Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Jun 5, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #3,496 of 4,467
Nice! I am definitely interested in trying out a pads that is suppose to be softer, hopefully provide better seal for glass wearers.

Dekoni most likely will have their own replacement pads as well (and may well be lighter than the WC pads), does anyone have any news?

I'm interested to see what Dekoni does too. I think ultimately the WC pads probably aren't for me. In terms of sound I adjusted pretty quickly to the small changes and it's not an issue, but the pads being thicker makes it one step forward, two steps back in terms of overall comfort for me. Yes, they seem to stay cooler for longer, but now the Maxwells feel overall more awkward on my head.

Jun 5, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #3,498 of 4,467
I'm interested to see what Dekoni does too. I think ultimately the WC pads probably aren't for me. In terms of sound I adjusted pretty quickly to the small changes and it's not an issue, but the pads being thicker makes it one step forward, two steps back in terms of overall comfort for me. Yes, they seem to stay cooler for longer, but now the Maxwells feel overall more awkward on my head.
Thanks for the info it seems to match other feedback. Right now I don't even use the leather headband on the Maxwell at all and they fit perfect with stock pads, don't think I want to have them feel tighter. Cancelled my order for now.

Jun 5, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #3,499 of 4,467
On the positive side the WC pads definitely stay cooler for longer, which was impacting how long I could wear the Maxwell. Also, the greater depth definitely is appreciated by my larger than average ears! As to negatives, the WC pads make the sound a bit brighter/spicier, but I am trying to fix it with EQ. What may be the biggest issue is that the clamping force is now much higher. Also I am at the max setting on the headband. If you have a larger head, there are definitely comfort compromises to consider…

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #3,502 of 4,467
Arent the MM-100 earpads real leather? They look like they’ll fit the Maxwell.
Not animal leather (as far as I know at this time), and as they use pressure sensitive adhesive like our standard LCD pads, they are not compatible with Maxwell. Maxwell's twist locking surface would not let MM-100 pads sit evenly.

Before people ask (why didn't you just use Maxwell pad design), you need to be aware tuning a fully analog headphone is far different from tuning a headphone with internal dsp. Pads make a considerable contribution to the tuning of a headphone, as you have all been made aware by alternative pads not being 1:1 to the default pads. Choices are made for the betterment of sound quality.

This should also hammer home that the Maxwell and MM-100 are NOT the same thing/drivers. Not even close. They share a similar main housing body, and that's it.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #3,503 of 4,467
Decided to turn side tone on again today because I really want to use it even with the static, and it doesn't do anything. No more static but no more function at all either. Oy.

Jun 6, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #3,504 of 4,467
Decided to turn side tone on again today because I really want to use it even with the static, and it doesn't do anything. No more static but no more function at all either. Oy.
I definitely have the static with sidetone on after the latest firmware. My side tone still works however.

Maybe try re-installing the firmware? Not sure if that's even an option.

Is Audeze aware of the sidetone static issue?

Jun 6, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #3,506 of 4,467
If you use the beta version of the software, the known issue is that Sidetone toggle doesn't do anything unless activated from the headset
I haven't installed the Beta software yet. Where do I get that.

Jun 6, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #3,507 of 4,467
Just got my wicked cushions. In terms of comfort, they are 100% a step up, both in heat management and padding/fit. I don't really notice extra weight, and I still use the same length for the head strap. In terms of sound, there is definitely a difference, but it's very subjective, in some ways it seems better, in some ways it's worse. I notice almost like a 'hiss' of ambient noise that makes sounds less 'clean', bass seems less punctuated. But on the other hand, I seemed to perceive positional audio in game a bit better. This all might be my imagination, and I'm no audiophile.
Most of the pleather pads that I've ever owned end up peeling because of how sweaty my ears get, so if nothing else, this are a great summer alternative to them. I'm happy with the purchase.

Jun 6, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #3,508 of 4,467
Just got my wicked cushions. In terms of comfort, they are 100% a step up, both in heat management and padding/fit. I don't really notice extra weight, and I still use the same length for the head strap. In terms of sound, there is definitely a difference, but it's very subjective, in some ways it seems better, in some ways it's worse. I notice almost like a 'hiss' of ambient noise that makes sounds less 'clean', bass seems less punctuated. But on the other hand, I seemed to perceive positional audio in game a bit better. This all might be my imagination, and I'm no audiophile.
Most of the pleather pads that I've ever owned end up peeling because of how sweaty my ears get, so if nothing else, this are a great summer alternative to them. I'm happy with the purchase.
Mine are coming in next week

Users who are viewing this thread

Back