Audi TT vs BMW 330i
Mar 17, 2010 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, I've been looking for used cars and torn between these two. I always loved Audi TT styling both exterior n interior and small factor. But doing my research, its reliability is quite terrifying. As BMW 330i, I like the exterior, but its interior is blaaaahh, boring, but it's the 'ultimate driving machine'. While both are money pit, it seems 330i fares better than TT. So what do you think guys?

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 50
I would personally go for the BMW. It would me more versatile than the TT I think. The TT would be strictly a sports car when the BMW could be used for several different applications. Plus I am not sure but I would guess the BMW gets better gas mileage.

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 50
The new Audi TT, and seventeen other VW Group cars all share VW Group A platform in its current revision.

So saying things like the Audi TT is a re-badged/warmed-over Golf etc. is technically true but completely missing the point.

Get the 330i, being a sedan it should serve you much better than a small two-seater designed for fun rather than practicality.

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 50
I bought a '98 M3 and never looked back.
wink.gif

IMO the E36 body styles are FAR better looking than anything that BMW has produced since. They handle better too- just ask the autocross crowd.

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #6 of 50
IMO the TT is primarily styling exercise and sports car second.

The 330i is a sports car first and style second. Ed. The fact it is also a 4 seater is just a bonus.

If it were me I would go for the 330 just for the engine. For smoothness and power this straight 6 cylinder is already a motoring legend.

If you are more style conscious go for the TT.

have you considered the BMW Z4?

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While both are money pit, it seems 330i fares better than TT. So what do you think guys?

IME, it's insane to drive most German cars NOT under warranty. I would recommend finding a good lease deal or special. That's what I did when I drove the TT in past.

Having said that, the BMW is a better "driving machine;" however, I much prefer the TT as a car, especially the coupe. BTW. Audi's turbo engines are VERY easy to tweak up in performance by dropping in a good performance computer chip for reasonable money.

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #8 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new Audi TT, and seventeen other VW Group cars all share VW Group A platform in its current revision.

So saying things like the Audi TT is a re-badged/warmed-over Golf etc. is technically true but completely missing the point.

Get the 330i, being a sedan it should serve you much better than a small two-seater designed for fun rather than practicality.

Same engine, almost identical in many ways other than the exterior.

Mar 17, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #10 of 50
dashboard and doors in TT are very high, it is very hard look around for short person like me. I like BMW 330's suspension better than TT/GTI, sporty and comfortble at same time. TT have more road noise. I had 2001 Audi A6, the electrical in those sucks a**, too many things want to go worng.

Why not used Boxser or Cayman?

Mar 17, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #11 of 50
Depends on what year and what specific model you are looking at. Personally, I would go with e46 330Ci (coupe version) if budget is limited or even M3. If not, 335i Coupe, but that's just me. If you really want to go with Audi, I would rather go with A4/5 than TT.

Mar 17, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #12 of 50
Are you getting a stick?

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #14 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not used Boxser or Cayman?

The labor n parts of porsche will kill me
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you getting a stick?

For TT - yes, because it's hard to get an auto. For 330i - I prefer to get auto.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which TT?

Mk-1, Coupe, Quattro, 220hp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back