Audeze LCD2 vs Sennheiser HD800??
Jun 14, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #46 of 1,379
Yes, but my point is that this a comparison thread between the LCD-2 and the HD800. It appears that the latter out performs the former in the area of listening comfort. I think that's a factor, which should be taken into consideration when comparing two premium priced headphones. 

Jun 14, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #47 of 1,379
IMHO, while I absolutely love the LCD-2 in terms of sound, the people who think they are really comfortable are either very lucky, or they are fooling themselves.  Even after weeks  of almost constant use, I would say they are acceptable, but no better, in terms of comfort.  Can I wear them for several hours at a time?  Yes, absolutely.  Are they as comfortable as the HD800? Nope.  The HD800 (and even moreso the Beyer T1) are much better choices if comfort is a primary concern.

Jun 14, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #48 of 1,379

Quote:
IMHO, while I absolutely love the LCD-2 in terms of sound, the people who think they are really comfortable are either very lucky, or they are fooling themselves.  Even after weeks  of almost constant use, I would say they are acceptable, but no better, in terms of comfort.  Can I wear them for several hours at a time?  Yes, absolutely.  Are they as comfortable as the HD800? Nope.  The HD800 (and even moreso the Beyer T1) are much better choices if comfort is a primary concern.

What if comparably bad sonics makes you uncomfortable?  
wink_face.gif
  Out of the box, I agree with you Sky.  I do feel, though, that the LCD-2s can be adjusted to a fare thee well by the end user, culminating in, for all practical purposes, custom fit.  Nice thing is, all those adjustment points are made to last!

Jun 14, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #49 of 1,379
Yes, and once the new foam arrives, I believe that will help as well.

And don't get me wrong - for me, the improvement in sound is absolutely worth the difference in comfort!  It just may not be for everyone. I've all but stopped using all my other open cans since the LCD-2 arrived. The LCD-2 get almost all my head-time.

Jun 14, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #50 of 1,379

Quote:

I think we know what the primary concern is, but comfort is definitely a factor for me when considering top tier headphones where the differences in sound quality is more a matter of personal preference than superior performance.

Jun 14, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #52 of 1,379

Quote:
Yes, and once the new foam arrives, I believe that will help as well.

And don't get me wrong - for me, the improvement in sound is absolutely worth the difference in comfort!  It just may not be for everyone. I've all but stopped using all my other open cans since the LCD-2 arrived. The LCD-2 get almost all my head-time.

Agreed.  I guess my point was, for the benefit of those not familiar with the LCD-2s, that they can be adjusted to be far more comfortable for the user than they are out of the box.

Jun 14, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #54 of 1,379

Quote:
I feel there is no real comparison, sonically.  The HD-800 sounds like a nice hi-fi headphone.  The LCD-2 sounds like real life.

I don't agree - the HD 800 *do* sound like real life - which is why I and several professional classical music recordists now use them as editing and monitoring headphones.

When I first heard the HD 800 I listened to my own 24/96 master recordings and the sound from the HD 800 was exactly what it sounded like to my ears when I was listening in the room when I was setting up the microphones to record.

I can't comment on the LCD-2 because I have not heard them,  but the HD 800 *do* sound like the original better than any other headphones I have heard.  And being a professional classical recording engineer I do hear the real thing.

Jun 14, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #57 of 1,379

Quote:
I don't agree - the HD 800 *do* sound like real life - which is why I and several professional classical music recordists now use them as editing and monitoring headphones.

When I first heard the HD 800 I listened to my own 24/96 master recordings and the sound from the HD 800 was exactly what it sounded like to my ears when I was listening in the room when I was setting up the microphones to record.

I can't comment on the LCD-2 because I have not heard them,  but the HD 800 *do* sound like the original better than any other headphones I have heard.  And being a professional classical recording engineer I do hear the real thing.

Understood.  To me, the HD800s sound better than most, but when I compare them to the LCD-2s, it's like another layer of the veil has been removed between me and reality.  If, once you've compared the two cans together, if the 800 still sounds better to your ears, that's fine.  It just means the either you've accommodated to the 800s or that they match your particular HRTF better than the LCD-2s.  Do yourself a favor though, and give them a listen.

BTW, many in the music profession are dumping everything for the LCD-2s as they have opportunity to hear them.

Jun 14, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #58 of 1,379

Users who are viewing this thread

Back