Audeze Penrose X and Penrose
Oct 16, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #526 of 7,191
We are open to exploring such options based on feedback, we still have to work within the limitation of what the hardware and firmware offer.
While I am happy with the current quality, it would be quite cool to be able to balance de quality of the headphones and microphone to our liking. In some situations, the mic quality would be a higher priority over sound quality.

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #529 of 7,191
Realllly dumb question but: I see 3D audio has been removed on the Penrose. That does not mean the Penrose does not have great directional audio, does it? I assume the directional audio is handled by the game and operating system, rather than in the Audeze software/accelerometers.

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #530 of 7,191
Realllly dumb question but: I see 3D audio has been removed on the Penrose. That does not mean the Penrose does not have great directional audio, does it? I assume the directional audio is handled by the game and operating system, rather than in the Audeze software/accelerometers.
Yes that is correct. Unlike Mobius, Penrose does not have in built virtualization/3D. We have kept it simple and let the game engine or OS or other software handle virtualization.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #531 of 7,191
YEs that is correct. Unlike Mobius, Penrose does not have in built virtualization/3D. We have kept it simple and let the game engine or OS or other software handle virtualization.

Great, thank you for your quick answer!

Also, I know it has been mentioned before, but I REALLY hope you eventually sell additional USB receivers. It will be somewhat annoying to need to move the receiver from my PS5, to gaming PC, to media/living room PC. Just giving my 2 cents.

Thanks again, can't wait for my delivery!

Oct 16, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #532 of 7,191
Also, I know it has been mentioned before, but I REALLY hope you eventually sell additional USB receivers. It will be somewhat annoying to need to move the receiver from my PS5, to gaming PC, to media/living room PC. Just giving my 2 cents.

I got this response from customer service when asking a similar question.

"Unfortunately, it's not possible to use one headset with both consoles. We are not sure if we can sell the dongles separately because of licensing / security chipset requirements. Our suggestion, for now, is to purchase the Penrose version you plan to use most."

Oct 17, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #535 of 7,191
I'm a bit confused about why there are two versions for this.
The Xbox version contains a security chip that is required to make it work with that console and the PlayStation one does not?
Does that prevent the Xbox version working with the PS5? I thought it just used standard USB Audio Class 1 devices.

It seems that using Toslink like other headsets would be much easier, since you could just connect it to the TV for audio instead of having to move a dongle between devices.

Colors are always polarizing. Our designer Jan spent quite a bit of time going over these options. One of the main considerations in the design phase was the need to make sure people understand two different SKUs easily.
Surely that could be done with the packaging (green/blue boxes) and maybe the dongle itself?
I know that it's a "gaming" headset, but I'd be more willing to spend that kind of money on wireless headphones which don't look like toys.
It's the same thing with the branded headband and the printed-on texture on the earcups.

This is an older example, since screens have now taken over the front of phones, but here's a Galaxy S7 compared to an iPhone 7 (same year).

iph7-lpj9o.png
gs7-wpk0j.png

iPhone: you know what this is, and why you want it. The only logo is on the back, and it's black-on-black.
Galaxy S7: I need you to know that this is a SAMSUNG phone! Silver-on-black, even on the front of the device. Zero confidence in the product/brand selling itself.

The Mobius/Penrose fall into the latter category. Instead of selling people a premium product, you go LOUD.
For years I avoided Bose QuietComforts for travel because their colorways looked like something out of a '90s catalog. As soon as they released the triple-black special edition with updated materials I bought a pair and had no regrets, because it finally looked and felt like a premium product.

qc25-o9j10.jpg
71q6zyc8o3l._ac_sx466q5k6n.jpg

And now all of their new products are following this trend.
I'm disappointed that my QC25s died though, as the QC35-II does not look quite as premium as the triple-black did, due to a change in the plastics.

If you want colors, modern trends are to go all-out with muted colors/pastels, rather than black with neon accents.
Examples of modern blue/green headphones:

uhttps3a2f2fwww.bhphoifk8x.jpg
uhttps3a2f2fwww.techhnhj32.png

Any texture is from the materials used, not painted-on.
That is obviously more expensive than accented headphone pads, but an equivalent to the Bose "triple black" where you ditch all the colored accents and painted on textures/logos seems like it would be feasible.

Something that I couldn't quite tell either is that it looks like the plastics might be using a soft-touch finish on the Audeze headsets?
I hope that's not the case because soft-touch plastic ages horribly.

Oct 17, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #536 of 7,191
The Xbox version contains a security chip that is required to make it work with that console and the PlayStation one does not?
Does that prevent the Xbox version working with the PS5? I thought it just used standard USB Audio Class 1 devices.

It seems that using Toslink like other headsets would be much easier, since you could just connect it to the TV for audio instead of having to move a dongle between devices.

Surely that could be done with the packaging (green/blue boxes) and maybe the dongle itself?
I know that it's a "gaming" headset, but I'd be more willing to spend that kind of money on wireless headphones which don't look like toys.
It's the same thing with the branded headband and the printed-on texture on the earcups.

