Audeze LCD3 Initial Impression
Oct 16, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #76 of 347
Oct 16, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #77 of 347

Quote:
Why should they move away from what arguably made them so successful?

Haha, I'm not saying that they should drastically alter their sound sig. I love my lcd-2s, but do feel that a bit of treble sparkle is missing, plus the uppermost highs are not as extended as say a hd800/beyer t1. I would love to have an LCD-2s bass and mids with added treble sparkle and extension.

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #79 of 347

Quote:
Haha, I'm not saying that they should drastically alter their sound sig. I love my lcd-2s, but do feel that a bit of treble sparkle is missing, plus the uppermost highs are not as extended as say a hd800/beyer t1. I would love to have an LCD-2s bass and mids with added treble sparkle and extension.

To me, "sparkle" is a code word for "too much treble" or "too sharp of treble".  Sparkly treble isn't a good thing IMO.

If they somehow manage to allow the treble to come though easier and be more there without actually increasing the amount or level of treble then I could go for that.  Just don't make it sparkle.

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #80 of 347

Quote:

The LCD2 extend more than the T1 and equals the HD800. 

It doesn't work that way, the LCD2 and HD800 are very similar in bass and midrange capability, Even the D7000 midrange is very good.  The D7000, the bass bleeds into the mids - if you can hear pass that, the mids are good.  Works the same the other way, the treble can bleed into the mids also.  Its not possible to the boost the treble on the LCD2 and retain the mids and bass the same perceptively from a psycho acoustic point of view.

You need to buy the square cup STAX, that's what you need.

Oct 16, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #82 of 347
I've placed my order for the LCD2 on headroom, waiting on stock, (upgrading from d7000), now im wondering if i should change the order to the LCD3. It will suck to get the LCD2 and then 2 weeks later, a superior lcd3 is available. Wont mind the $1000 premium if its worth it.

Oct 16, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #83 of 347
From what i am hearing from a very close friend of mine whose tastes mirror my own, the LCD-3 might just be the ticket for me. Haven't bought a headphone in over a year and half..this might just swing it for me.

Apparently, the LCD-3 and Liquid Fire combo is just the bees knees!

Oct 16, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #84 of 347
I wouldn't buy an new LCD-2 now, soon the for sales forum will be flooded with used ones from people upgrading and there will be great deal to make my one month old rev2 will be there soon enough.

Oct 16, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #85 of 347
i'm intrigued with the LCD3, as they may be the one to dethrone the sony r10s...
but i'll put it off for awhile until the first revision comes out, as they did with the lcd2.

Oct 16, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #86 of 347
I'm personally hoping that the LCD-3s will be like the LCD-2 rev 2s but with a bit more treble presence and sparkle, plus I'd love a slightly larger soundstage and more detail (not 009 level but at least as good as the 007s).

Then you will be happy on all counts.

I've posted a few different impressions of the LCD3 on multiple amps in the RMAF thread. My final impressions were posted about an hour ago.

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #87 of 347

Quote:
i'm intrigued with the LCD3, as they may be the one to dethrone the sony r10s...
but i'll put it off for awhile until the first revision comes out, as they did with the lcd2.

That thoughts have crossed my mind more than several times.  

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #88 of 347
Quote:
i'm intrigued with the LCD3, as they may be the one to dethrone the sony r10s [...]

The fundamental difference I can see is closed vs open. Not everyone can get away with listening to open phones (myself included sadly).
That said it will be an interesting battle
blink.gif

Oct 16, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #89 of 347

Quote:
That thoughts have crossed my mind more than several times.  

Quote:

The fundamental difference I can see is closed vs open. Not everyone can get away with listening to open phones (myself included sadly).
That said it will be an interesting battle
blink.gif

i've listened to the bass heavy r10 and have had the bass light r10 for several weeks and i will say that
they are not closed type. i think they are semi-closed in that there are large holes directly beneath the earpads
completely open and unblocked, hence the incredible open sounding feel.

btw, the difference between the heavy and light bass r10 is not as great as some may have us believe.
the gap is similar to the gap or difference between lcd2v1 and v2. noticeable but very subtle and almost
indistinguishable with classical recordings.

Oct 16, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #90 of 347
Thank you, Thank you, Jude for your post (#127 in page 9) of the RMAF listening impression thread.  You said what we shared after Friday audition of the LCD3.  At least, I am not the only nut (cracked) to come out and say that the LCD3 is a significant improvement over the previous editions.  As I indicated to you that I actually think it may trump the R-10 but of course time will tell.   Meanwhile, Huuuu, I am relief to see another more glowing impression than mine, that really relief a lot of pressure off my shoulder.  But then again, I've never been afraid of saying what is on my mind, it's just that sometimes its nice to have company in missery
wink_face.gif

"Lest you think I've formed this impression in louder-than-ideal meet conditions, I want to make clear that I've absconded with the LCD-3 to my hotel room for two nights in a row, in addition to meet listening.  I have now had two nearly sleepless nights with the Audeze LCD-3 balanced out of my favorite full-size-headphone-driving portable rig, consisting of iPod-->Cyper Labs Algorhythm Solo-->Ray Samuels SR-71b, driving the Audeze LCD-3 balanced via a Moon Audio Silver Dragon headphone cable.  I missed dinner my first night here (and so had to make a late-night fast food run), and ordered in room service last night--and, again, I've hardly slept.  Yes, I've been listening a lot."

"I know--the LCD-3 looks like a modified LCD-2.  It is not that.  It's not just prettier wood and super-soft earpads.  It's a whole new driver.  The diaphragm is a lot lighter than the LCD-2's.  The magnet structure is new.  It has a sound that LCD-2 aficionados might call familial, but the performance is no doubt better, in every respect, to my ears.  Simply put, you buy the LCD-2 and you get the LCD-2 (an outstanding headphone, by any measure).  You buy the LCD-3, you get the LCD-3.  I'm a guy who's purchased four LCD-2's (two rev 1's and two rev 2's), so I think I can say this with some amount of credence." Jude

Users who are viewing this thread

Back