Audeze LCD-X
Oct 26, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #347 of 12,748
I wonder how these will work with Schiit Mjolnir...

Both the LCD2 and LCD3 sound great out of the Mjolnir--I'm hoping the same will be true for the LCD-X. If the LCD-X still has some of the Audeze lushness and isn't overly bright (and it sounds like this is the case), it should pair well with the Mjolnir. The more efficient drivers and brighter voicing may make the LCD-X easier to pair with amps, but it seems like a waste to pair it with anything less than first rate sources.

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #348 of 12,748
Both the LCD2 and LCD3 sound great out of the Mjolnir--I'm hoping the same will be true for the LCD-X. If the LCD-X still has some of the Audeze lushness and isn't overly bright (and it sounds like this is the case), it should pair well with the Mjolnir. The more efficient drivers and brighter voicing may make the LCD-X easier to pair with amps, but it seems like a waste to pair it with anything less than first rate sources.

+1

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #349 of 12,748
I actually didn't get a chance to try out the XCs nor the X's but I did take a snap of the headphones. I'll get a chance to listen to them tomorrow and in the future :-

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

DAMMIT AnakChan! I have been trying to convince myself that I don't need the XC... Your photos are clearly saying that I need one. My wallet is most displeased.
:D

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #351 of 12,748
+1 and I also hope that lcd-x's transient response is as fast as he6 or hd800.
I sold my LCD 3 because it's too slow.

or T1.

Oct 26, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #354 of 12,748
I keep seeing different different colors for the LCD-X.  Website has blue, Headroom has silver, the photo above looks black... What color is the aluminum baffle and ring?

Oct 26, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #358 of 12,748
  It has to do with the fact that you need a higher voltage to drive a high impedance phone, which usually means a higher powered amplifier.

i.e. to drive 1 amp through 1 ohm requires 1 volt.
To drive 1 amp through 10 ohms takes 10 volts.

If you have a small amp with 10v operating voltage, in a perfect world, it could supply 1 amp into a 10 ohm load. (assuming it is engineered for that current output).
If the headphones are 10 ohm, it could supply the 1 amp. (i.e. 10 watts)
If the headphone is 100 ohms, the current is now only 1 tenth of an amp (100mA)

So, to supply the 1 amp to the 100 ohm headphone would require 100 Volt power supply.
That equates to 100 Watt power output,

In real life, the headphones don't require so much current, but to supply a 600 Ohm headphone adequately, it works best to have a higher powered amplifier to supply the needed current.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is slightly backwards.  Think of current as being "pulled" from a power supply in that a load (headphones) will only pull as much current is required as dictated by the load impedance and the voltage level of the amp.  Therefore a 600 ohm headphone will require far less current to achieve the intended voltage gain setting.  Ideally, with a "perfect" supply, power (wattts) will double down into lower impedances infinitely.  

However, the limiting factor is the amount of current that a power supply can provide.  This is the biggest difference between speaker and headphone amplifiers.  Now, efficiency is completely separate from impedance and is determined by mechanical parameters of the driver and housing.  If the lower impedance LCD-X maintains the same efficiency as previous Audezes, than it will require more current from an amp.  If the efficiency is high enough, it may actually require less current.  A good example is my Soloist.  It doubles down power all the way to 16 ohms, but puts out 9v at high gain.  It is most ideal for low impedance headphones of average efficiency.  A db/v efficiency rating as some manufacturers give is only effective if the headphone is high enough impedance to not trigger the current supply limitations of the amp.

Oct 26, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #359 of 12,748
  Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is slightly backwards.  Think of current as being "pulled" from a power supply in that a load (headphones) will only pull as much current is required as dictated by the load impedance and the voltage level of the amp.  Therefore a 600 ohm headphone will require far less current to achieve the intended voltage gain setting.  Ideally, with a "perfect" supply, power (wattts) will double down into lower impedances infinitely.  

However, the limiting factor is the amount of current that a power supply can provide.  This is the biggest difference between speaker and headphone amplifiers.  Now, efficiency is completely separate from impedance and is determined by mechanical parameters of the driver and housing.  If the lower impedance LCD-X maintains the same efficiency as previous Audezes, than it will require more current from an amp.  If the efficiency is high enough, it may actually require less current.  A good example is my Soloist.  It doubles down power all the way to 16 ohms, but puts out 9v at high gain.  It is most ideal for low impedance headphones of average efficiency.  A db/v efficiency rating as some manufacturers give is only effective if the headphone is high enough impedance to not trigger the current supply limitations of the amp.

You are correct.  I honestly laugh every time I see people say "wow, such high impedance, you really need a super powerful amp!" - i stopped trying to educate people, because no matter how many times you try explaining it, the pop-rumor will always prevail. 

Speaker guys understand this, though.  They know that their 2ohm speakers need the worlds beefiest amps compared to standard 8ohm models

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #360 of 12,748

Purple heart?

Yep...the headphone stand in my avatar is purple heart with black...it contrasts really well with the T1s. 

Unless you're making fun of the fact that I would want that color headphone, but I reject the idea that purple is a feminine color. Darker purple/plum is the color of royalty. The ladies can have lavender and the girly shades, but darker purple is the color of Kings, Ray Lewis, etc...

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back