Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Jan 26, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #5,296 of 5,780
hello,
i use my mobius only with the analog 3,5mm cable and connect it to the headphones output of my yamaha cx-a 5100 surround processor. does anyone know if in that case there's any sense in doing firmware upgrades on the mobius ?
best regards,
frans callebaut

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #5,298 of 5,780
I just want to add my 2 cents .

I have been looking for a wireless audiophile grade headphone for last 3 years because i travel frequently. My usual use is YouTube music and Netflix and HBO movies. My at home wired reference is HEX V2 which I settled on after extensive research and comparing with dozens of hi end headphone. My budget for wireless Bluetooth headphone was essentially limitless. I have been using Audeze Mobius for a couple of years now and decide to post this after the most recent disappointment , THX panda.

Simply put, Audeze mobius is the best wireless headphone for me. Every other headphone sounds anemic compared to mobius and that includes more expensive Anada BT, Amiron wireless and THX panda . I am not a gamer and i don't use microphone. I use 3d off flat preset for music but most recent firmware update has made 3d acceptable even for music. I never use it wired because to me, that defeats the purpose of wireless comfort and freedom. I also need some loudness (which is another problems with many BT headphone) so i am usually at 90% volume.

I wish Mobius had better built quality, longer battery life and little more detail but its unmatched otherwise so far in my search.

I have compared it with following headphones. They may have an advantage here and there over mobius but i had to return most of them.

Sony XM3
Bose QC3
THX drop panda
Anada BT
Amiron wireless
Audio Technica ATH-WS99BT
B&O PLAY H9i
PSB M4U 8
V-Moda Crossfade
Bower Wilkin PX
Sony CH 700
Skull Candy crush
Master & Dynamic MW60S2
PXC550

I am still open to suggestions for perfect Bluetooth headphone at any price point but so far, i have to say mobius has been irreplaceable so far.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #5,299 of 5,780
Ok so I found this thread when I was trying to choose between Penrose and Mobius and I even had some dynamics in mind based on the recommendations. I literally read 354 pages of this thread and maybe 500 pages more on other threads lol. I finally put my finger on Mobius. Even though I mainly play on the new Xbox, the 3D features of Mobius got me hooked over Penroses. Honestly my main concern was the sound quality over wireless dongle with Penrose would beat the Mobius with Bluetooth or AUX but I realized there is only -1 -3 dB difference in terms of SPL between USB connection and AUX and no difference over Bluetooth which I could live with considering I couldn’t output the volume to 100 on USB it turned out louder than I expected with AUX connection to Xbox controller. Before buying I thought I’d amp it up slowly but I didn’t even felt the need after. I don’t see the 7.1 usage on gaming but watching movies with 7.1 + 3D features blew me away. I questioned the reality of this mode being a virtual presentation of 8 channel audio. It is so accurate and immersive I can easily say I genuinely felt like I was at the theatre watching an IMAX movie. I also found myself preferring 3D mode on 2 channel without Dolby atmos to vice versa. Room emulation and 3D tracking combined is also a great surround experience on its own imho. I also enjoy listening to music with 3D on. I picked a couple of sounds that I haven’t heard before from the songs that I’ve been listening to for years now. I was afraid of clamping force but never had an issue with it so far. On the contrary my ears are extremely comfy wearing them but can’t tell the same for the cabin pressure. I push the headband back and forth after long sessions to deal with it. I know Mobius shines when it’s imaging but for me the representation of bass... oh my god... it’s the most refined strong but I don’t wanna make it sound like how powerful that is cause it’s not. It’s much better than that. It’s like sitting on a massage seat while sipping some premium hot chocolate. I know it makes no sense. I ran warm preset for alternative electronic edm tracks while flat was the sweet spot listening to some rock n roll hard rock for me. For gaming I used footsteps and rpg and both did well. I don’t know how I can put on another headset without 3D from now on. I’m just in love with these and will definitely upgrade it when a v2 becomes available. Also thanks Audeze and head fi community for having a huge impact on my decision with Mobius. Nada regrets.

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #5,300 of 5,780
hello new member here
Is outputting sound directly from gpu via usb c possible?
using usb type c to type c cable and
i am using radeon rx 6900xt

Did you mean cpu because you output the audio through either a sound card or CPU? GPU is the video card and has nothing to do with audio. If the answer is yes, yes you can output the audio signal through CPU if it has a USB C output. If not USB A is the way

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #5,302 of 5,780
hello new member here
Is outputting sound directly from gpu via usb c possible?
using usb type c to type c cable and
i am using radeon rx 6900xt

I don't have primary experience, but I believe the usb-c out on a graphics card should transmit audio. Windows should recognize an audio device if you plug your headphones in

Jan 27, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #5,303 of 5,780
Do you think something like this may work ? I mean it looks like highly possible with this thing. I am just not entirely sure if I can output audio via Ethernet of Xbox Series X. But if that’s possible I can output the audio via USB to Mobius directly from Xbox with this thing.

http://www.sonore.us/ultraRendu.html
Could work if you manage to get audio over ethernet.
Seems it‘s kind of a mini-PC, exactly what I thought could be the only interfacing solution.

