Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Feb 17, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #5,341 of 5,780
Mobius has a non-custom EQ presets for that, but if you look for a custom preset, then it's for the penrose, not sure if this forum covers that.
I did try the footsteps preset and I was also advised to try out the RPG one as it was closer, but I wouldn't really say they are that good (well, maybe not at all) for footsteps in Warzone. Everyone who's playing the game knows how broken sound is. Anyway, it was a worth a shot checking out if any of you folks already had a custom EQ preset done with EQ APO or w/e other tool is now popular :).

I hope Audeze add the custom EQ to the Mobius too. I feel like it should have been done already :).

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #5,342 of 5,780
... I hope Audeze add the custom EQ to the Mobius too. I feel like it should have been done already :).
Custom EQ has been requested from Mobius’ start.

There hadn’t been firmware/feature updates for a significant amount time.

I guess AUDEZE considers Mobius as fully developed and finished, although there are some quirks like the identical EQ curves in “Flat” and “Default”, that only differ in level.

Lost EQ slot that could have been used for the missing brighter preset.

A brighter preset would spread the variance of available EQ curves and counteract the fact that Firmware 5 turned Mobius into a darker headphone in general.

Might even help a bit with your “footstep problem”.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #5,344 of 5,780
Custom EQ has been requested from Mobius’ start.

There hadn’t been firmware/feature updates for a significant amount time.

I guess AUDEZE considers Mobius as fully developed and finished, although there are some quirks like the identical EQ curves in “Flat” and “Default”, that only differ in level.

Lost EQ slot that could have been used for the missing brighter preset.

A brighter preset would spread the variance of available EQ curves and counteract the fact that Firmware 5 turned Mobius into a darker headphone in general.

Might even help a bit with your “footstep problem”.
So can I downgrade the headset's firmware? Any suggestions how do I make them better at what I specifically bought them for - which is hearing better the surrounds, determining and pinpointing where a player is. I feel like that's a lot of money I spent for a product that does not provide as much as I hoped for and it was also advertised to me :). But maybe it's just me and everyone's happy with their Mobius. Although there is close no to information online for any Warzone footsteps tips for the headset, meanwhile the Arctis Pro or A40 have a top of presets available (obviously a dedicated software too).

Feb 18, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #5,345 of 5,780
So can I downgrade the headset's firmware? Any suggestions how do I make them better at what I specifically bought them for - which is hearing better the surrounds, determining and pinpointing where a player is. I feel like that's a lot of money I spent for a product that does not provide as much as I hoped for and it was also advertised to me :). But maybe it's just me and everyone's happy with their Mobius. Although there is close no to information online for any Warzone footsteps tips for the headset, meanwhile the Arctis Pro or A40 have a top of presets available (obviously a dedicated software too).
I would not suggest to downgrade from Firmware 5 to a lower version - if that is possible at all.

Firmware 5 fixes and improves several things:
e,g.:

• Automatic centering of 3-D image works better since FW5

• Channel frequency response imbalance caused by different acoustic properties of left and right cup (amp and connectors in left, battery in right cup) is fixed for the music related EQ presets Default, Flat, Music and Warm.
For a reason that I do not understand, the gaming EQ presets Ballistics, Racing, RPG and Footsteps stay Fr.-res. unbalanced.

This change made the Mobius darker headphones.
That’s why I keep asking for a brighter EQ preset (change Flat for brighter, Default has the same Fr.-response anyway), e.g. for classical and acoustic jazz music that is recorded more natural, not that bright.

• Somewhere during the course of updates (FW3?) the “Warm”-preset was added, that gives a fuller sound if needed for shrill recordings or by taste.

• FW5 is mandatory for the current version of AUDEZE HQ app.

• Battery level is displayed correct now in AUDEZE HQ app.

• There are more that I just don’t remember yet.
A version-log can be downloaded at AUDEZE.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #5,346 of 5,780
Any suggestions how do I make them better at what I specifically bought them for - which is hearing better the surrounds, determining and pinpointing where a player is.
I am not a gamer, and I don’t know nothing about you setup, so my advice is absolutely generic:

• Use the AUDEZE HQ app to enter your head dimensions exactly like described in the manual and pictured in the app.

• Reduce the Room Ambience parameter from 35 to 20.

• Use Mobius USB wired.

• Set Mobius to “3-D Auto”, “7.1 channels", and use multi channel surround sound in your game to get a true immersive experience.

