Audeze LCD2 (closed), Sony MDR Z7 m2 or Beyerdynamic dt1770 PRO
Feb 25, 2019 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Gymboy

500+ Head-Fier
I am buying first set of audiophile cans, so it would be good to hear some advices from owners who actually own some of the above.My sound preference is good low end (more sub) that is there when you need it but it doesnt show up all the time as artificially pumped, natural but strong with good extension and details, controlled with no bleed into mids,. Mids should give a bass guitar body, and vocals (male mostly) weight as my I will listen to various kind of music ( mostly Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Machine Head, Perfect Circle..), but also some EDM and Classical. High should have details, but doesnt have to be sibilant or too bright nor very dark.

It will be paired with Sony A45 + Cayin C5, so impendace doesnt really matter, up to 300ohms should not be a problem.

My preference is Audeze LCD2 closed version, as for Sony I heard low end is tammed a bit but mids are also scooped out and vocals are distant and miss a body, Beyerdinamic seems good just sibilance could be a problem but that can be dealt with EQ-ing.

Thank you in advance!

Feb 25, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #2 of 13
First i would like to ask, do your cans need to be Closed back? is there a particular reason(noisey home?)
if not, i would invest in a pair of Open Audeze LCD2C(Classic) because they offer that planar low end thats punchy controlled and wont bleed into the mids. and the highs are there but not overbearingly so.

Now, if you are only focused on closed back, I would stay away from the Sony Z7m2 because ive heard they do bleed into the mids slightly.

as for the DT1770 pro i wouldn't suggest that for this type of music to be honest. I tried it and it didnt sound as good as the DT1990 Pros which is why i ended up buying the 1990 Pros instead of the 1770s.

I haven't tried the closed back version of the LCD2C but from what ive heard and read, they seem to be less "sub" as you put it than the open variant. not to mention noticeable heavier on the head and larger all around. the closed version tend to also be more clean and almost not as thicker a sound than their open variant.

if you want something closed, but not too much Bass, maybe try the Focal Elegia? easier to run power wise, lighter build and roughly same price as the Audeze. alternatively you could get a used pair of Fostex Th900mk2, i had thoes and the sounds was very enjoyable.

Feb 26, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 13
Kinda prefer closed back, even though it is not noisy at home, just like to listen music privately and in a late hours, when everyone is asleep try not wake up anyone. Heard great stuff about open back, that would provide more stage and airyness but less bass and impact, not that I am basshead but from time to time like to go through trance/psy collection and have a feeling of lows in a strong way.

Yeah about Sony was kinda dissapointed, as Z7 original was very good, but with Z7m2 signature has been changed, and that was my first option TBH, gladly I read a good portion of reviews and didnt make a 700/800$ mistake..

Beyerdynamic is kinda mixed feelings bag, I believe it is a good headphone just more for kinda "studio" than for relaxed listening, quality is A+ just signature is different than I would like I guess (my preference is a bit warm, with strong natural low end, good mids and vocals, detailed but not harsh high end)

Why Audeze did attract me so much is size of a drivers, 106mm planar is quite a mammoth, which I believe can give really quite a detail and good "sub", all the other manufacturers offer between 45-70mm. Not that the others cant give good low ends, but I believe that almost 40mm bigger driver than 70mm (and more than twice than 50mm) should give better one.

Weight of the headphones is not a problem as long they are ergonomical and comfy.

My option before was also Fostex TX00 Ebony, but believe Audeze LCD2 CB should be better all aorund. About Focal didnt even think, but will go though few reviews too see how is stands against Audeze.

Yeah, it is kinda tough as there is no place here (in Ireland) that I know of where I could try headphones and in less than hour, I would know which one suits me the best.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #4 of 13
Well i will say, having demod the lcd2c and lcd2c closed that the closed are much heavier and more noticible after i would say 45min to 1hr of listening time. I did start to feel a bit fatigued at the weight. Sound was good, still had meat on the bones and not as lacking compared to the open variant however being a closed back you do get that limitation in soundstage and i do notice the bass being less airy and natural sounding. Mind you, still sound great and on 95% of tracks youll never notice. But i noticed on some of the tracks i demo headphones with.

I guess your best bet would be the audeze lcd2c classic closed. In terms of looks, i think theyre pretty cool. Have a white arrow accent on the cup, all black and a new audeze structure headband.

Feb 26, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #5 of 13
Yeah, lots of people mentioned a weight of a LCD 2 closed, while headband is great, comfort is better on the open one.Closed does that extra energy and bit of slam more on a lows, which I like, while open will be more forgiving and less fatique-ing overall. If I had chance to listen both at a same time I would and then I might even go for the open one, what scares me, if I go for the open one now, I might miss that extra thump even though everything else is even step up. It is so unfortunate that this headphones cant be listened first and then decided.. Thanks for a great arguments!

Feb 26, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #6 of 13
Feb 26, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #7 of 13
also if you want to watch a youtube. theres always a good/fair review from Mrnitpicker on youtube.

Feb 26, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #8 of 13
Thats a great article, just what I was picturing about LCD2 closed, warm, meaty, vital sound, Elegia has very clean representation but lacks a body in lower end which I would miss. I also did watch a review from a youtube guy above, and he is just into LCD2 opened all the way, thats what made me think twice, but I am pretty sure now that closed is what I into for.

Feb 26, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #9 of 13
Thats a great article, just what I was picturing about LCD2 closed, warm, meaty, vital sound, Elegia has very clean representation but lacks a body in lower end which I would miss. I also did watch a review from a youtube guy above, and he is just into LCD2 opened all the way, thats what made me think twice, but I am pretty sure now that closed is what I into for.
well as many in this community will tell you, when you think you've made a 100% concrete choice on what you want. you wont be 110% sure until you've actually put them on your head and listened to them. it may be difficult to do but i would say maybe find a place that has Audeze headphones maybe not nessicarly the LCD2closed but almost any audeze and give them a feel. they're usually all around the same weight/size. :)

Feb 28, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #10 of 13
Mar 1, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #11 of 13
Just got the TR-X00’s Mahogany and have the LCD-2 CB on loan and for me the Audeze would be my choice but almost twice the price but I think a much better headphone.

Sep 26, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #12 of 13
Late to this thread, but having listened to both the LCD and Elegia, I was profoundly underwhelmed, the LCD had poor imaging, the Elegia, weird upper mids. Both were good,
But not what you’d expect for the money. I then had the chance to try the Sony MDR Z7 mk2, not expecting much.... and I bought them half an hour later. Brilliant sound, not adventurous maybe, but with no glaring weaknesses, great imaging, bass with no boominess and highs that are there if you listen to them. Also supremely comfortable cans. Really, really surprised. And impressed. That too.

Sep 29, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #13 of 13
Focal Elegias sounded weak / tinny to me
LCD2 Closed, I still enjoy (work setup) even though I am mostly using (>2x the cost expensive) ZMFs generally.
Amongst the headphones you have listed, I think the LCD2 Closed are a good choice. The bass is very good. The headphone pads are lux.
.. they are heavy. I have used them every day at my office for some time and it is fine, but you do notice.
For closed backs at that price-point, I think they are quality... of course, that is just my opinion :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back