Audeze SINE Series
Nov 22, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #2,866 of 4,785
Good to hear. How would I go about doing that? I'm home for Thanksgiving this week so I don't have the original packaging with me at the moment.

I would say, email support@audeze.com and include your serial number and pictures of the damage and let them know of the problem. They will tell you what to do next.

Here are excerpts from Sine's user manual:

The Audeze product comprising the SINE headphone (an “Audeze Product”)
is under warranty as indicated by the original date of purchase (the “Warranty
Period”).
Components (applicable to each Audeze Product)
SINE Planar Drivers ............................................. 3 years
Earpads/Headband ............................................. 1 year
Cable(s) ..................................................................1 year

To be eligible for service under this warranty you must
include with the repair item(s) a valid bill of sale from an authorized Audeze retailer
detailing the following information:
Retailer’s name
Original date and proof of purchase
Model or SKU number of the product purchased
Serial Number

A) If you reside in the United States and purchased direct from
Audeze.com email Support@audeze.com.
B) If you reside in the United States and purchased from an authorized
Audeze dealer contact your dealer or Support@audeze.com.
C) If you are an international customer who has purchased through your
local dealer contact your local dealer or distributor for warranty service.

Nov 22, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #2,867 of 4,785
New Sine owner sold on these by all the hype and many many good reviews. Sale at Adorama forced my hand. First impressions after 2 long days of listening, using Fiio X3ii and tons of FLAC files, mostly progressive rock and metal:

Fit - I have a big head and small ears. The clamping force is strong but not bad. The ear pads are a little tight/uncomfortable but I can take it for several hours, with breaks. Don't think I need to though - I ordered the Brainwaz pads. I don't quite get why these need to be on the ear instead of over the ear. I don't understand how that makes them more portable. I guess they fit a little better in bags.

Overall sound = Great. Hits the sweet spot of well balanced and immediate, in your face goodness. Smooth. Could use a bigger soundstage. Reminds me of my IEMs that way. What's the benefit of having headphones over IEMs if you don't get a soundstage enlargement?

I'm hearing the shrillness in the highest treble area I've read about. Some songs are much worse than others. The new Alterbridge CD is horrible for this, the cymbals kill me. So I'm equing 16Hz down by 4 points, similar to Tyll's review. Significant improvement from doing this. I raised the 500Hz and 1KHz by 1 point each also for vocals. Can't say as much if this helps.

vs. ATH-M50X - Much different. The ATH are more comfortable, have a more spacious/wider/reverb-like sound, and hit much harder on the low end, albeit with a bit of mud thrown in. The Sines have much better overall sound and balance, the quality in all areas is better. Tighter bass, more transparency & separation, much better and more prominent mids, and more clear treble. The ATH have a hollow feeling where the mids should be. Worth the upgrade here.

vs. SE535 - A lot more similar than the ATH's. In fact, I'd call the SE535 somewhat similar in sound to the Sine. Both have a sweet sound great for rocking out. The Sine have more overall impact with bass and mids, and treble is better. So I think the Sine is a solid upgrade, for less money. Yeaaa, I didn't waste my money on the Sines.
- After extended comparisons, I now feel strongly that my SE535 are veiled vs. the Sine. The clarity and energy, especially in the high frequencies, is so much better with the Sine. The Sine also seem to be more transparent and carry more separation. So my Sine are now my go-to sound solution, except for exercise. The Sine aren't so much incredibly better than the SE535s that I'm gonna try wearing them around the weight room or on my bike.
- Regarding isolation - I use Westone super long (orange) foam tips on my SE535. Those suckers go deep! So yeah, isolation is definitely better with them than the Sines. I tried walking outside with my Sines yesterday and could hear the dogs barking, weed wackers wacking, etc...louder than I usually do with my SE535s. Went from a vague annoyance to a full interruption to my listening. Inside, the Sines do an excellent job of blocking out most office noise. So I'm much happier with them than say, for example, my SR80 open phones, which let every single noise in and have to be turned up loud, etc...Such a struggle to try to use open phones in the real world, too bad.

