Audeze MM-100
Sep 6, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #886 of 1,466
Hope your leg mends quickly, mate. Feel better soon!
yeah I’ll be honest it’s not looking so good. I didn’t hear anything snap but I have to keep my weight off it because of the pain and I have a separate strange sensation, almost like something loose is rubbing against the inside of my leg muscle. It feels weird like a brief tingling sensation (it happens constantly). You hardly feel “touch” inside your body so it won’t feel like on the outside skin, it’s like my nerves are firing and giving the sensation I am feeling.
I’ll be honest in the moment of injury it hurt so much I cried out so loud and I shed a tear, hadn’t felt something so painful in a long while. (my leg was dead - lack of circulation no sensation - and I collapsed on it)

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #887 of 1,466
A new professional headphone with leather earpads, made in collaboration with Manny M, with great accurate sound and lots of detail, and offering a L or R side cable connection choice - with jacks already connected internally is what Peter and Chris from Audeze tell us here. "It still gets you all the professionel sound that you know and trust":

Hoping to hear more on how the MM-100 actually sounds and how it compares with the MM-500. Is it as 'shouty' as the first MM model has been reported to be or has the high mids been pulled back a bit on the new model? And what about the heat/sweat issue that Audeze owners have complained about before with leatherette pads, has that been fully taken care of here?

EDIT for clarity

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #888 of 1,466
A new professional headphone with leather earpads, made in collaboration with MM, with great accurate sound and lots of detail, and offering a L or R side cable connection choice - with jacks already connected internally is what Peter and Chris tell us here:

Hoping to hear more on how the MM-100 actually sounds and how it compares with the MM-500. Is it as 'shouty' as that has been reported to be or has the high mids on the new one been pulled back a bit? And what about the heat/sweat issue that Audeze owners have complained about before with leatherette pads, has that been fully taken care off with the new MM model?

Well, the pads aren't real leather, right? So, we already can immediately toss the credibility of this "review" into the rubbish.

P.T. Barnum would have chuckled his ass off at YouTube. No doubt.

Sep 6, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #889 of 1,466
A new professional headphone with leather earpads, made in collaboration with MM, with great accurate sound and lots of detail, and offering a L or R side cable connection choice - with jacks already connected internally is what Peter and Chris tell us here:

Hoping to hear more on how the MM-100 actually sounds and how it compares with the MM-500. Is it as 'shouty' as that has been reported to be or has the high mids on the new one been pulled back a bit? And what about the heat/sweat issue that Audeze owners have complained about before with leatherette pads, has that been fully taken care off with the new MM model?

someone on the headphones subreddit (maybe not the most reliable) mentioned something interesting.
they seemed to have the opinion that bass extension wise it was similar to the HD6XX that they compared it too.
I guess we won’t know for sure until measurements are posted, but that was unexpected (is there a sub-bass roll-off?).
same user also said the HD6XX is warmer and the MM-100 has better clarity (Senn sounded veiled in comparison), which was expected.

quote below:
From the Senn 6-series, I only have the 6XX. I don't know that the MM-100 can extend deeper than the 6XX but what you get should hopefully be satisfying with the speed and punch it can offer, if you need a little more intensity, you can try and EQ more in. I just wouldn't expect going into this headphone that the bass is going to be more bombastic over the 6XX.

But they do also say the MM-100 will respond much better to a bass boost compared to HD6XX that can barely take it.

Here is also another quote with comparison to Hifiman XS.
I think that the XS is a step up over the MM-100, for a few reasons.
+ Better sound stage
+ Better bass
+ Better vocal/instrument timbre (my opinion) .
+ Touch of warmth

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #890 of 1,466
someone on the headphones subreddit (maybe not the most reliable) mentioned something interesting.
they seemed to have the opinion that bass extension wise it was similar to the HD6XX that they compared it too.
I guess we won’t know for sure until measurements are posted, but that was unexpected (is there a sub-bass roll-off?).
same user also said the HD6XX is warmer and the MM-100 has better clarity (Senn sounded veiled in comparison), which was expected.

quote below:
From the Senn 6-series, I only have the 6XX. I don't know that the MM-100 can extend deeper than the 6XX but what you get should hopefully be satisfying with the speed and punch it can offer, if you need a little more intensity, you can try and EQ more in. I just wouldn't expect going into this headphone that the bass is going to be more bombastic over the 6XX.

