• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Apr 2, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #796 of 7,693
I've tested Opus @ 256k with 5.1/7.1 material and it sounds great. I imagine one could go even lower. A native wireless protocol for the codec (which is now a standard) would be a good way to go for saving bandwidth.
wikipedia said:
Opus stream can support up to 255 audio channels[...]
Opus has very short latency (26.5 ms by default)
Interesting... and it's an open format as well.

If mobius is a smash hit and there is staggering demand, I can see Audeze getting licensing and being able to incorporate consoles in the future. It seems like the most universal approach would involve the addition of a break or box that could decode 7.1 to waves NX. Then bluetooth (if wireless was the goal and worked without hiccup) would have double duty of sending pre-virtualized surround sound to stereo to the headset and head tracking data back to the breakout box (which would need to get virtualizion processing duties.)

This solution could be an optional add n as it would diminish the capabilities of the headset not to also have the NX software built right into the headset as well as processing being switchable to the break out box.

I have no idea whether the current headset could be upgradable via firmware to be used like this.
I also thought of the solution of offloading the 3D spatialization to a separate box, and then sending the stereo signal wirelessly to the headset. However, because the headset has to send the head tracking telemetry to the encoder first before the audio can be sent back, I suspect the latency this introduces makes it unusable. This is based on an earlier post stating that very low latency between the head tracking and spatialized audio is required for proper effect.

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #797 of 7,693
Interesting... and it's an open format as well.

I also thought of the solution of offloading the 3D spatialization to a separate box, and then sending the stereo signal wirelessly to the headset. However, because the headset has to send the head tracking telemetry to the encoder first before the audio can be sent back, I suspect the latency this introduces makes it unusable. This is based on an earlier post stating that very low latency between the head tracking and spatialized audio is required for proper effect.

Hmmmm...... If latency indeed would be a problem, the X-box One is now supporting WiSA, which is gunning to become the new standard in HQ wireless surround. If PlayStation get's on board as well, down the road that may become a universal alternative to Bluetooth for surround.

I get that this is AUdeze's first foray into surround headphones, but WiSA looks really interesting.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #798 of 7,693
Hoping Tyll at InnerFidelity gets to review one of these soon...

Apr 3, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #800 of 7,693
Mobius is just another example of why Apple should buy Audeze :). By far the most innovative company in audio. I want planar magnetic AirPods...

Although, I don’t really think Audeze needs Apple to continue innovativing.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #801 of 7,693
I think Apple buying Audeze would actually be bad for Audeze. Apple makes mainstream products that maximize convenience over anything else, really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 3, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #802 of 7,693
Mobius is just another example of why Apple should buy Audeze.

Bite thy tongue, infidel! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apple buying Audeze would be almost as horrific as Bose, Monster, or Beats buying them.

Apple... *spit*

iFashion iDevices for iSheeple. Ickypoo.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #803 of 7,693
I think Apple buying Audeze would actually be bad for Audeze.

Agreed it would be bad for Audeze.

Before Apple bought Beats they started to sound better. Then Apple came and sorted out the technical stuff. I will not buy them because they don't sound the way I want, but the solo 2 and solo 3 are almost good value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 3, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #804 of 7,693
I think Apple buying Audeze would actually be bad for Audeze.

After seeing what Audeze can do on their own, I’d have to agree. Audeze is one of the only third-party headphone manufacturers that (some) Apple Stores carry so it seems that Apple has their eyes on them. But it would probably be a bad idea for the brand long-term.

Apr 3, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #805 of 7,693
Hmmmm...... If latency indeed would be a problem, the X-box One is now supporting WiSA, which is gunning to become the new standard in HQ wireless surround. If PlayStation get's on board as well, down the road that may become a universal alternative to Bluetooth for surround.

I get that this is AUdeze's first foray into surround headphones, but WiSA looks really interesting.

Unlikely that playstation will get on board, it is made by Sony and they have their own wireless tech that I'm sure they'd much rather push.

Apr 3, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #806 of 7,693
I think Audeze are the 1st 3rd party to work with LDAC (Sony's bluetooth codec) for headphones, so there may be some option there if Sony ever look at doing multi-channel bluetooth or adding bluetooth audio to the Playstation consoles?

Apr 4, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #807 of 7,693
Mobius is just another example of why Apple should buy Audeze :).
Dear god, anything but that.

The sheep don't need to ruin another great company. Just, no.

Apr 4, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #809 of 7,693
If Apple took over at Audeze we would loose all the real innovation and awesome products. We would get this instead...

dt100923.gif

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #810 of 7,693
Apple bought beats for 2 core reasons.

1st, and this was the biggest reason: music streaming. Apple music is literally just Beats streaming service "painted yellow."

2nd was the scale of their product. Being able to sell headphones at Apple scale was a significant bonus.

I don't see Audeze filling any apple business needs. Especially since they doubled their audio team and are taking and Apple approach to Personal Audio going forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back