Audeze LCD-X
Feb 8, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #2,943 of 12,748
Who isn't? :)

Me, well you did ask 
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #2,946 of 12,748
Listening to the Beatles US Box Set (HELP) with my LCD-X and boy is there a smile on my face! Simply outstanding sounding headphones! :L3000:

I just have Abbey Road on the turntable and listen via LCD-X... It's not the pleasure-shock I recently experienced with Yello, but the smile you describe, yes, I also can't avoid it...

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #2,947 of 12,748
  In terms of detail retrieval, are the X and HD800 even close?  I plan to listen mostly classical once I decide which of these to purchase.

The LCD-X have this sort of realism and clarity in the midrange that is just astonishing at times. It's definition with emotion and PRAT. The HD800 probably have an edge in overall resolution but it seems forced and unreal to me in comparison to the LCD-X, even irritating at times. I spent a considerable amount of effort in the past on taming the HD800 and was never really successful.

I've had my LCD-X for nearly two weeks now and have absolutely no regrets despite their expense. They are as of now the crown jewel in my rig and I now have a setup that I love to listen to and I can really enjoy music with.  For a long time I was trying to build a headphone system that matched the sound of my big speaker rig, and as of now I have actually exceeded that goal by some considerable margin.

I would suggest you audition them both, because if you do listen to classical as it is performed on stage it may be preferable to have the HD800 as their enhanced soundstage sometimes works out really well with classical and you may prefer it. I listen to a fair amount of symphonic (the LSO Beethoven DSD series) and piano, and I prefer the LCD-X for their overall tone and realism which I consider to be more important than a super wide stage. In fact over the past two weeks I have only swapped my HD800s back in once to do a comparison and they were back out in 10 minutes.

I'm the sort of person who usually complains about everything and tends to suffer from a lot of buyer's remorse, but not this time. The LCD-X are an amazing achievement and considering how good they are with so many genres of music are probably overall the best phones I have heard. 

Feb 8, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #2,950 of 12,748
  Listening to the Beatles US Box Set (HELP) with my LCD-X and boy is there a smile on my face! Simply outstanding sounding headphones! 
L3000.gif

Hehe, Saw this and put mine on. It sounds great :). Listening to it now.

I have been listening to a lot of Pink Floyd since I got mine. A band called Haken, Steven Wilson, Opeth. Tchaikovsky, Bach, Saint-Saens, Tool, Devin Townsend, King Crimson. There's been a lot more and it's all excellent. 

Can't seem to get the LCD-X off my head. 

Feb 9, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #2,955 of 12,748
Lost my SR535 a week ago. Decided that maybe I should avoid IEM as I had lost 3 pair in last year. Ended up replacing them with Sennheiser Momentums. Wow they felt heavy and so big compared to what I was used to for portable rig. In any case, started thinking a good home headphone system would be nice given that the new baby doesn't like loud noises.

Did my research and popped into local head/hi if shop, Audio High. Auditioned hd800 and lcd 3. While lcd 3 had good bass range and control, the lows just were overwhelming the rest of the music for me. The hd800 seemed more my speed, but the huge soundstage seemed unrealistic and deterred from enjoyment of music for some genres. For classical, hd800 were pretty awesome. For thinner music like most rock, the huge soundstage was distracting. Why does the 4 member band sound like they are coming from different zip codes? In any case, salesguy said I should try lcd-x. Took about 30 sec to decide they were the best for me. Soundstage seemed bigger than lcd 3 but obviously no where close to hd800. The bass was present and controlled, but no where near volume I heard with lcd 3 and more than hd800. Just musical and lovely vocals with good resolution. In any case, walked out of there with lcd x (btw how do I post my freq graph), a hd650 for my brother in law, and a couple of meredian explorers for fun.

My dilemma now is to design a headphone rig to properly play my lcd x. While lcd x seems relatively easy to drive, I do want a rig that will make it sing and hopefully work with any harder to drive headphones I might buy in future. So please give me any recommendations and positives/negatives of them as I basically only really know stereo equipment. Looking at woo audio stuff, wa7 etc; burson soloist/conductor; chord hugo; yulong. Feel free to suggest more, but please give me some strengths/weakness with the lcd x.

Thanks in advance.

Btw, now my Momentums sound terrible. I actually was walking around with lcd x plugged into ipod while running errands. Caught a glimpse of me in window. I looked ridiculous and I was reminded that these were open headphones and everyone could hear what I was listening too, including the embarrassing stuff, but it sounded so good that I kept it to a glance and promptly ignored it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back