vs. ER4S - Strange comparison, but I own them so why not. The Etys seem to easily beat the Sine's in clarity/transparency/separation. So amazing how they do that. The Sine kick the Eyt's butt of course in impact, mids, lows, etc...Back in the day, I couldn't really "rock out" anymore with my Etys after getting my Shures, and I feel the same way after hearing the Sines. When I use the P version of my Etys, it doesn't change my opinion. Afterthought: Are the Sines actually just as clear as the Etys, but you can't tell because of all the mids and lows the Sines are giving you?

vs. SR80 - Another strange comparison, these are open cans of course. And have more weight on the treble. Very different. Super different. The most interesting thing here was that I detected a "veil" over the sound with the SR80 when comparing to the Sines. In the past, I thought the SR80 were very clear and trebly and sparkly, but maybe the Sine's are actually more clear.

with Brainwaz angled earpads - Very easy to take off stock pads. A little harder to put on Brainwaz. Have to stretch the pad as you work your way around the perimeter of the headphone. Not too hard to figure out. Definitely a proper fit and wouldn't want them looser. Instant improvement in comfort. It's night and day different. I'm sure I can wear my Sines all day now. I agree they do seem relatively slightly loose now. So I pulled the headband a little tighter and I think that compensates for it. For kicks, I tried on my ATH's and discovered those stock pads aren't that great either, even though before I thought they were very good. The Brainwaz are that much better. Pillows for your ears. A no-brainer solution!

Sound changes with Brainwaz? This is super tough because: 1.) Any differences don't seem huge. That's my first impression. 2.) There's no way I'm going to go back and forth with changing out the pads to compare the sound. It's not terribly hard, and I might get faster at it. But based on the first switch out it's not something I want to do again if I don't have to.

It does seem like the soundstage has widened. There might be more of a hollow, bigger, less immediate sound. I asked for it - I got it. And I'm pretty sure the SPL is lower now. I just turned up my X3 volume by a few points to get the same perceived equivalent level of sound as the stock pads. Did isolation go down slightly since not quite as tight on my head? If it did, it's not by much.

I won't try to say if the bass and mids have changed. If they did, it's not by much. I can still here the sparkly treble for sure. Overall, I think the comfort is well worth these pads and there might be a greater soundstage. Any cons (if there are any) are negligible to me upon my first day of using them.

My X3ii drives them fine at hi gain and around 40-50 on the volume. I tried my old ibasso D1 amp and it didn't change the sound, so no need for that brick. Thank goodness.

Overall, a great upgrade and my highest end set of cans yet. I'm keeping them!

11/23 edits: Further comparison to SE535 and added comments about isolation. Also got the Brainwaz earpads and added review of my first impression with them.

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #2,868 of 4,785
  Anyone have a solution to fix sine comfort? I heard people mentioned vesperaudio custom earpad? Is it gonna help? (If so which one, there are 4 of them in VA website) I truely enjoy my Sine + Mojo but with its design, doesnt really fit my ear. (It hurt over time)

I almost sold my Sine due to comfort, after changing pads to non-authentic MSR7 pads, I fall in love again with Sine. They are very comfortable now and it turned Sine into over ear headphones even though a they have tight opening ( I have big ears).

Nov 25, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #2,869 of 4,785
does it need adapters

No adapter needed. I just fit it on and lightly adjusted in a couple of places to even out the lip as it's not the same shape. Different headphone!
It went from a $500 headphone that sounded like $800 to one that breaks the $1000 mark imho. (New prices of course).

Can we see pics please.

I think you can contact them: http://vesperaudio.com/contact

They are custom-made order AFAIK. Good luck :)

Does anyone know how much?

I decided to give these another try after news of over ear pads availability.
This is the single most important factor for users turning away from Sine, IMHO.

