Audeze LCD-X
Mar 4, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #3,361 of 12,748
  If they sound great to you with the stock cables, I wouldn't worry too much.  If you want to squeeze the last two or three percent out of these magnificent cans, they I'd recommend a silver replacement cable.  Changes are subtle, but still noticeable for the better.

You need to spend $0 on cables.  'IF' they make and difference its very small (I think they do).  The reason I would invest in a cable is for aesthetic / ergonomic   purposes.  Don't think you need to spend money on a fancy cable for sound.

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #3,362 of 12,748
  Hello LCD-X Friends,
I am in need of advice.  Do I need to spend $250 to $350 for after-market cables for my LCD-X?  Do they really change the sound?  After reading all the posts, I am still confused.  I think the cans sound great with the stock cables...how much will after-market cables improve the sound?

Thanks for you help -
RCBinTN

Seriously, I'd save your $ and invest in your amp/dac first. When that's pretty well maxed, then worry about the cables. 
smile.gif

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #3,363 of 12,748

Mike - the cable looks really nice.  Do the LCD-X sound better with that cable, compared to the stock cable supplied by Audeze?

I love the cable, but I'd have to honestly say I can't really hear an audible difference.  But, I've been re-listening to a lot of my old stuff, and appreciating the new life a lot of these recordings have with the LCD-X.  So, in that sense, almost everything is sounding better.  I've switched in the stock cable, and sometimes I think the mids are a bit leaner sounding with it, but then I'm not so sure--placebo, maybe.  I do know that the stock cable is heavy, noisy against my shirt, and ugly.  

As for the Q cable, absolutely zero micro phonics, which was the main reason I purchased it; and of course, a cable that doesn't make any physical noise when it brushes your clothing is also going to be incredibly light.  The workmanship and looks are also top notch.  I'm thinking of getting another in the same color (along with the 'ears') for my HD-800s.

I've got Mary Black's 'Shine' on right now.  Gorgeous sounding. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #3,364 of 12,748
I have the stock flat cable for the LCD-2 and don't like it at all. It folds up under my arm when I hang out in my easy chair....and it catches on my setup. It sounds great though. I'm going to build up a cable this weekend with some nice flexible round Canare starquad. I like the ergonomics of the round stuff better.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #3,365 of 12,748
I have the stock flat cable for the LCD-2 and don't like it at all. It folds up under my arm when I hang out in my easy chair....and it catches on my setup. It sounds great though. I'm going to build up a cable this weekend with some nice flexible round Canare starquad. I like the ergonomics of the round stuff better.

Which Canare do you plan to use? I'd recommend the 4S6 speaker cable if you haven't already bought something else.

se

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #3,366 of 12,748
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm starting with stripped L-4E6S, it's a little thinner than the 4S6, but does have the annoying shield. I'll post some photos when I'm done splicing it up this weekend. :)

Which Canare do you plan to use? I'd recommend the 4S6 speaker cable if you haven't already bought something else.

se

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #3,367 of 12,748
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm starting with stripped L-4E6S, it's a little thinner than the 4S6, but does have the annoying shield. I'll post some photos when I'm done splicing it up this weekend. :)

Yeah, it's the 4S6s lack of a shield that I like. A L-4E6S without a shield would be perfect.

Look forward to the photos. Will you be posting them in this thread?

se

Mar 5, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #3,368 of 12,748
The cables are the same across the series, so sure, I'll link it in this thread too. :)

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #3,369 of 12,748
Well, I finally got so annoyed with the cable on this headphone I decided to make my own. Cost me about 15 bucks.

txhPhXC.jpg

qSbrZT8.jpg

I know it doesn't look super awesome but it only took about an hour to whack together, I am sure if I put more thought into it it would have come out a lot nicer. And this one doesn't twist itself into knots!

Also forgive the small piece if white tape on one of the connectors.... I kinda cheaped out and didn't buy colour coded shrink tubing or even xlr connectors with Left or Right on them >_<.

Next time though I am just going to order one from Mr. Eddy. To be brutally honest building cables is a pain in the rear end. But at least it was interesting. You cable builders certainly earn your dough.

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #3,370 of 12,748
Thanks to all for your comments about after-market cables for the LCD-X.
I'm so busy enjoying the music that I hardly notice the cable.
Maybe a Silver Dragon someday, if I ever get a tax refund.

All the Best -
Richard

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #3,371 of 12,748
if anyone is looking for an amp for the X, there is a pretty new bryston bha-1 on audiogon for under $900, (not affliated in any way, just passing the info along)
it pairs very good with the x

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #3,373 of 12,748
so i'm putting my lcd x on a little while ago, as it is going over my head, it slips out of one hand, and hits my forehead
it hit hard enough that it drew blood !  , just a little, but blood, damn its a heavy headphone

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #3,375 of 12,748
I wear the XC for around 5 to 6 hours a day at work every day and it is starting to leave a bruise on my head where the band rests.  I never notice the weight of the headphones but over time it does cause some tenderness on my head.  No ear strain though.  The X seem not to cause the same level of pressure but still will make my head tender after awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back