AUDEZE LCD XC
Oct 24, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #2,581 of 4,151

For those wondering how the limited edition XC sounds like, it's the same to my ears running out of Centrance HIFI M8. I have both 2016 versions. I like them better than LCD 3 which I have a sold. So perfect across the spectrum. I had Fostex TH900 just before this. I really wanted to like the Fostex, but the V shaped curve and strange sound signature were just too odd for me, even though it's technically excellent. The XC may be the best closed back headphone. My wife actually prefers the look of the normal version. She doesn't know which is LE which is normal. I'm  on the fence. 

The one on the left looks amazing.

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #2,582 of 4,151
If I had the choice, I would rather have my LCD-XC in a more modern finish, such as black carbon fiber cups with the suspension headband. 
cool.gif
 Hopefully it would be lighter too!

Oct 24, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #2,583 of 4,151
Maybe it is inappropriate but I've been switching to the X and XC back and forth recently and I found that I like the X more. It also sounds great and the fit is very snug unlike my XC :frowning2: what's happenening to me

Oct 24, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #2,584 of 4,151
If I had the choice, I would rather have my LCD-XC in a more modern finish, such as black carbon fiber cups with the suspension headband. :cool:  Hopefully it would be lighter too!

I would love to have the Fostex head band with the xc cups.

Oct 27, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #2,585 of 4,151
Anyone know if the LE XC have the latest drivers? My LE's warranty card says inspected 10/2015. My normal edition says inspected 01/2016. After prolonged listening I feel there is slight difference in sound because if there is anything it's subtle. Maybe it's in my head. It may be different wood density. 

I contacted Audeze and here is there response to new 2016 drivers. 

"We feel the current versions of our drivers offer a modest improvement in sonics but the differences are subtle and are probably not noticeable except in direct A/B comparisons. If you are interested, here's some information on some of the changes for our 2016 LCD driver revision:
-Reduced diaphragm thickness: Reduces driving mass for greater diaphragm response.
-Higher compliance: Lowers resonance for improved low frequency extension and bass definition.
-Optimized magnetic circuit: Creates more uniform magnetic flux distribution for a more uniform driving force, smooths frequency response, lowers distortion, with greater resolution and improved imaging.
-Improved diaphragm tensioning: A new system delivers better performance and improved consistency for less variation between units.
-Improved internal damping: Better, more controlled bass and a smoother overall frequency response.
-New voicing: Smooths the midrange response."

Any LCD-XC made after 01/25/2016 have the updated drivers. Unfortunately my limited edition XC has old drivers, and I think all LE XCs have the old drivers. I feel the sonic difference are audible but is very subtle.

Update:

I contacted Audeze, and they are nice enough to update my 2 week old limited edition XC drivers for FREE. Wow can't beat their support. This is likely determined case by case basis, but at least it's worth calling/emailing and ask. 

Oct 29, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #2,586 of 4,151
  Anyone know if the LE XC have the latest drivers? My LE's warranty card says inspected 10/2015. My normal edition says inspected 01/2016. After prolonged listening I feel there is slight difference in sound because if there is anything it's subtle. Maybe it's in my head. It may be different wood density. 

I contacted Audeze and here is there response to new 2016 drivers. 

"We feel the current versions of our drivers offer a modest improvement in sonics but the differences are subtle and are probably not noticeable except in direct A/B comparisons. If you are interested, here's some information on some of the changes for our 2016 LCD driver revision:
-Reduced diaphragm thickness: Reduces driving mass for greater diaphragm response.
-Higher compliance: Lowers resonance for improved low frequency extension and bass definition.
-Optimized magnetic circuit: Creates more uniform magnetic flux distribution for a more uniform driving force, smooths frequency response, lowers distortion, with greater resolution and improved imaging.
-Improved diaphragm tensioning: A new system delivers better performance and improved consistency for less variation between units.
-Improved internal damping: Better, more controlled bass and a smoother overall frequency response.
-New voicing: Smooths the midrange response."

Any LCD-XC made after 01/25/2016 have the updated drivers. Unfortunately my limited edition XC has old drivers, and I think all LE XCs have the old drivers. I feel the sonic difference are audible but is very subtle.

Update:

I contacted Audeze, and they are nice enough to update my 2 week old limited edition XC drivers for FREE. Wow can't beat their support. This is likely determined case by case basis, but at least it's worth calling/emailing and ask. 

My LCD-XC are the Limited Edition and were marked inspected in 01/28/2016. Audeze confirmed me that they have the updated 2016 drivers. I confirmed with Audeze before I actually bought them, as the store was kindly enough to provide me with their S/N so that I could check. This is what Audeze told me by then:

"Thank you for contacting us! The LCD-XC with s/n XXXXXXX was manufactured in January 2016 so the drivers are indeed our latest. If you are interested in another headphone, just contact us again with the serial number and we'll be glad to look it up"

Oct 29, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #2,587 of 4,151
You are lucky. I bought mine 2 weeks ago from Adorama. There is no way for them to check serial for you one by one. I guess spending $30 to get it updated and renew the warranty isn't too bad.

Oct 30, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #2,589 of 4,151
  How does one only spend $30 to get it updated?

hmm, buy a pair from an authorized retailer only 2 weeks ago then appeal to Audeze's goodwill while also being very lucky?
My guess is the $30 is for shipping.

Oct 30, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #2,591 of 4,151
hmm, buy a pair from an authorized retailer only 2 weeks ago then appeal to Audeze's goodwill while also being very lucky?
My guess is the $30 is for shipping.

I think it's very reasonable for Audeze to honor that if you bought it from an authorized dealer late 2016 but got a 2015 version. The main issue is that sound quality is significant different.

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #2,593 of 4,151
Hmm, this got me wondering when Audeze says the differences are probably not noticeable unless in a A/B comparison? Makes me wonder if the differences are in your head or there is really a difference?
frown.gif

I ordered the LE XC after I listened to the normal XC which I borrowed from a friend. I though the XC is absolutely amazing. When I first got the LE XC. I had no idea that there were even 2 different versions of the XC. When I put the LE XC on, I felt there is less control in the bass, overall everything sounds thinner and less smooth. The vocals in the normal XC was the best I have heard. It's so unbelievably natural. I never felt that again with the LE XC. I also thought it's in my head. I kept on ABing it back and forth. This is when I got on this thread to see if there are different drivers. I think the difference is not night and day, but it's significant enough where the new driver may be 9.5/10, the old driver is 8/10. Lets put it this way, if I had the old driver LE XC first, I'll probably be really happy, but once you heard the new driver, it's difficult to go backwards. 

Nov 1, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #2,595 of 4,151
How do you think the new version X compares to the old? I might keep the X and sell the XC

I have never listened to the X. I sold the LCD-3 because I needed a closed back headphone. I mostly listen to music lying in bed either with the wife or with one of my kids. The XC makes the most sense. 

You like the X better than the XC I assume?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back