Audeze MM-100
Sep 7, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #916 of 1,466
In what way? Specifics?
"I like some meat on the bones of my music, so the reed-thin sound quality of some HiFiMan products -- such as the XS -- doesn't suit me as well even though they are excellent headphones for a lot of people.". The MM-100 is no different here.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #918 of 1,466
It strikes me as rational for them not to say anything except when to do so is likely to be enlightening and helpful.
So, answering repeated customer queries about the composition of the earpads on one of their products in the most prominent online audio headphone community is neither enlightening nor helpful?

Interesting.

Sep 7, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #919 of 1,466
Frankly it is. People would be way less upset if Audeze wouldn't have made promise after promise of a shipping date that they didn't keep. And it's ridiculous that you have to do things like debate the pad material because Audeze is too lazy to actually provide that information themselves. Things happen, but time and time again it's companies with crap communication that really fall flat on their face.
Agree. One of the reasons I'm so loyal to JDS Labs products is that John Seaber (Mr. JDS himself) answers questions in forums or my customer email directly often within HOURS of sending or posting.

I've also had similar high levels of communication and customer service from Dan Clark Audio.

Sep 7, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #920 of 1,466
"I like some meat on the bones of my music, so the reed-thin sound quality of some HiFiMan products -- such as the XS -- doesn't suit me as well even though they are excellent headphones for a lot of people.". The MM-100 is no different here.
The MM-100 sounds very different than the Edition XS. Where the edition XS seemed wide with elevated bass (for a planar) - the MM-100 feels very engaging and in your face. They feel like completely different headphones to me.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #921 of 1,466
The MM-100 sounds very different than the Edition XS. Where the edition XS seemed wide with elevated bass - the MM-100 feels very engaging and in your face. Completely different sound signature
So would you say mids-focused? I owned the XS, and mids were not a specialty, especially compared to something like an HD 6XX.

Sep 7, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #922 of 1,466
The MM-100 sounds very different than the Edition XS. Where the edition XS seemed wide with elevated bass - the MM-100 feels very engaging and in your face. Completely different sound signature
Yea, but that comment wasn't targeted at soundstage. The person want's meaty sounding mids like a 6XX which is just not happening on Hifiman 4**/5**/Sundara/XS or the MM-100, so it doesn't matter whether the soundstage is near/far.

Sep 7, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #923 of 1,466
So, answering repeated customer queries about the composition of the earpads on one of their products in the most prominent online audio headphone community is neither enlightening nor helpful?

Interesting.
Sorry, I was speaking specifically to the issue on the stock cable not working correctly in the left ear cup. 😅

Sep 7, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #924 of 1,466
Didn't all of audeze marketing show synthetic leather? That's what retailers were told to. What's the reason there's debate over it? They definitely feel synthetic to me on my head and sweaty but it was 95 degrees here yesterday and 80 in the house
they just said "gel filled ear pads" and no other information about it. Some retailers just say "leather ear pads".

This is a product aimed for professionals. We work many hours on the road with headphones. Synthetic leather is a bad choice in my opinion. As I said, even the cheaper LCD-1 had leather ear pads. I have these since day one and wear them every time on the road. The ear pads are still in excellent condition because I use a leather conditioner once a year.
+ The leather feels even better after I've worn them for a few hours because our oily skin is good for the leather.

Sep 7, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #925 of 1,466
As I said, even the cheaper LCD-1 had leather ear pads.

Not to be pedantic, but the LCD-1 wasn't cheaper, it launched at the same price as the MM-100, at least in the US. Dealers overseas may have sold it cheaper I suppose.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #926 of 1,466
If I remember correctly, I think that diagram for the T60RP is misleading. You may want to check the T60RP thread here, because I believe someone tested with a multimeter and found it was L+, R+, L-, R-, just like the MM-100 configuration. I only owned the T60RP briefly before returning it, so I can't confirm that now.
I bought a custom T60RP cable, 3.5mm TRRS to 4.4 "Pentaconn" for my Fiio K7 and it works perfectly. Left and right channels are correct on both inputs on the headphones as well. No issues here.

EQ's well. Narrower soundstage than the XS, but I don't mind it so far. Sounds pretty "flat" out of the box which is great. The cups aren't as deep as the LCD-2C but they are deep enough and comfortable.

Sep 7, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #928 of 1,466
Agree. One of the reasons I'm so loyal to JDS Labs products is that John Seaber (Mr. JDS himself) answers questions in forums or my customer email directly often within HOURS of sending or posting.

I've also had similar high levels of communication and customer service from Dan Clark Audio.
Haha, when I read the first part I immediately thought "..and DCA as well".

Just tell people what's going on, it's not that hard.

Just like how the weight has changed. They initially said it was 375g and now its 100g more? How does that even happen? And not even in a "we're developing a new headphone, here's what the specs will probably be but keep in mind it's preliminary" way, but in a "here's our new headphone, preorders start in a week" way. And it's not like this is just nitpicking a very short list of individual things, it's a pattern.

Sep 8, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #929 of 1,466
even the cheaper LCD-1 had leather ear pads.
not sure if you based that on my comment comparing local prices for the LCD-1 and MM-100 (*I definitely remember LCD-1 being slightly cheaper by $30).
but the differences are due to past vs current exchange rate. both headphones were $399USD retail price in the US.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #930 of 1,466
Reviews by gamers, audiophiles, film enthusiasts and other early recipients are much appreciated, as it gives us basic indications on how close the MM-100s shipped so far are in relation to what Audeze representatives advertised at trade shows earlier this year - and in relation to website product info. Audeze claim that every headphone is QC tested before being shipped out, and we wonder why we are hearing about swopped L/R audio from the left cable connector on some of them?

For me this new PM headphone, developed in collaboration with a top professional mixing and mastering engineer, has been of interest as an addition to my present mixing and mastering setup. I am waiting to hear from pro users who have tested the new MM in that application. Seems like the first production run has some issues that need to be addressed: cable connections (both unbalanced and balanced), earpads (material, attachment and longevity). I'm curious about the company's stance on those issues. So far they seem to be in denial, and whether or not these issues will be weeded out in time for the October run still seems unclear?

The 1/4" to 1/8" adapter is listed as SOLD OUT on the website but hopefully we'll see it back again with the October phones. Glued on earpads is a bad idea IMO and so is the use of synthetic 'leather,' that some owners have reported. They will wear down and need replacement from time to time. Also, engineers working on demanding projects all day hate hot and sweaty ears. If the LCD-1 had real leather pads at the same price point and the cheaper Maxwell has user replaceable pads, the MM-100 should have that as well?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back