Audeze SINE Series
Apr 27, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #901 of 4,788
If there is more bass than the PM3 it has too much bass then as the PM3 borders on too bassy.

Imo the pm3 borders on being bass light. Not much punch and slam with those. If you like that approach to bass you probably won't like the Audeze approach to bass.

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #902 of 4,788
Imo the pm3 borders on being bass light. Not much punch and slam with those. If you like that approach to bass you probably won't like the Audeze approach to bass.

I have heard the LCD 2 and 3, I have owned the TH 900, D7000 and I own a TH 600 so I'm no stranger to basss. I owned the PM3 driven balanced and certainly found the bass quite capable and as I said IMO it bordered on too much with bass heavy music. We may just have different, but equally valid perspectives on the PM3.

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #903 of 4,788
Bass is never that strong on neutral headphones anyway. The vast majority of tracks just don't have as much bass as nightclub managers would have us believe. When a track comes along that is MEANT to be bassy on the SINES I've actually been quite surprised by the sudden thud.

With them being planar magnetic you ought to be able to EQ anyway without distortion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very good point and thank you for bringing that up.

Do you know of a good portable player with built-in amp that pairs nicely with the Sines?

Apr 28, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #904 of 4,788
Just received my Audeze SINE headphones today.  When I first tried them I couldn't believe how flat and dull they sounded.  I was ready to send them back.  I thought perhaps they just sounded bad compared to my main system.

So, I just kept listening and the Sines just kept getting better and better.  It was like watching a flower bloom.   I am getting to love them the more I listen.  The detail, texture of mids, the presence of highs, and the clarity and force of the lows makes for a nice balanced presentation.  I am using the Cipher cable from an iPhone 6 using the Cipher EQ App.  These babies really need some break-in time to sound their best.  I was surprised how much they changed over the first couple of hours of listening.

One area that needs some adjustment: the clamping force is bending my left ear into discomfort.  I need to find a way to allieviate this, as it will get to be more of a problem over time.  Can one bend the headband without breaking it?  Any suggestions here would be appreciated.

These are keepers!

Apr 28, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #905 of 4,788
Just received my Audeze SINE headphones today.  When I first tried them I couldn't believe how flat and dull they sounded.  I was ready to send them back.  I thought perhaps they just sounded bad compared to my main system.

So, I just kept listening and the Sines just kept getting better and better.  It was like watching a flower bloom.   I am getting to love them the more I listen.  The detail, texture of mids, the presence of highs, and the clarity and force of the lows makes for a nice balanced presentation.  I am using the Cipher cable from an iPhone 6 using the Cipher EQ App.  These babies really need some break-in time to sound their best.  I was surprised how much they changed over the first couple of hours of listening.

One area that needs some adjustment: the clamping force is bending my left ear into discomfort.  I need to find a way to allieviate this, as it will get to be more of a problem over time.  Can one bend the headband without breaking it?  Any suggestions here would be appreciated.

These are keepers!

From Tyll's review @ InnerFidelity;

"Initially, the SINE caliper pressure on my ears was a bit too much. The good news is that if you grab the headband at either end—not the ear cups or extender arms—you can stretch out the internal spring steel part fairly readily. Do it carefully in a few steps as it's harder to squish it tighter than stretch it out."

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a demo of how in the video review.

Apr 28, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #906 of 4,788
Im always intrigued when the topic of a headphone's (or speaker) bass comes up. This is something that is always good to flesh out a bit, because in my opinion there are two main camps - those who truly appreciate bass, and those who just get off on low end noise. My idea of bass is clean, impactful, and tight. The minute it starts getting bloated, floppy, or boomy, I listen to something else. That is not MY definition of bass, but for many it is. So when someone says their headphones need more bass,  I always find it useful to get a feel for how they define it. 

To me, the latter is just noise, not music...but we all have our own preferences. 

Apr 28, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #907 of 4,788
  Im always intrigued when the topic of a headphone's (or speaker) bass comes up. This is something that is always good to flesh out a bit, because in my opinion there are two main camps - those who truly appreciate bass, and those who just get off on low end noise. My idea of bass is clean, impactful, and tight. The minute it starts getting bloated, floppy, or boomy, I listen to something else. That is not MY definition of bass, but for many it is. So when someone says their headphones need more bass,  I always find it useful to get a feel for how they define it. 

