

I asked about the D1 because it seems to use the same basic chip as the Schiit Modi, which I would purchase except for the fact that I need an optical input in order to override the internal DAC on my Squeezebox.
I'm looking forward to your impressions if the mx2, hopefully before the March 10th price increase on ebay
smily_headphones1.gif
 I think that it is between the mx2 and the Auduiengine D1 for me at this point, at least based on my current budget. The Schiit Bifrost would be awesome to have but that is definitely a stretch for me, at least right now. I figure I can start with the mx2 or D1 and upgrade if I have the $$ or feel something is lacking in the sound.

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #22 of 306
Very curious about the performance of this.  My mx-1 is currently in my secondary set up at work driving my DT1350s and I LOVE it.  I have no complaints about the original at all, except to say the low gain setting wasn't QUITE powerful enough to drive my DT880s (250 ohm).  I never bothered opening it up and changing the jumper setting.  

Mar 4, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #25 of 306
Mine arrived yesterday (I'm in Australia) but I haven't even plugged it in yet, I've opened it up and looked at it, aside from the volume knob, very similar to the MX1, also I won't be able to listen to it until Thursday because I'm very very busy until then.

Also, surprisingly, with the package, I got a brochure for the MX1 and the HUD-mini... haha

Mar 4, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #26 of 306
Hi Grev,

Saw you have mx1 and many portable gears in your inventory. Can you please share how MX1 compares with portable gears in term of sound quality only?

Now you have/had both MX2 and MX1, looking forward to hear how MX2 sounds compare with MX1!

Thanks

Mar 4, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #27 of 306
Quote:
Hi Grev,

Saw you have mx1 and many portable gears in your inventory. Can you please share how MX1 compares with portable gears in term of sound quality only?

Now you have/had both MX2 and MX1, looking forward to hear how MX2 sounds compare with MX1!

Thanks

No problem, but it will have to wait until Thursday. :wink:

Even though I have literally not touched ANY of my headphone gear for 5 months, I can still dig them out and try them, I have a feeling that the Hifiman HE400 is going to sound great with them.

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #28 of 306
Just got it. Immediate impressions are good, seems a detailed sound maybe a little bright, I won't say more on the sound until its burnt in (as it may well change). 

Now on the packaging I'm beyond impressed. Very nicely packaged box, includes the power adapter, USB connector, RCA connector, tool to open it, 4 rubber "feet" and the documents. It looks to be a well constructed unit, and functions works well.

Ill be back in a couple days regarding how it plays with the Edition 8s and FXZ200s!

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #29 of 306
Hi Project86, are you still burning in your MX2? Mind give me some first impressions or kind of a non-serious review? Better if you could add comparisons to other similar priced products.

I'm keen to order a MX2 but still want to get assurance (from your review) that this 200 bucks are well spent. 

Thanks,

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #30 of 306
Quote:
Just got it. Immediate impressions are good, seems a detailed sound maybe a little bright, I won't say more on the sound until its burnt in (as it may well change). 

Now on the packaging I'm beyond impressed. Very nicely packaged box, includes the power adapter, USB connector, RCA connector, tool to open it, 4 rubber "feet" and the documents. It looks to be a well constructed unit, and functions works well.

Ill be back in a couple days regarding how it plays with the Edition 8s and FXZ200s!

Thanks for the impressions! Noticed from an earlier post that you used to own the mx1; could you possibly comment on how the two amp/dacs compare?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back