Remember:
Mobius does not contain any codec, it cannot decode Dolby-Digital, -Atmos and the like.
The source or interface has to care for this and needs to deliver decoded audio channels to Mobius.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #5,304 of 5,780
Hi there. Finally, got them. But I'm not sure that there is 5.1 or 7.1 sound when I watch movies and playing games. Of course, 3D and 7.1 are enabled. Please, tell me what codecs should I use when I watch movie rips (I've tried AC3 and DTS-HD). And suggest please some PC games where I can test all 5.1 and 7.1 features.
Thank you!

Jan 29, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #5,306 of 5,780
Omg. So why they're promising 7.1 sound if any headphones can play 7.1 if you plug them into a sound card with 7.1 support?
Other headphones do play plain stereo and do NOT built a realistic 3-D soundstage, even if “Dolby Headphone” and the like are used.

The source, i.e. your PC, decodes the 7.1 codec, then delivers discrete channels via USB to Mobius.

Now Mobius does it’s HRTF / headtracking magic projecting the 3D picture “out of head” around you.
No other headphone can do that, because no other has headtracking built in, which is essential to make the virtual room realistic.

Use the AUDEZE HQ app to enter your head dimensions for full effect.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #5,307 of 5,780
Does anyone else feel like using the 3D mode constantly compresses the audio and decreases the volume?

Has been happening every time I watch a movie. I use MPC-HC and start at 60-70% and find myself going all the way up to 100% volume while without noticing any difference because I feel like it gets quieter slowly so I get the need to increase the audio... very odd, not sure if placebo effect

Jan 31, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #5,308 of 5,780
New member here, just putting in my personal two cents after a few months of ownership of the Mobius.

First, pros: audio quality is excellent (especially over USB). The 3D audio works well and I use it to watch movies all the time as well as game. Very expansive and enveloping, makes it feel like I am in a theater and not in a tiny apartment. Bluetooth syncs very fast compared to other devices I've used.

Negatives: After only a month or so, one side of the band started coming loose and the can fell out of the slot. I used a zip tie to tighten it. Very disappointing. I guess I could have contacted Audeze for warranty coverage if possible but I'm lazy and it works so I left it. The USB-C connection is problematic. I will be on calls and it can come loose causing it to revert to Bluetooth. A couple times it also lost Bluetooth with a loud squeal. Controls are clunky, especially for setting the 3D audio.

The power button has to be held to turn on or off. A switch would be better (weird that they made the mute button a switch...I'd rather have it the other way around). I put it in my backpack and a couple times the button would get pressed and I'd find it turned on. Although it's not Audeze's fault but the wireless format itself, Bluetooth audio quality goes down a lot when used as a headset, so I try to use it over USB most of the time for better sound but then the finicky USB connection comes into play (sometimes, I'd turn my head and it loses USB sync). It needs a locking connector of some sort to keep from being accidentally pulled out or loose.

The head tracking is great but I wish it was compatible with games like other tracking products used for flight sims or FPS. The gestures beta (per the guide on their website) which binds keys to head movements isn't really the same thing. I searched around but couldn't find any info of people having any success using it in games so if anyone knows some good examples, that would be cool too.

Oh, and I am getting crackling in the right earcup if pressed which appears to be a risk of planars, also mentioned on their website. I understand that planars have to be taken care of differently from other types of drivers but it means this headset just isn't that practical as a portable or heavy use setup. I wanted to use it when traveling or at work but I am trying out IEM's (Blessing 2 Dusk) paired with a BTR5 instead.

Thing is, that big over the ear sound is just really great and I am not that into IEM's in general but they are just more practical for on the go.

All in all, too many cons in this product, including the fact that there is no way to bypass the built in DAC so when it loses power this thing is a paperweight until you get it on a charger.

Jan 31, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #5,309 of 5,780
Does anyone else feel like using the 3D mode constantly compresses the audio and decreases the volume?

Has been happening every time I watch a movie. I use MPC-HC and start at 60-70% and find myself going all the way up to 100% volume while without noticing any difference because I feel like it gets quieter slowly so I get the need to increase the audio... very odd, not sure if placebo effect

Something similar happened to me once or twice (just using regular apps like HBOmax, Hulu). Audio gradually dropped and I would put everything at 100% and it would fade like air going out of a tire. For me, power cycling the headphone and reconnecting seemed to solve it and it hasn't come back in a while.

Jan 31, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #5,310 of 5,780
... The USB-C connection is problematic. I will be on calls and it can come loose causing it to revert to Bluetooth. A couple times it also lost Bluetooth with a loud squeal. Controls are clunky, especially for setting the 3D audio.

... Bluetooth audio quality goes down a lot when used as a headset, so I try to use it over USB most of the time for better sound but then the finicky USB connection comes into play (sometimes, I'd turn my head and it loses USB sync). It needs a locking connector of some sort to keep from being accidentally pulled out or loose.
As I advised several times here:

Get yourself a high quality electronics contact cleaner like “Teslanol T6” ($8) and apply a TINY amount with a toothpick to the USB contacts.

Under no circumstance spray it, and never use rust-resolver like WD40, Caramba and the like!

“Bluetooth Headset” is a mode that uses a very low bit rate, that’s an OS problem and cannot be fixed by AUDEZE.
It‘s meant for phone calls, nothing more.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back