To me, the latter is just noise, not music...but we all have our own preferences. 

You are right, i can't stand bloated bass

Apr 28, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #908 of 4,788

Well if your low end is without any distortion, it isn't noise because you shouldn't hear it. It doesn't mean you don't feel it it tho, Most of headphones will give you distortion in place of a sub but some are capable of going very low and let you feel it. I suspect the earlobe to be part of this perception, 

Apr 28, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #909 of 4,788

Well, it also depends where you're listening. I find headphones with sufficient bass at home to be bass light on the go - because the lows are the first to disappear in elevated background noise. So for me, a pair of portable headphones, ie. meant for on the go, should have elevated bass as opposed to headphones that are clearly meant to stay at home where it's nice and quiet.

Admittedly though, I am a bit of a bass head. Which to me means I truly appreciate getting off on low end noise... :wink:

Apr 28, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #910 of 4,788
Bass is never that strong on neutral headphones anyway. The vast majority of tracks just don't have as much bass as nightclub managers would have us believe. When a track comes along that is MEANT to be bassy on the SINES I've actually been quite surprised by the sudden thud.

With them being planar magnetic you ought to be able to EQ anyway without distortion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very good point and thank you for bringing that up.

Do you know of a good portable player with built-in amp that pairs nicely with the Sines?

I'm afraid I only have experience with the Fiio X5ii. It does have an internal amp and the SINES do sound great coming out of them. But with replay gain on (which lowers overall volume to avoid clipping) you have to turn on high gain and up the volume to between 115 and 120 (120 is max). In other words it can drive them to a perfectly decent volume (and then a little bit more where you're just bordering on damaging your hearing if you listen to it for too long) but there's little headroom. It's near maxed so if you add in some EQ into the equation (which also lowers overall volume to avoid clipping), then you may find it lacks some oomph. If you're unwilling to get a separate amp, though (I'm a little reluctant to add bulk and weight myself) then it'll do perfectly fine.

Apr 28, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #911 of 4,788

These are keepers!

I found the same, the sound was also very thin at first. Burn in made quite the difference, and thankfully it's the quickest burn in I've ever come across.

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #913 of 4,788
Anyone know where I can demo these in London? I'm here for a month and it'd be nice to have some portable on-ears.

These websites stock the SINES and have showrooms and demo facilities in London:

http://homeavdirect.co.uk/audeze-sine-on-ear-headphones-with-standard-audio-cable?gclid=Cj0KEQjw6Ya5BRDdyOewyo_Z_64BEiQA-fVKe1FM4JfniXBKIO5u-29lz9Who--QKOIe5ZzFWWcXkyUaAkyX8P8HAQ

https://www.kmraudio.com/audeze-sine-on-ear-magnetic-planar-headphones.php?infinity=ict2~net~gaw~ar~68530846622~kw~~mt~~cmp~Audeze%20CW~ag~All%20Products%20CW&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6Ya5BRDdyOewyo_Z_64BEiQA-fVKexrx70lGNo2QhYN4BrUPh5Jd16Vep0IT0vCtkFIuzBAaApZB8P8HAQ

http://www.harrowaudiohifi.co.uk/audeze-sine

Whether the SINES are in fact on site at these stores or instead with a distributor I don't know. You'll have to call them first.

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #914 of 4,788
I hope to demo the Sine, in a few weeks. I want to compare the Sine to the Oppo PM-3 and the Meze 99 Classics. My hypothesis is the Sine will sound better, but to what degree, that is the question.

Apr 28, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #915 of 4,788
I hope to demo the Sine, in a few weeks. I want to compare the Sine to the Oppo PM-3 and the Meze 99 Classics. My hypothesis is the Sine will sound better, but to what degree, that is the question.

I either have owned or own them all...they all sound different. Which you prefer is what sound signature you are looking for. Personal preference and factoring in all aspects of a hp I would rank them in this order:

1) SINES
2) Meze
3) PM-3

The Meze have a fun sound that make music fun. I did not care for the earpads(shallow) and the headband contraption is no conducive to portable use outside the home. They are easily driven by any source.

The PM-3 were just boring to me, not bad , just kinda boring in their sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back