They do also say the MM-100 will respond much better to a bass boost compared to HD6XX that can barely take it.

Here is also another quote with comparison to Hifiman XS.
I think that the XS is a step up over the MM-100, for a few reasons.
+ Better sound stage
+ Better bass
+ Better vocal/instrument timbre (my opinion) .
+ Touch of warmth
The Edition XS comparison is interesting.

I agree with the very good soundstage, timbre and touch of warmth of the XS. But the note weight of the XS is far thinner than my Audeze LCD-2C or LCD-X 2021, probably because I think the bass on both of those cans is better than the XS.

I like some meat on the bones of my music, so the reed-thin sound quality of some HiFiMan products -- such as the XS -- doesn't suit me as well even though they are excellent headphones for a lot of people.

Sep 6, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #891 of 1,466
my Audeze LCD-2C or LCD-X 2021, probably because I think the bass on both of those cans is better than the XS.
Hmmmm I think it might have been you or another user who mentioned those exact two models.
I was going to reply saying if what reddit user said is accurate, maybe if you have a pair of big LCD series headphones the MM-100 might not do it for you.

Just from what I know, LCD-2/X are darker sounding headphones but as you say with superior bass quantity and performance than most headphones.
So with MM-100 being reported as a bit ”normal/average” in the bass combined together with “neutral clarity” for the mids and treble, it might sound even more bass light than it actually is when compared to the big LCD series headphones.

I like some meat on the bones of my music, so the reed-thin sound quality of some HiFiMan products -- such as the XS -- doesn't suit me as well even though they are excellent headphones for a lot of people.
Yeah this just reinforces what I wrote above, I don’t think MM-100 will be enough of a heavy hitter for you.

I think I will probably like slightly more impactful and deeper bass from MM-100 also (but less than you), but I EQ everything so I think I can squeeze that bass out of it (broad high cut).

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #892 of 1,466
How's the depth of the ear pads? Do you find that your ears touch the fazors?
I don't believe so, I certainly felt no discomfort -- I had them with me yesterday at the office but I left them at home today. I'll test again when I get home today. I know that some people have noted discomfort from contact with the fazors, but I don't recall that with any of my other Audeze headphones (LCD-2F, LCD-X, EL-8) that have fazors, but I admit it may also be that I am just not sensitive or find them irritating even if my ears did touch them.

Sep 6, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #894 of 1,466
Or you can wait for the FiiO FT5 planar magnetic which should be available in the next couple of months and will sell for $400 also. I would put my trust in FiiO and you want have to deal with the totally insane Audeze wiring fiasco.
I'm keen to hear the FT5, I've long been a fan of FiiO for their affordable gear, and bought some of it myself when I first got into this hobby. I am confident, that being said though, that Audeze will resolve the weird wiring issue. They sound great to me, and while I definitely want them to work from either ear cup, I have had no problem just using the right ear cup for now. :)

Sep 6, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #895 of 1,466
Well, the pads aren't real leather, right? So, we already can immediately toss the credibility of this "review" into the rubbish.

P.T. Barnum would have chuckled his ass off at YouTube. No doubt.
They are advertised on Crutchfield as pre-order with gel-filled leather earpads...Hoping when all is settled, and more information is out (reviews, Audeze corporate info, etc) I'll be more willing to try a pair.
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_1030.png
    IMG_1030.png
    226.5 KB · Views: 0
Sep 6, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #896 of 1,466
I've used the MM-100's for about an hour now. They didn't wow me like the edition XS did but that's because of soundstage...however they are built well, comfortable, and I find them VERY fun. Everything just sounds so nice even though it's not as spread out.

These are built better then the sundara's even though it's got more plastic.

I might need to get some ananda's - I returned my edition XS as they had issues within 2 months.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #897 of 1,466
I've used the MM-100's for about an hour now. They didn't wow me like the edition XS did but that's because of soundstage...however they are built well, comfortable, and I find them VERY fun. Everything just sounds so nice even though it's not as spread out.

I might need to get some ananda's - I returned my edition XS as they had issues within 2 months.
Bummed about the soundstage, but the imaging seems solid to you?

Sep 6, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #899 of 1,466
Or you can wait for the FiiO FT5 planar magnetic which should be available in the next couple of months and will sell for $400 also. I would put my trust in FiiO and you want have to deal with the totally insane Audeze wiring fiasco.
Gawwd, another headphone? My brain is starting to hurt 😢

😆

Users who are viewing this thread

Back