This is an older example, since screens have now taken over the front of phones, but here's a Galaxy S7 compared to an iPhone 7 (same year).

iph7-lpj9o.png
gs7-wpk0j.png

iPhone: you know what this is, and why you want it. The only logo is on the back, and it's black-on-black.
Galaxy S7: I need you to know that this is a SAMSUNG phone! Silver-on-black, even on the front of the device. Zero confidence in the product/brand selling itself.

The Mobius/Penrose fall into the latter category. Instead of selling people a premium product, you go LOUD.
For years I avoided Bose QuietComforts for travel because their colorways looked like something out of a '90s catalog. As soon as they released the triple-black special edition with updated materials I bought a pair and had no regrets, because it finally looked and felt like a premium product.

qc25-o9j10.jpg
71q6zyc8o3l._ac_sx466q5k6n.jpg

And now all of their new products are following this trend.
I'm disappointed that my QC25s died though, as the QC35-II does not look quite as premium as the triple-black did, due to a change in the plastics.

If you want colors, modern trends are to go all-out with muted colors/pastels, rather than black with neon accents.
Examples of modern blue/green headphones:

uhttps3a2f2fwww.bhphoifk8x.jpg
uhttps3a2f2fwww.techhnhj32.png

Any texture is from the materials used, not painted-on.
That is obviously more expensive than accented headphone pads, but an equivalent to the Bose "triple black" where you ditch all the colored accents and painted on textures/logos seems like it would be feasible.

Something that I couldn't quite tell either is that it looks like the plastics might be using a soft-touch finish on the Audeze headsets?
I hope that's not the case because soft-touch plastic ages horribly.

It's almost funny how they explain designs are polarizing, you quote it and then proceed to say "I know that it's a "gaming" headset, but I'd be more willing to spend that kind of money on wireless headphones which don't look like toys." and explain why your view on design is better. Boy I do love the internet sometimes.

Oct 17, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #538 of 7,191
It's almost funny how they explain designs are polarizing, you quote it and then proceed to say "I know that it's a "gaming" headset, but I'd be more willing to spend that kind of money on wireless headphones which don't look like toys." and explain why your view on design is better. Boy I do love the internet sometimes.
I mean, that's how it works right? Broke didn't imply that Audeze saying of "designs are polarizing" was wrong or anything and gave some criticism because it was polarizing. And sorry if I'm reading it wrong (I'm assuming you're criticisng Broke), but just saying "oh my thing is going to offend" doesn't absolve your thing from being criticised for offending. Just like how Audeze saying designs are polarizing doesn't mean their designs can't be criticised (which I know it's a stretch to imply Audeze thought that).

Design is polarising, sure.. but in this case it feels like the overwhelming majority of the market for a $250+ headset would prefer a more muted design?
Most definitely. I honestly hope Audeze considers these criticisms.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #539 of 7,191
I mean, that's how it works right? Broke didn't imply that Audeze saying of "designs are polarizing" was wrong or anything and gave some criticism because it was polarizing. And sorry if I'm reading it wrong (I'm assuming you're criticisng Broke), but just saying "oh my thing is going to offend" doesn't absolve your thing from being criticised for offending. Just like how Audeze saying designs are polarizing doesn't mean their designs can't be criticised (which I know it's a stretch to imply Audeze thought that).

Most definitely. I honestly hope Audeze considers these criticisms.

Criticism when worded in polite words like yours is a pleasure to read and is genuinely informing. By all means, if there's enough demand for an all black version make it. But when people who have opinions need to make them heard by calling the current design "looks like a toy", well, reminds me of politics.

I don't usually participate in internet forums, and I assume a lot of people like me don't either. But obviously we have money to spend, so I don't think a few people yelling on a forum is any metric of "overwhelming majority of the market". In this case I've been keeping tabs on this forum so that I can know whether I'll be getting my headset before December. And I read how Jan, their designer spend time on these designs. My girlfriend's also in a similar profession, so I can relate on some level. And then I see a lot of people are angry that these are not designed to their taste. So I'm just trying to balance it out you know. I want Jan to know that there are people who like her design too. And generally, I think people can be much more polite and less condescending and angry in how they express their opinions.

Oct 17, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #540 of 7,191

Neither next-gen console has the toslink port anymore, that's why it's no longer an option. Contrary to what the customer service agent said in my previous post, I actually do expect the Penrose X to work on PlayStation platforms; however, I do not think the PlayStation version will work on Xbox platforms. It looks like Audeze is using the same setup as SteelSeries is for the next-gen compatible headsets. Both companies' Xbox version has a toggle on the dongle to switch between Xbox and non-proprietary platforms; the PlayStation versions for both companies has no such toggle. For those that want to check it out, I'm referring to the SteelSeries Arctis 7X and 7P, and it can be seen with detailed setup instructions on the product instruction guides.

Or, maybe I'm just being hopeful that I won't need separate headsets for each platform. While multi-dongle support would be the most convenient, physically swapping the dongle is definitely better than needing 2 headsets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back