Audeze LCD-X
Jan 23, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #5,611 of 12,748
  Quote: after a few nights of going back and forth it became fairly obvious that wasn't going to plan.

Occupational hazard....
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #5,613 of 12,748
Folks, if you head on down to my signature, you'll find my thoughts on the Metrum Hex...just a wonderful DAC and it manages to extract all the details in a recording without sounding harsh or clinical. This ability is quite astounding...I was hoping I'd prefer my (now sold) Bryston BDA-2 (much cheaper that way), but after a few nights of going back and forth it became fairly obvious that wasn't going to plan.

I had no plans to upgrade from my BDA-2... Until I read that review. :wink:

Jan 24, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #5,616 of 12,748

I suppose Hex would sound great, but at the moment my funds allow me only Octave and i am afraid its resolution might not be enough for LCD-X. In this case maybe i should look for another DAC. My budget is $1500-$2000. Could i get something really good sounding - neutral with high resolution but natural and musical at the same time within this price range? Or I would better wait and save money on Hex or Berkeley Alpha DAC for my LCD-X?

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #5,617 of 12,748
I suppose Hex would sound great, but at the moment my funds allow me only Octave and i am afraid its resolution might not be enough for LCD-X. In this case maybe i should look for another DAC. My budget is $1500-$2000. Could i get something really good sounding - neutral with high resolution but natural and musical at the same time within this price range? Or I would better wait and save money on Hex or Berkeley Alpha DAC for my LCD-X?

The Hex is definitely worth saving for.
As i have never try the Berkeley before, so not so sure about it.

If not, here are some DACs that worth consider 
Chord Hugo is fun to listen to as their DAC is proprietary plus you can use it as a portable DAC and quite powerful too.
The Resonessence Concero HD has excellent sound stage and detail for its price, $850.

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #5,619 of 12,748
  Since it's already over my budget and the Solv X isn't much more expensive; is the Draug 2 still the better choice of the 2?

I like a warm sound, and I think the Solv X will give a bit more power / detail in the treble than the Draug, right?

I've tried many headphones and in almost every case I've found hybrid litz (not to be confused with spc) to be the ultimate balance of details, clarity, imaging and tone. 

I have 3 different Toxic Virus cables which is very similar to the Solv. 

For my LCD-X I recently contemplated the Solv but I ended up going all the way and getting the Arcane. I will let you know how they sound when I get them. 

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #5,620 of 12,748
  The Hex is definitely worth saving for.
As i have never try the Berkeley before, so not so sure about it.

If not, here are some DACs that worth consider 
Chord Hugo is fun to listen to as their DAC is proprietary plus you can use it as a portable DAC and quite powerful too.
The Resonessence Concero HD has excellent sound stage and detail for its price, $850.

What would be the main difference between The Resonessence Concero HD and Metrum Octave (esp. for LCD-X), I wonder :)

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #5,621 of 12,748
Octave is a wonderful DAC with LCDX. Pair with the Aurix for sonic nirvana on a reasonable budget

Sounds great to me, at least theoretically and as for the budget.
I hope the resolving power of both the Metrum DAC and amp would be enough to get the most out of LCD-X.

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #5,622 of 12,748

Since it's already over my budget and the Solv X isn't much more expensive; is the Draug 2 still the better choice of the 2?

I like a warm sound, and I think the Solv X will give a bit more power / detail in the treble than the Draug, right?

I've tried many headphones and in almost every case I've found hybrid litz (not to be confused with spc) to be the ultimate balance of details, clarity, imaging and tone. 

For my LCD-X I recently contemplated the Solv but I ended up going all the way and getting the Arcane. I will let you know how they sound when I get them. 

There is no other cable with the design of the Norne Solv X, not even close, it is in a class of it's own.  One wire to each cup, the litz strands are very tediously separated into signal and ground.  A one of a kind construction.  Sound is dynamic, detailed with lots of bass punch, IMO, sounds best on the LCD X!

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #5,623 of 12,748

There is no other cable with the design of the Norne Solv X, not even close, it is in a class of it's own.  One wire to each cup, the litz strands are very tediously separated into signal and ground.  A one of a kind construction.  Sound is dynamic, detailed with lots of bass punch, IMO, sounds best on the LCD X!

What about the Forza Audioworks Noir Hybrid HPC?

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #5,624 of 12,748

What is the Arcane? I don't even see it on their site.

Jan 24, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #5,625 of 12,748

What about the Forza Audioworks Noir Hybrid HPC?

The Norne Solv X is much more advanced than the Forza Audioworks cable that is linked.  The Solv X is Type 6 Litz that has 11 textile cores, the center core is conductive.  It's like compareing apples to oranges.  The Norne Solv X is the only cable with this design in the world! 

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Norne-Solv-Silver-OCC-Litz-multi-core-type-4-6-x-copper-semi-conductive-core-refined-detail-transparency-Audeze-Hifiman-Oppo-pm-1-Sony-MDR-z7-Sennheiser-hd800-lcd-xc-2-3-fazor-3f

Users who are viewing this thread

Back