Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Nov 3, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #721 of 7,191
I've always used this type of virtual surround, and never use any in game headphone modes, since they tend to be nowhere near on the level. Only few games like Overwatch and CS GO have any actual virtual surround modes worth using.

You gotta remember that these effectively turn the audio into a 7.1 setup downmixed into something headphones can use. In game surround options tend to just be expanded stereo. Yes, in game audio options tend to be garbage.

Very good to know, ok thanks a ton, Im going to test out Waves NX or Redscape Audio with BFV tonight.
Always thought there was something wrong with my ears, as I could hardly hear any directional audio when using my K7XX and Schitt Magni/Modi 2 stack when gaming.
Are there any changes needed to be made in Windows sound option? I know windows has a built in 7.1 option.
Thanks again.

Nov 3, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #722 of 7,191
Hi, I've just pre-ordered the Penrose X just curious what the likely shipping date is going to be if anybody knows?. I've been reading as many comments as I can on here and I noticed the date has changed and why and I totally understand that and it might be late. I am asking mainly because of the console releasing next week I am more than happy to wait.

Nov 3, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #723 of 7,191
Hi, I've just pre-ordered the Penrose X just curious what the likely shipping date is going to be if anybody knows?. I've been reading as many comments as I can on here and I noticed the date has changed and why and I totally understand that and it might be late. I am asking mainly because of the console releasing next week I am more than happy to wait.

end of November for the U.K. I’m afraid.
Edit: my apologies- Penrose ‘X’ is the beginning of December.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #726 of 7,191

At this point, your guess is as good as any. Personally, I recommend just assuming they won't be there before you get your Xbox and if they do arrive before then, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Nov 3, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #727 of 7,191
Do you think using this type of virtual surround software would benefit any game for PC, or do you typically just rely on the games built in 3D audio option?

I personally have never found built in game 3D audio to be that good at pin pointing directional audio, maybe Im doing something wrong tho..

If all you want is virtual surround sound, you can get that on PC already. There is Windows Sonic, which is free and built into the OS. There are also paid Dolby and DTS apps that you can get on the Window app store. The apps have built-in profiles for some of the more popular headphone models.

IMO, the more interesting part of what Sony is claiming with the PS5 is a more complex audio rendering engine, presumably with hardware acceleration. We used to have that on PC in the old days with things like Aureal A3D, but Microsoft killed it off when they redesigned the audio stack in Windows in a way that prevented hardware-accelerated audio rendering.

Nov 3, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #728 of 7,191
At this point, your guess is as good as any. Personally, I recommend just assuming they won't be there before you get your Xbox and if they do arrive before then, you will be pleasantly surprised.
Yea I figured as much I just wish we had the Frequency response graph it helps me when making custom EQs, I am looking forward to customizing an EQ profile to my liking when this comes out. Do you know if they have released it yet for the penrose/X?

Nov 3, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #729 of 7,191
Yea I figured as much I just wish we had the Frequency response graph it helps me when making custom EQs, I am looking forward to customizing an EQ profile to my liking when this comes out. Do you know if they have released it yet for the penrose/X?

I don't recall seeing one, but my memory has not improved with age so take it with a grain of salt.

Nov 3, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #730 of 7,191
Very good to know, ok thanks a ton, Im going to test out Waves NX or Redscape Audio with BFV tonight.
Always thought there was something wrong with my ears, as I could hardly hear any directional audio when using my K7XX and Schitt Magni/Modi 2 stack when gaming.
Are there any changes needed to be made in Windows sound option? I know windows has a built in 7.1 option.
Thanks again.
With Waves NX, you have to change the sound device to NX headphones. And in the NX software, make sure the output device (like your dac or whatever your headphones are actually plugged into) is the device the NX is set to. After some testing, I do find the Multimedia preset to be the best.

I don't have Redscape audio just yet.

Also, make sure BFV and any game you play is NOT set to headphone sound modes. Remember, you're trying to use the game's home theater option for the software to mix into virtual surround.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #731 of 7,191
If all you want is virtual surround sound, you can get that on PC already. There is Windows Sonic, which is free and built into the OS. There are also paid Dolby and DTS apps that you can get on the Window app store. The apps have built-in profiles for some of the more popular headphone models.

IMO, the more interesting part of what Sony is claiming with the PS5 is a more complex audio rendering engine, presumably with hardware acceleration. We used to have that on PC in the old days with things like Aureal A3D, but Microsoft killed it off when they redesigned the audio stack in Windows in a way that prevented hardware-accelerated audio rendering.
I find Waves NX better than Sonic, Atmos, and DTS X. And its only $10. Well worth the investment.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #732 of 7,191
Does the Penrose have multipoint bluetooth support? I understand that we can use both 2.4ghz wireless and bluetooth at the same time, but can we connect two or more bluetooth devices instead? If yes, can we connect 2.4ghz wireless along with multipoint bluetooth?

Nov 4, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #733 of 7,191
Also, make sure BFV and any game you play is NOT set to headphone sound modes. Remember, you're trying to use the game's home theater option for the software to mix into virtual surround.

Just to pick up on this - is this true for all instances wearing headphones for gaming, or specifically the application using software like Waves NX or where VSS is offered?

I'm a console gamer, so I won't have access to all these nuances, but definitely good to know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back