Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 22, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #976 of 5,780
@Audeze
Audeze, with some people claiming intolerable hiss, some claiming no hiss at all, and others claiming somewhere in between, can you clarify how much hiss we should be hearing from Mobius, please?

I’m still on preorder with a UK dealer, but I’m probably going to cancel unless this hissing situation becomes a lot less random. Feels like a roll of the dice as to whether you get a hissing unit or not, which would imply that the hissing ones are faulty, barring misunderstanding or misrepresentation on the part of those reporting no hiss (which seems rather unlikely, as they seem so adamant about it).

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #977 of 5,780
So i just came back from holidays to find my Mobius (go Team Copper!!) waiting for me. Really Stoked!

Charged it over night. Plugged it in (USB). HISS. Wow it's really bad for my ears... Even present in more silent Parts of Music as well as in pause/breaks(yes, there is music (which is not limited to classical music which has breaks/pause) Doesn't change when I go from Hub directly to mainboard, or front-usb...
I know my power is good, no problems with my active monitors or any other headphones (and o2dac). Will look into Bluetooth and AUX tomorrow and will report back.

I like the sound signature so far. Will compare it tomorrow with fresh ears :)

Also: noone did mention the rather loud microphonics/microphony when running the cable over a table. Never had it this loud before (i use the Sony Z1000 as well as Denon AH-D600 as my regular closed-backs)

Sep 22, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #979 of 5,780
Count me as one with a unit that has zero hiss... not in any mode, with any source, at any volume. It's perfectly black.

Given the variety of computer/phone systems and connections being used, I wonder whether in certain cases it's the system/connection rather than Mobius. If that's not the case, then the QC at Audeze may need some work. Is every unit being checked for hiss prior to release, or is it just spot checking? Is it being done by human ears (which can be fallible) or via measurement device?

Sep 22, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #980 of 5,780
I didn't purchase these headphones so I can't test it myself, but has anyone tested using different types of connection to see if the hiss remains or if it lowers? Bluetooth, 3d mode on, etc.

By reading comments here it seems like the included cable is beyond awful (loud microphonics on USB says a lot) and horrible cables do make an impact, so might as well try using them wirelessly or swapping cables if you have another around. Or other causes could be a software/firmware issue or even too much amplification, so might as well try different modes and sources.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #981 of 5,780
I didn't purchase these headphones so I can't test it myself, but has anyone tested using different types of connection to see if the hiss remains or if it lowers? Bluetooth, 3d mode on, etc.

By reading comments here it seems like the included cable is beyond awful and horrible cables do make an impact, so might as well try using them wirelessly or swapping cables if you have another around. Or other causes could be a software/firmware issue or even too much amplification, so might as well try different modes and sources.

Count me in as another one without any hiss in any mode.

The only hiss I get is from the mic during recording :/ I've contacted Customer Service so hopefully they'll sort it out.

Sep 22, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #982 of 5,780
So there is either a lot variability among Mobiuses or... people are deaf.

1) My mobius has no hiss. Again I don't mean "minimal" . I mean DEAD. Radio silence. Cemetery at 3am . I know people are reporting hisses , they are either reporting their own tinnitus or "the fix" has a lot of variation.

I am definitely not hearing my own tinnitus. My unit has a very noticeable "hiss" and I say that in quotes because its not really a hiss in the sense that its annoying or hissing. Its just that there is an ever present white noise, like a static that exists in the background at a low volume. Hiss is definitely the wrong word here I think. The reason I say it that way is because a hiss would be extremely annoying and troublesome, this is... just kind of there. Again, its noticeable, in fact I would be surprised if anyone listening to my unit didnt hear it at least when pointed out. But it doesnt bother me all that much since it is just kind of white noise. But absolutely noticeable. Dont know if I am unlucky and others have better units than me or if there actually is some variation, but its absolutely definitely noticeably there on mine.

Sep 22, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #983 of 5,780

By reading comments here it seems like the included cable is beyond awful and horrible cables do make an impact, so might as well try using them wirelessly or swapping cables if you have another around. Or other causes could be a software/firmware issue or even too much amplification, so might as well try different modes and sources.
In my experience it's not the cable but the USB port that makes the difference.

