Audeze LCD-X
Feb 24, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #9,061 of 12,748
Anyone is using the LCD-X with the Sony Walkman NW-WM1Z, especially through the balanced output, any thoughts compared to AK etc? Would the stock LCD-X cable with a 4.4mm jack to 4 pin XLR female balanced adapter be good enough or would custom balanced cables be better. Thanks.

A custom cable would certainly be better as the stock one is rather long, and having a large adapter is impractical for portable use.
As far as the NW-WM1Z, I've not heard good things about either of Sony's new amps that launched with Z1R

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #9,062 of 12,748
Portable use?   LCD X?

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #9,066 of 12,748
Call me paranoid but I would be worried the whole time if I were to wear my lcd-x out and about.

Same here! No way.

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #9,067 of 12,748
  Call me paranoid but I would be worried the whole time if I were to wear my lcd-x out and about.

Yep, as much as I love the pelican case for transporting them, no way I'd wear them while out and about. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #9,069 of 12,748
I definitely appreciate the info you have provided here. It is quite insightful. I am not one to subscribe to altering a headphone frequency response by any means other than by a amp or dac. However, you have piqued my interest. With that being said can you please describe how the Xs benefit from using the Sonarworks Calibration File? Does it have a smoothing effect or bring some linearity to the treble?

yes a smoothness to treble and more extended bass response.  it basically corrects the FR of the X to approximate true linear but in the process you may lose some of that native curve character.  Bit less midbass but more instrument separation.  Less congested sounding.  I guess it depends on what you are looking for.  My goal is to get all my speakers and headphones to sound the same (flat) and then apply the characteristic curve I like across all of them from there.

It introduces about 60ms latency if you select linear phase which doesn't change the phase response significantly in performing the correction.  In terms of just a calibrated eq it does a good job and across all your system audio. it is easy to switch profiles depending on what you are using.

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #9,070 of 12,748
The Jot is a good unit to start with.

The Jot should help you get a feel for what works and what needs improvement. I take it you got it with the DAC module. If so, that's likely the first area you'll identify to improve sound quality.

Yup!  I went with the DAC module.  Now I'm just painfully waiting for everything to show up... 

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #9,071 of 12,748
I'd worry about

1. It falling off my head and into a gutter filled with snow or rainwater, or down a sewer

2. Some snatch and grab a hole just going for it

3. Some street thug deciding I was easy pickings b/c I couldn't be aware of what was happening in my environment

4.  Someone rageaholic just getting po'ed enough by the sound leakage to bust a cap in my arse

Aside from that, no qualms whatsoever.

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #9,074 of 12,748
I keep saying this but, Audio-GD NFB11. It has a much better DAC, and although it isn't balanced, its much cheaper and the single ended output has more power.  305$ plus shipping.

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #9,075 of 12,748
  I keep saying this but, Audio-GD NFB11. It has a much better DAC, and although it isn't balanced, its much cheaper and the single ended output has more power.  305$ plus shipping.

Hm. Looks like that is the only option I have right now. Thanks for your help. If I want to go balance in the future can I use this as a standalone DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back