A lot of gamers report that with these settings they can pinpoint footsteps and other sounds in the game much better than with any other headphones.

Be aware that only by chance strange sounding headphones can fix problems that originated from sub optimum programming in a game.
This strange sounding headphones would sound exactly that, strange, with anything else.

Mobius doesn’t do that.
In fact it’s one of the best sounding headphones for music in its price range,
Not to mention its unique “3-D with headtracking”- feature that no other headphone offers.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #5,347 of 5,780
Thanks for the prompt and thorough response! I will mess around and try to implement all the above next time I can play the game! And I understand a lot of gamers are able to hear well footsteps etc., it's just the funny case of Warzone where sound could be completely broken.

I have ordered a pair of Arctis Pro Wireless as I found them for half price in eBay, new. So I can, firstly, compare the headsets for my needs, and to have that alternative for maybe other situations.

Feb 19, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #5,348 of 5,780
I am not a gamer, and I don’t know nothing about you setup, so my advice is absolutely generic:

• Use the AUDEZE HQ app to enter your head dimensions exactly like described in the manual and pictured in the app.

• Reduce the Room Ambience parameter from 35 to 20.

• Use Mobius USB wired.

• Set Mobius to “3-D Auto”, “7.1 channels", and use multi channel surround sound in your game to get a true immersive experience.

A lot of gamers report that with these settings they can pinpoint footsteps and other sounds in the game much better than with any other headphones.

Be aware that only by chance strange sounding headphones can fix problems that originated from sub optimum programming in a game.
This strange sounding headphones would sound exactly that, strange, with anything else.

Mobius doesn’t do that.
Not to mention its unique “3-D with headtracking”- feature that no other headphone offers.
am a gamer, did exactly this on my own from the start. However, I use 2 channel, because the majority of games are not properly done for 7.1 The true out of your head experience on that setting is for movies and TV. A handful of games sound better in 7.1 than 2 channel. It's getting better, but still a ways off. Again today, I cost Audeze a sale, when being asked about the headset, I feel they've abandoned this forum or the general users as they've gotten what they can from us. Which really does sour me on them, far as build quality and quality of life firmware/updates but I also reconize they are not as big as other companies and cannot dedicate people to each area of the internet. Love the sound, hate the gimmic and thin plastic

Feb 19, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #5,349 of 5,780
Mobius doesn’t do that.

Attaching an NX head tracker gives that to any headphone. (Got one on my LCD_2). Does not look stylish though. Not at all.

Feb 19, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #5,350 of 5,780
am a gamer, did exactly this on my own from the start. However, I use 2 channel, because the majority of games are not properly done for 7.1 The true out of your head experience on that setting is for movies and TV. A handful of games sound better in 7.1 than 2 channel.
You don‘t need to change Mobius setting to 2-channel to use it in plain stereo.

Leaving it in 7.1 works the same on PC usually, the additional channels are simply not used with stereo sources.

You can use the game’s preferences to setup your prefered mode, for more flexibility.

With gaming consoles this might be different.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #5,351 of 5,780

Leaving it in 7.1 works the same on PC usually, the additional channels are simply not used with stereo sources.

You can use the games preferences to setup your prefered mode, for more flexibility.

It’s different with gaming consoles. Mobius doesn’t support 7.1 on consoles which is the biggest drawback for this headset. It supports 2 channel and 3D tho. With new consoles Xbox using Dolby atmos and dtsx and PlayStation tempest, surround sound is handled by vss on 2 channel. I generally prefer 3D on Dolby off since 3D by itself creates a very good surround experience with head tracking.

Feb 20, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #5,352 of 5,780

You can use the games preferences to setup your prefered mode, for more flexibility.

I'm a PC and console gamer; Not always will 7.1 just 'work' in stereo. Like I said, it's been getting better and with the next gen console a lot better, which will carry over to most future PC games, but still do not just assume 7.1 and 2-channel sound the same for -every- game (I fully expect we'll be pairing apps to consoles and PC's for fine tuning personalized sound like sony has shown us in a few years) . If the user doesn't know to check they may leave themselves with an experience the developer didn't intend or anticipate.

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #5,355 of 5,780
I don't want this to be an off-topic comment, but I feel like giving Arctis Pro a go as it's got Dolby Atmos. See if it's any better for my needs! Anyone else that can compare those 2 headsets in a similar manner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back