Audinst HUD-MX1, a good way to go on?
Feb 9, 2011 at 6:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Roller

Headphoneus Supremus
After some careful deliberation, I found that the vaccine for my wallet wasn't strong enough, and now I see it suffering. Perhaps the best thing was to give it a mild shock treatment, in the shape of a little upgrade
rolleyes.gif
Then later on it will recover in due time
biggrin.gif

Right now I'm listening to a pair of Allen & Heath XD-53 through a NI Audio 2 DJ and a PA2V2. But I have a feeling that these cans can perform better, if I fed them more juice. So I was looking at Audinst HUD-MX1, looks quite interesting. I also took a look at the upcoming Fiio E11, which also looks nice.

So my doubts are how different does the HUD-MX1 sounds compared to the Audio 2 DJ, how different might Fiio E11 be from PA2V2 (based from specs, since I think no one has yet had a pre-production E11 on their hands), and if it would be a good enough upgrade to go from Audio 2 DJ + PA2V2 to a HUD-MX1. And would it be a good idea to put the PA2V2 between the HUD-MX1 and my XD-53? I've read that an amp could be used to add some coloration to the HUD-MX1.

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 7
The MX1 is a respectable amp/DAC for its price, but if you're intending to run a separate amp through a DAC, you'd be better off getting a standalone DAC unit like the Music Streamer II.

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 7
I did read about the Music Streamer II (non plus version), and it did look nice.

I only talked about running an amp through the DAC because I've read that the MX1 has a slightly cold signature, while I'm a more warmer kind of guy. Is the sound really colder on the MX1? I would be glad to use only the MX1 if it didn't have a cold signature, and might even be a dealbreaker if the sound is indeed like that.

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 7
Small difference between the MX1 and MSII, the later being a little drier sounding. I've owned both, and I'd pick the MX1 every time. I thought the MSII was nothing special, MX1 just offers more for the price. The differences between a few DACs I have tried are very tiny, I'd have to be in a focus mode to detect something even that is slightly difference and at the same time, I only think I hear a difference. I personally can't tell much difference between any sub $500 DAC so I just got anything decent which is miles better than my onboard sound card. $500 amp paired with a $120 DAC gave me better results than a $300 DAC and a $300 amp.

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 7
The thing is that I already have a so so DAC, a NI Audio 2 DJ, it's just that I felt that PA2V2 sometimes might be lacking. And that's why I also thought about the Fiio E11, since my DAC is not so bad.

Some DAC info and specs here:
http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/dj/audio-2-dj/overview/hardware-details/
http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/dj/audio-2-dj/specifications/

Should I consider getting the MX1 or is my DAC good enough to only warrant upgrading from a PA2V2 to a E11?

Feb 9, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 7
So, how good a DAC is MX1 compared to mine? If there is lack of experience with my DAC, at least based on each one's specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back