Nov 25, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #2,870 of 4,785

Anyone have a solution to fix sine comfort? I heard people mentioned vesperaudio custom earpad? Is it gonna help? (If so which one, there are 4 of them in VA website) I truely enjoy my Sine + Mojo but with its design, doesnt really fit my ear. (It hurt over time)

I almost sold my Sine due to comfort, after changing pads to non-authentic MSR7 pads, I fall in love again with Sine. They are very comfortable now and it turned Sine into over ear headphones even though a they have tight opening ( I have big ears).

Can we get a pic of your non-authentic MSR7 pads?
:)

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #2,871 of 4,785

Just a word of advice, I'm sure Maxx134 is happy with his pads, but consider the material you're getting with the non-authentic pads. There are lots of pads out there that have similar shape and fit the audio-technical m-series cups, but the real MSR7 pads are appreciably nicer than the others.

$9 for non-authentic vs. $30 for authentic.

Nov 25, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #2,872 of 4,785
  New Sine owner sold on these by all the hype and many many good reviews. Sale at Adorama forced my hand. First impressions after 2 long days of listening, using Fiio X3ii and tons of FLAC files, mostly progressive rock and metal:

Fit - I have a big head and small ears. The clamping force is strong but not bad. The ear pads are a little tight/uncomfortable but I can take it for several hours, with breaks. Don't think I need to though - I ordered the Brainwaz pads. I don't quite get why these need to be on the ear instead of over the ear. I don't understand how that makes them more portable. I guess they fit a little better in bags.

Overall sound = Great. Hits the sweet spot of well balanced and immediate, in your face goodness. Smooth. Could use a bigger soundstage. Reminds me of my IEMs that way. What's the benefit of having headphones over IEMs if you don't get a soundstage enlargement?

I'm hearing the shrillness in the highest treble area I've read about. Some songs are much worse than others. The new Alterbridge CD is horrible for this, the cymbals kill me. So I'm equing 16Hz down by 4 points, similar to Tyll's review. Significant improvement from doing this. I raised the 500Hz and 1KHz by 1 point each also for vocals. Can't say as much if this helps.

vs. ATH-M50X - Much different. The ATH are more comfortable, have a more spacious/wider/reverb-like sound, and hit much harder on the low end, albeit with a bit of mud thrown in. The Sines have much better overall sound and balance, the quality in all areas is better. Tighter bass, more transparency & separation, much better and more prominent mids, and more clear treble. The ATH have a hollow feeling where the mids should be. Worth the upgrade here.

vs. SE535 - A lot more similar than the ATH's. In fact, I'd call the SE535 somewhat similar in sound to the Sine. Both have a sweet sound great for rocking out. The Sine have more overall impact with bass and mids, and treble is better. So I think the Sine is a solid upgrade, for less money. Yeaaa, I didn't waste my money on the Sines.
- After extended comparisons, I now feel strongly that my SE535 are veiled vs. the Sine. The clarity and energy, especially in the high frequencies, is so much better with the Sine. The Sine also seem to be more transparent and carry more separation. So my Sine are now my go-to sound solution, except for exercise. The Sine aren't so much incredibly better than the SE535s that I'm gonna try wearing them around the weight room or on my bike.
- Regarding isolation - I use Westone super long (orange) foam tips on my SE535. Those suckers go deep! So yeah, isolation is definitely better with them than the Sines. I tried walking outside with my Sines yesterday and could hear the dogs barking, weed wackers wacking, etc...louder than I usually do with my SE535s. Went from a vague annoyance to a full interruption to my listening. Inside, the Sines do an excellent job of blocking out most office noise. So I'm much happier with them than say, for example, my SR80 open phones, which let every single noise in and have to be turned up loud, etc...Such a struggle to try to use open phones in the real world, too bad.

