Audeze LCD-X
Feb 12, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #3,017 of 12,748
Local place now has the LCD-X in store. Will lug my Taurus in for a listen soon.

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #3,020 of 12,748

Damn, that is nice
smily_headphones1.gif
Steve Eddy should get into fashion after he's done making cables, he sure knows how to make things look nice

Don't you have to be gay to be a male in the fashion industry?
tongue.gif

se

.... you might also consider a sex-change...
confused_face(1).gif

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #3,022 of 12,748
Feb 13, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #3,023 of 12,748
Hey!

Long time no post.

After having to sell all my headphone stuff, including my LCD-2's and WA22, which I sorely miss, I'm back in the game.. I bought some LCD-X's..

Now, my setup is SO much humbler then what I used to have, just a HRT Headstreamer, iPod, and a Fiio E12. And using iTunes, spotify to come.

These phones are amazeballs! The build quality is fantastic, and far better then the plasticky feel that other companies do, despite what the material is, Sennheiser are you listening to me? It certainly is better then the lcd-2's I used to have, with plusher pads, comfort is spot on.

With my source caveat, I won't be going into too deeply with all that audiophile descriptive stuff, but I did listen to it whilst demoing it on some top end amps and sources too.

Why did I but these over the cheaper HD800's? Simple, I find the 800's cold and detached. It may have all the audiophile tick boxes done, but who gives a snot when I feel like I have scalpels attached to my ears? Its a surgical tool, not music making equipment. The X attaches me emotionally to the music. The 800's do not.

Versuses the 2's, it corrects all my issues, the dynamics are faster, and the sludge in the mids have gone. This is the last and only phone I need to own.

Buy some.

Feb 13, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #3,024 of 12,748
Lots of positive feedback in here.

Anyone care to comment on how easy these are to drive? I've heard that they're easier to drive than the LCD 3's.

Easy enough to drive (and sound good) straight from a wallplugged DAC? Or is that still a no-no?

How about a smaller tube amp like the DNA sonett? Think that will work or is something beefier required?

Anyone who actually has tested this?

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #3,025 of 12,748
It's funny. Audeze say that an iPod can drive them, but you'll get the best from them amped.. I think more clean, quality power at 50 ohms. All companies will show what power is delivered at specific impedances, so look at amps which deliver their peak power at lower impedances. I'm happy to be corrected by some clever folk here, but that's how I read it!

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #3,026 of 12,748
Hi all, i put in an order for an LCD-X happy days :)

Can anybody recommend me a very good wall mountable stand/storage/hook that keeps the lcd in shape. Something thats good quality, not cheapo

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #3,027 of 12,748
Versuses the 2's, it corrects all my issues, the dynamics are faster, and the sludge in the mids have gone. This is the last and only phone I need to own.

Exactly right about correcting the 2's issues.  And yes, much more comfortable with the softer pads, (even though they're a bit heavier, I think) and easier to drive.  I always ran my V-200 at zero gain with the LCD-2's, and now I've gone to the -6 dB setting, just to get a little more movement with the volume pot.  Even with that setting, 10:00-10:30 is about as high as I want to go, so I might try the -12 dB setting.  I'm just not sure about your very last statement, though.
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #3,028 of 12,748
Hey!

Long time no post.

After having to sell all my headphone stuff, including my LCD-2's and WA22, which I sorely miss, I'm back in the game.. I bought some LCD-X's..

Now, my setup is SO much humbler then what I used to have, just a HRT Headstreamer, iPod, and a Fiio E12. And using iTunes, spotify to come.

These phones are amazeballs! The build quality is fantastic, and far better then the plasticky feel that other companies do, despite what the material is, Sennheiser are you listening to me? It certainly is better then the lcd-2's I used to have, with plusher pads, comfort is spot on.

With my source caveat, I won't be going into too deeply with all that audiophile descriptive stuff, but I did listen to it whilst demoing it on some top end amps and sources too.

Why did I but these over the cheaper HD800's? Simple, I find the 800's cold and detached. It may have all the audiophile tick boxes done, but who gives a snot when I feel like I have scalpels attached to my ears? Its a surgical tool, not music making equipment. The X attaches me emotionally to the music. The 800's do not.

Buy some.

Dude, I agree with every single word of this....even "amazeballs". 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back