Audeze LCD-X
Jul 5, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #8,116 of 12,748
The LCD-X treble extends higher than the LCD-3. Not by much. Not HD800 levels. To me tho the big difference is it is sweeter.
About the same on the mids and bass.

So, the LCD-X had sweeter sounding treble than the LCD-3? Those are the two headphones I am considering to pair with my QP1R.

Jul 5, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #8,117 of 12,748
So, the LCD-X had sweeter sounding treble than the LCD-3? Those are the two headphones I am considering to pair with my QP1R.

To my ear it is sweeter. Always stays in control. I never notice harsh treble with the LCD-X. I occasionally do with the LCD-3. Not often but occasionally. LCD-X has more air as it extends a little higher. I find you get more magic with the LCD-X.

As always just one members opinion.

Jul 5, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #8,118 of 12,748

To my ear it is sweeter. Always stays in control. I never notice harsh treble with the LCD-X. I occasionally do with the LCD-3. Not often but occasionally. LCD-X has more air as it extends a little higher. I find you get more magic with the LCD-X.

As always just one members opinion.

I wonder if this still applies to the 2016 unnamed revision of the Audeze headphones.

Jul 5, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #8,119 of 12,748

I wonder if this still applies to the 2016 unnamed revision of the Audeze headphones.

I would imagine so. Audeze seem to improve their line when they make alterations.

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #8,120 of 12,748

Audeze send a free kit that fixes the ear touching fazor problem. It is a packer that fits on the inside ear pads like a wedge between the pads and the driver. Users say it works.

Just contact them if you have a issue.

Good to know! Thank you for the info.

Jul 6, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #8,121 of 12,748

The LCD-X treble extends higher than the LCD-3. Not by much. Not HD800 levels. To me tho the big difference is it is sweeter.

Oh, then I'll chime in.  Great pairing.  Have to turn it up a bit, but I enjoy it away from the desktop.  I haven't tried the 3, but don't they need more power than the X?  The QP drives the X  nicely.

Jul 6, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #8,122 of 12,748

The X might be better than the 3.  I haven't tried the 3, but doesn't it need a bit more power?  The QP doesn't have any problem driving the X, and I enjoy the combo when I'm tired of sitting in front of the computer. 

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #8,123 of 12,748
  The X might be better than the 3.  I haven't tried the 3, but doesn't it need a bit more power?  The QP doesn't have any problem driving the X, and I enjoy the combo when I'm tired of sitting in front of the computer. 

Yes. The LCD-3 needs a lot more power than the LCD-X. On my amps it is almost double (usually my X is at 11'O'clock on the 3 it is almost full volume).

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #8,124 of 12,748

Yes. The LCD-3 needs a lot more power than the LCD-X. On my amps it is almost double (usually my X is at 11'O'clock on the 3 it is almost full volume).

The only reason I'd consider unloading the LCD-X to try the LCD-3 is because I feel like I'm wasting my amp's headroom. That's literally it. Tonally, the LCD-X is flawless to me.

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #8,125 of 12,748

The only reason I'd consider unloading the LCD-X to try the LCD-3 is because I feel like I'm wasting my amp's headroom. That's literally it. Tonally, the LCD-X is flawless to me.

Agreed. With owning them both now for over a year I like the LCD-X more than the LCD-3.

There is the odd smoking Jazz type of albums that the LCD-3 beats the LCD-X in. Not by much. The LCD-3 has a slight more buttery mid-range and on those albums it is addictive. On everything else the LCD-X is the champ tho. LCD-X produces more magic.

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #8,126 of 12,748
I'm an X owner and have auditioned the LCD-3 at meets.  The 3 certainly need more amp as their impedance is quite a bit higher than the X.  The X are more open up on top.  The 3 have a darker sound but, when properly driven, they have superb bass and mids that lend well to rock music.  Might describe the 3 as more "musical" and the X as more "reference."  It's a different sound entirely. Personally, I like the X sound better.  They work for all music genres.  IMHO.

Cheers,
RCBinTN

Jul 6, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #8,127 of 12,748
Yeah. I can't currently find a purpose for my OPPO PM-2 but I mean I JUST bought them...

Jul 7, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #8,128 of 12,748

I would imagine so. Audeze seem to improve their line when they make alterations.

In the 2016 revisions, the LCD-XC was supposed to see the biggest change. I emailed them about getting the new drivers installed and they specifically warned me that the change was very subtle. If the changes to the LCD-XC are being referred to as subtle, I can't imagine the revisions for the other headphones was very substantial. 

Jul 11, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #8,129 of 12,748
Hi Guys,

Just wanna ask regarding the LCD X.?
My friend was using the Audio GD M9 amp,
The volume was reset to 99 and he suddenly played a song.

About 10 seconds of max volume over the LCD x?

Would this damaged the drivers?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Jul 11, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #8,130 of 12,748
Hi Guys,

Just wanna ask regarding the LCD X.?
My friend was using the Audio GD M9 amp,
The volume was reset to 99 and he suddenly played a song.

About 10 seconds of max volume over the LCD x?

Would this damaged the drivers?

Thanks,
Jonathan

It's hard to say. The Master 9 outputs 9 Watts into 40 Ohms. The LCD-X is only at 20 Ohms, so at full volume, it likely took even more than 9 Watts. The good news is that in short bursts the LCD-X is rated to withstand 15 Watts. 10 seconds seems a bit long than momentary, though.

Do you hear any difference in the sound? If not, count your blessings.

If you read several pages back, one guy accidentally put 31 Watts into his LCD-X and it survived. Somehow...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back