vs. ER4S - Strange comparison, but I own them so why not. The Etys seem to easily beat the Sine's in clarity/transparency/separation. So amazing how they do that. The Sine kick the Eyt's butt of course in impact, mids, lows, etc...Back in the day, I couldn't really "rock out" anymore with my Etys after getting my Shures, and I feel the same way after hearing the Sines. When I use the P version of my Etys, it doesn't change my opinion. Afterthought: Are the Sines actually just as clear as the Etys, but you can't tell because of all the mids and lows the Sines are giving you?

vs. SR80 - Another strange comparison, these are open cans of course. And have more weight on the treble. Very different. Super different. The most interesting thing here was that I detected a "veil" over the sound with the SR80 when comparing to the Sines. In the past, I thought the SR80 were very clear and trebly and sparkly, but maybe the Sine's are actually more clear.

with Brainwaz angled earpads - Very easy to take off stock pads. A little harder to put on Brainwaz. Have to stretch the pad as you work your way around the perimeter of the headphone. Not too hard to figure out. Definitely a proper fit and wouldn't want them looser. Instant improvement in comfort. It's night and day different. I'm sure I can wear my Sines all day now. I agree they do seem relatively slightly loose now. So I pulled the headband a little tighter and I think that compensates for it. For kicks, I tried on my ATH's and discovered those stock pads aren't that great either, even though before I thought they were very good. The Brainwaz are that much better. Pillows for your ears. A no-brainer solution!

Sound changes with Brainwaz? This is super tough because: 1.) Any differences don't seem huge. That's my first impression. 2.) There's no way I'm going to go back and forth with changing out the pads to compare the sound. It's not terribly hard, and I might get faster at it. But based on the first switch out it's not something I want to do again if I don't have to.

It does seem like the soundstage has widened. There might be more of a hollow, bigger, less immediate sound. I asked for it - I got it. And I'm pretty sure the SPL is lower now. I just turned up my X3 volume by a few points to get the same perceived equivalent level of sound as the stock pads. Did isolation go down slightly since not quite as tight on my head? If it did, it's not by much.

I won't try to say if the bass and mids have changed. If they did, it's not by much. I can still here the sparkly treble for sure. Overall, I think the comfort is well worth these pads and there might be a greater soundstage. Any cons (if there are any) are negligible to me upon my first day of using them.

My X3ii drives them fine at hi gain and around 40-50 on the volume. I tried my old ibasso D1 amp and it didn't change the sound, so no need for that brick. Thank goodness.

Overall, a great upgrade and my highest end set of cans yet. I'm keeping them!

11/23 edits: Further comparison to SE535 and added comments about isolation. Also got the Brainwaz earpads and added review of my first impression with the

good notes, thanks...would love to see if anyone has compared these to the new sony mdr 1000x (yes i know they're closed)...
can't wait to also compare these against my sony mdr 7520 closed studio cans this coming wkend

Nov 26, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #2,873 of 4,785
The battery life with the Cipher seems very good.  I just opened this last night and connected them to my iPad mini 4 over night at 50% volume to break it end a bit.  I woke up and the iPad battery is only down a few percentage I think 5% in 8 hours.  I don't know how that is possible I was expecting to to drain the battery within 6 hours or so completely.  

Nov 26, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #2,875 of 4,785
Limitation ro 24/48  may be not the Apple"s fault...
Have you tried high res audio player on the iPhone such as ONKYO , and check what"s on when playing 24/192 files...
I think 24/192 is sent through the lightning output then... but you may need a real DAC to benefit from this High resolution.

CIPHER is merely an expensive microphone for using SINE to phone.
SINE audio quality deserves to connect it to DAC-AMPS such as MOJO or OPPO HA2.

This could be due to the power capability of the lightning connector. Separate DACs have their own power supply,but lightning powered headphones only have the phone's power as limited by the lightning spec. Higher sampling rates demand more power. Not much, but some.

Also the data rate of the lightning connector is probably high enough for 192kHz, but I don't have the numbers to hand. It needs> 9.2Mb/s

Nov 26, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #2,876 of 4,785
Well I've been on a hiatus from head-fi for a while now, having been chasing the dragon with my 2-channel speaker setup.  I finally got it to a point now that I find very enjoyable, so it was time to get back into head-fi.