Another one with hiss free headphones. I have noticed noise - more like static/distortion on my desktop with USB depending on which USB port I use. Those on the motherboard are noise free while the ones on the front of the PC introduce interference with the signal. USB on the PS4 is noise free too.

Sep 22, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #984 of 5,780
In my experience it's not the cable but the USB port that makes the difference.

Another one with hiss free headphones. I have noticed noise - more like static/distortion on my desktop with USB depending on which USB port I use. Those on the motherboard are noise free while the ones on the front of the PC introduce interference with the signal. USB on the PS4 is noise free too.

But that just doesn’t make sense. USB is just a data connection.

Sep 22, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #985 of 5,780
By reading comments here it seems like the included cable is beyond awful
I do not know where you got the information from and rather than speculating, a scientific approach would be appreciated.

The USB cables that are supplied is what we have used throughout development and for testing, they are of good quality. However, anyone is free to choose an expensive USB cable for their perceived sonic benefits.

We maintain a tight component tolerance and have seen no perceivable difference during listening tests.

Pitch black background is not possible without being cost prohibitive in an active headphone, the noise in Mobius is at barely perceptible levels.

There have been very few reports of noise that bothers a few and it could be attributed to a few who are more sensitive to noise or due to a noisy source.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #986 of 5,780
But that just doesn’t make sense. USB is just a data connection.
I can only report what I'm experiencing. The front USB ports are not on the motherboard and as a result seem to be subject to more electrical interference. I first noticed this when using a force feedback steering wheel. It was much more responsive when plugged into a USB from the motherboard as opposed to one on the front of my desktop.

Sep 22, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #988 of 5,780
So far so good. Ive been playing some Destiny 2, RE7, Frostpunk, Far Cry 5 and various other games. These headphones sound amazing and the 3D works really well in 3D environments, where as something like Frostpunk (RTS, city builder) sounds better with 3D mode off I believe. Also something more retro or 2D such as Shmups (or bullet hells) sound better with 3D off.

Movies/TV shows sound really great as well. I have been re watching The Expanse Seasons 1-3 (BluRay) and Altered Carbon (Netflix Win 10 App with 4K HDR and 5.1 audio) and they sound great, very detailed. I also prefer watching movies with 3D off. I see some people concerned about the bass but I think its really good, loud and clean, but I can understand the desire for a little more bass.

I wont talk much about music because that seems to be the main use for most people here. Music has been a very enjoyable experience. I use 2ch Hi Res on either Default or Music eq. Some Rocksteady, Reggae and Dancehall tracks sound better on one eq than the other, so I find my self switching between the 2 often.

My issue now is trying to find a good 10ft cable. Has anyone found one yet? I purchased one USB C 3.1 Gen 1 cord and I can hear poping noises when I use the longer cable, but the cable that came with the mobius sounds great, no poping. My cable is connected to my mobo. Im wondering if it needs to be Gen2 to eliminate the poping, or if there is another possible problem i dont know about.

Sep 22, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #989 of 5,780
My issue now is trying to find a good 10ft cable. Has anyone found one yet? I purchased one USB C 3.1 Gen 1 cord and I can hear poping noises when I use the longer cable, but the cable that came with the mobius sounds great, no poping. My cable is connected to my mobo. Im wondering if it needs to be Gen2 to eliminate the poping, or if there is another possible problem i dont know about.

I'd suggest getting an Active USB extension cable, should work acourding to some folks here, In fact I've just ordered one myself.

Sep 22, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #990 of 5,780
Mine came in on Thursday! ^_^

Since the Mobius is all about "3D audio", I decided to make a binaural ASMR silent unboxing of it, if anyone has heard of ASMR.

8:41 - Package of pamphlets and manuals
9:43 - Quick start guide
10:27 - Warranty book
13:25 - User manual
20:13 - Hard-shell carrying case contents
20:57 - TRRS 3.5 mm - TRRS 3.5 mm cable
21:23 - USB C - USB C cable
22:01 - TRRS 3.5 mm boom mic
22:27 - USB A - USB C cable
26:05 - Mobius headphones
30:21 - Turning the Mobius on

Go team Blue!

So far I'm liking the 3D effect. That being said, if I use the Mobius with my OnePlus 3, I need to raise the volume to ~70% to start to hear the effect more prominently (any volume level below that and there's pretty much mostly hiss and distorted music coming through the Mobius).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back