Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Feb 24, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #1,638 of 4,467
3d audio with head tracking
Appreciated. As I am interested in primarily Bluetooth music listening and some MS Teams, Zoom or phone calls, good to know I'm not missing anything key for my use case if I go with Maxwell rather than Mobius.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #1,639 of 4,467
head tracking is nothing but a gimmicky feature. it will never help in gaming because when one is gaming, one is looking front at the screen. the headtracking audio works when one turn his head to the left or the right. I dont see it helping in any way. In movies, you are also looking straight to your tv or monitor, turning your head does no impact to your movie being played.

really see no use of head tracking. not sure whether it helps in VR which not many ppl are into.

For music and gaming on console tv or pc, head tracking is a useless tech.

I tried it before with the hyperx Orbit S which is a rebranded mobius. i play fps games. it does nothing to help.

Feb 24, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #1,640 of 4,467
head tracking is nothing but a gimmicky feature. it will never help in gaming because when one is gaming, one is looking front at the screen. the headtracking audio works when one turn his head to the left or the right. I dont see it helping in any way. In movies, you are also looking straight to your tv or monitor, turning your head does no impact to your movie being played.

really see no use of head tracking. not sure whether it helps in VR which not many ppl are into.

For music and gaming on console tv or pc, head tracking is a useless tech.

I tried it before with the hyperx Orbit S which is a rebranded mobius. i play fps games. it does nothing to help.
Personally I dont agree with that. Head movement depends a lot on screen size, the bigger you go will will do more movement. Also Mobius had it's own virtualization of space making it sound very spacious. With head tracking even tiniest of movements helped brain to perceived sound que placement.
I loved them with Battelfield V, sound was incredibly immersive!
I will truly miss that feature with Maxwell, but I use my TV plugged to PC for playing games and it's on the opposite side of the room with couch in the middle. I didn't wanted to use 5m cable :D

Feb 24, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #1,641 of 4,467
3d audio with head tracking
Correct. I have very high hopes for this new version. If what I think Audeze is planning on doing then this should be the king of Spatial audio headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #1,642 of 4,467
How do I edit the custom EQ profiles 1-4? I don't see a graphic EQ in the Audeze HQ app on Windows.

Feb 24, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #1,643 of 4,467
How do I edit the custom EQ profiles 1-4? I don't see a graphic EQ in the Audeze HQ app on Windows.
A couple of pages back @Audeze posted an update to a few things, including

'For the Audeze HQ app, both the Windows and Mac versions are now available for download on our site, but do not yet support custom EQs. But that will be coming soon – it’s next on our list.' :)

Feb 24, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #1,644 of 4,467
Hello, I have read that some Maxwell users get warm ears after a while of use.
I am from Spain and right now it is winter and it is cold. However, in summer with high ambient temperatures, Penrose warms my ears.

I am very interested in this aspect because I find it very uncomfortable that the pads heat up my ears. How does all this happen?
Does Maxwell also warm the ears in winter with low ambient temperatures?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #1,646 of 4,467
Hello, I have read that some Maxwell users get warm ears after a while of use.
I am from Spain and right now it is winter and it is cold. However, in summer with high ambient temperatures, Penrose warms my ears.

I am very interested in this aspect because I find it very uncomfortable that the pads heat up my ears. How does all this happen?
Does Maxwell also warm the ears in winter with low ambient temperatures?

Thanks.

This is gonna be the case with most closed-back headphones using pleather earpads, because there's really not much air moving around to let out the heat. Your best bet would be to change out the earpads for 3rd party earpads made with more breathable materials when they're available, though of course this will change the sound signature.

Feb 24, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #1,647 of 4,467
@Audeze with the above discussion in mind, have you any plans to bring out your own ear pads for Maxwell?

I recall back then the Penrose was dropping, there was a lot of good sentiment for the Mobius gel pads, which I believe were both comfortable and ran a little cooler, so would you be looking at anything like that from in-house?

Feb 24, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #1,648 of 4,467
I love the Mobius gel pads so I hope they do that for Maxwell as well.

On another note, there are some reports on the Audeze subreddit about the Maxwell mic sounding bad in Discord. Some of it is probably the user mixing Discord's noise cancelling / echo suppression with Maxwell's, which is a bad idea, but even in some cases where the user allegedly disabled all of Discord's noise suppression, it still sounded not as great as the demos on youtube indicate.

Maybe deserves its own thread, but I'd like if those with Maxwells in hand can comment on what settings, both on Discord and Maxwell side, are best for good mic output

Feb 24, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #1,650 of 4,467
Did anyone check out Techne's review of the Maxwell?

Overall a decent review and he seems to be swooning over them but I found it super interesting how dismissive he was about the "technical" sound, how he despises the EQ band and that it's all "marketing, corporate" mumbo jumbo. I get that he's not technically inclined and I actually agree with the general sentiment that customers should make a decision on how headphones sound to them vs. getting obsessed with technicalities. And even though I'm not that technically inclined myself I know that the EQ graphs etc. exist for a reason. There's a science behind tuning every headphone and it's what makes them sound unique from each other. In fact, it's what's helped me learn how music is recorded and reproduced and where the different "sound profiles" sit on an EQ band based on their frequencies (bass, mids, treble). I'm all for user-focused reviews - it's definitely an important perspective but there was no need to be so condescending about people who prefer to make decisions on the technical aspects imo. Makes reviews more well-rounded.

If anything his review did help reassure my purchase decision but it was kinda spicy. @GadgetryTech I wonder what you made of that since your reviews are often really well balanced (mix of user side focusing on feature set etc. and technical breakdown). Not trying to instigate but just getting your take on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back