I sold off most of my headphone stuff to fund my 2-channel upgrades (LCD-2, Schiit Lyr, etc.).  I recently had the chance to hear the Sines at a local dealer and listened to them from my iPhone 6S Plus via the Cipher cable.  This was after listening to headphones like the Focal Elear through the Questyle 600i.  I was thoroughly impressed by the sound I was hearing.  It definitely made me miss my LCD-2s quite a bit.  Went home and ordered a pair from Amazon so that I can demo them under the extended holiday return policy.

After a few days of listening, I'm about 80% convinced that I will end up keeping them.  Here is my list of pros and cons, based on my listening through the Cipher cable as well as through my Audioquest Dragonfly v1.2:

Pros:
  1. Excellent midrange. Instrumental textures are engaging and intoxicating at times.
  2. Good drive and punch, especially via the Cipher cable.
  3. Decently deep bass, with great bass texture.  Similar to the LCD-2
  4. Good level of excitement, and emotional connection to the music
  5. Convenience with the Cipher cable out of the iPhone is very nice, and eliminates the need for another bulky DAC/Amp unit
  6. There is a nice "sparkle" to the sound.
  7. Detail retrieval very impressive for a headphone this size.

Cons:
  1. Bit of a treble peak that can highlight sibilance in many recordings.  Have not tried experimenting with EQ.
  2. Comfort is decent if you know how to place them on the ears, but comfort will never be a strong point of these (with the stock pads at least). Sometimes I have trouble keeping parts of my ear from hitting the bars/grate that protect the inside of the headphones.  This becomes very uncomfortable.
  3. Similar to the LCD-2s, the sound is somewhat "inside the head," but this is to be expected.  
  4. Clamping force is a tad strong, but I am expecting this to improve over time.
  5. There is a bit of grain detectable in the treble with both the Cipher and Audioquest Dragonfly (see note below)

I also had a chance to hear the Sine through the Questyle 600i, and they scaled incredibly well here.  The 600i provided "more of everything," with the sound being even more punchy, but even smoother with more refined highs.  The grain that I heard with the Cipher cable and Dragonfly was almost completely eliminated.

Overall, for the price, I'd say Audeze did a very good job here.  I actually compared the Sine to the EL-8 when I was in the local shop, and I preferred them greatly over the EL-8.  In fact, the EL-8 did not impress me at all.  I knew better than the pick up the LCD-2s or even 3s, because that would have just started another tailspin into the audiophile rabbit hole.  I will say though, that I'm now also craving a pair of the Focal Elear.  But that's another story.

Nov 27, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #2,877 of 4,785
This could be due to the power capability of the lightning connector. Separate DACs have their own power supply,but lightning powered headphones only have the phone's power as limited by the lightning spec. Higher sampling rates demand more power. Not much, but some.

Also the data rate of the lightning connector is probably high enough for 192kHz, but I don't have the numbers to hand. It needs> 9.2Mb/s

I am not really buying the power argument as a reason to limit the capability - that should be up to the user and device they want to use.

Bandwidth is not a limitation - external DACs connect to iOS devices over Apple's own Lightning-to-USB adapter and some support even 384kHz. This shows that the Lightning port itself is not the bottleneck.

I still think these are really all unnecessary software limitations, due to a lack of Apple caring about this capability for high quality audio.

Nov 27, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #2,878 of 4,785

Just a word of advice, I'm sure Maxx134 is happy with his pads, but consider the material you're getting with the non-authentic pads. There are lots of pads out there that have similar shape and fit the audio-technical m-series cups, but the real MSR7 pads are appreciably nicer than the others.

$9 for non-authentic vs. $30 for authentic.

Hey buddy you may have misunderstood.
I don't have any of these pads yet.
I am trying to see and get comments on best one.
I am trying to gther info on what pads fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back