Audeze LCD-X
Feb 4, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #2,911 of 12,748
Just visited the Audeze site and like the gunmetal gray color all the lcd xc cups except bubinga are no longer offered

Also don't you guys think the lcdx would look cool if it had black connectors kinda like the lcd2 but maybe shiny metal, make the whole thing stealthy......I know maybe too much time on my hands this evening

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #2,912 of 12,748
Well, I just got my LCD-X. Right in the middle of lunch. 

I calmly completed my mastication, then proceeded to my room and closed the door gently and with purpose. 

I am running them out of my Phonitor and I'll be honest if this is the Phonitor not driving these headphones correctly I would hate to hear something that did. I can't even get the volume knob to a quarter before they become way too loud. 

In short: these are astounding.

It took my ears a little while to adjust to the more intimate sound of these compared to my T1. At first I was sitting here wondering where the treble had gone, but it's there in all it's glory, it's just not as prominent as the T1. The bass is quite frankly ridiculous, so tight and so deep.

The first thing I noticed however was the vocals. Anneke Van Giersbergen's voice had always brought tears to my eyes but this is just blowing me away. 

All the details I thought I would be missing are there but the top end is so well behaved. Everything just seems very liquid and balanced and perfect really. 

This is my first time hearing ortho headphones, except for a brief listen to some LCD-2 a long time ago. I think even after this brief listen I can sign myself up as a permanent and die hard fan. 

I'll admit my mind had wondered a bit as to whether these headphones would be worth the money, they're 2k here in Aus (GST, import duties, exchange rate, retailers cut etc...). It didn't keep me up or anything as I knew I would be able to on sell them if I didn't like them but they are staying right here.

I have to admit I was a little skeptical, I kept wondering how they could possibly trump my T1. Well, They have.

Downsides: Well, maybe one or two. the clamping pressure is maybe just a little too tight. At least enough to make me notice it after a while. The cable seems a little on the flimsy side.

Anyway...

Excuse me while I lock myself in my room for a few days. :D

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #2,913 of 12,748
  Well, I just got my LCD-X. Right in the middle of lunch. 

I calmly completed my mastication, then proceeded to my room and closed the door gently and with purpose. 

I am running them out of my Phonitor and I'll be honest if this is the Phonitor not driving these headphones correctly I would hate to hear something that did. I can't even get the volume knob to a quarter before they become way too loud. 

In short: these are astounding.

It took my ears a little while to adjust to the more intimate sound of these compared to my T1. At first I was sitting here wondering where the treble had gone, but it's there in all it's glory, it's just not as prominent as the T1. The bass is quite frankly ridiculous, so tight and so deep.

The first thing I noticed however was the vocals. Anneke Van Giersbergen's voice had always brought tears to my eyes but this is just blowing me away. 

All the details I thought I would be missing are there but the top end is so well behaved. Everything just seems very liquid and balanced and perfect really. 

This is my first time hearing ortho headphones, except for a brief listen to some LCD-2 a long time ago. I think even after this brief listen I can sign myself up as a permanent and die hard fan. 

I'll admit my mind had wondered a bit as to whether these headphones would be worth the money, they're 2k here in Aus (GST, import duties, exchange rate, retailers cut etc...). It didn't keep me up or anything as I knew I would be able to on sell them if I didn't like them but they are staying right here.

I have to admit I was a little skeptical, I kept wondering how they could possibly trump my T1. Well, They have.

Anyway...

Excuse me while I lock myself in my room for a few days. :D

+1 to all that...I never thought I'd have a headphone that would do everything better than the T1s...

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #2,914 of 12,748
No idea why they dropped the balanced cables. Though personally, I wouldn't miss it if I never had to make another balanced cable, if for no other reason than it would eliminate the abomination of a balanced cable with a single ended adapter on it.
biggrin.gif

se

Hey !  I bought one of those "abominations" off you.  Got to say, it sound like a pretty magnificent abomination to me ... 
beerchug.gif

Can't wait till LHLabs start supplying their Pulse X - I'll be able to hear the LCD-2's properly balanced for the first time.

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #2,917 of 12,748
  Pulled the trigger on the McIntosh D100 to use as a DAC/Preamp to drive the LCD X directly or via my WA7...

What's a ballpark on one of these? Around $5k? Dealer only, right? Can't find them online. Post some impressions with the X when you get a chance, please. Especially the amp section as compared to the WA7 amp.

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #2,919 of 12,748

The D100 retails for $2500. Is it not a touch overkill for the WA7?

Probably. Not so sure if the headphone amp section of the D100 is much better than the WA7's, though. In my experience, the bulk of the cost of such integrated components goes to anything but the headphone amp. The WA7 is more focused on the headphone amp. No doubt that the D100 would probably play better on a better amp than the WA7. My question is if there is a big difference between the WA7 headphone amp and the D100 headphone amp.

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #2,920 of 12,748
  Probably. Not so sure if the headphone amp section of the D100 is much better than the WA7's, though. In my experience, the bulk of the cost of such integrated components goes to anything but the headphone amp. The WA7 is more focused on the headphone amp. No doubt that the D100 would probably play better on a better amp than the WA7. My question is if there is a big difference between the WA7 headphone amp and the D100 headphone amp.

I plan to keep the WA7 and actually use that as my principle headphone amp driven by the fixed outputs on the D100.  My line of reasoning goes that most peoples impression of the WA7 is as a great tube amp but with a mediocre DAC and so the idea is to give it a good DAC to step up the WA7's game.  Second, the D100 serves to replace my HeadRoom Ultra desktop Amp which currently is the amp I hook up my T1s to and use mostly to answer skype calls and on the lazy day where I don't care so much about firing up the WA7 or using the heavier LCD-X for its best in class sound and settle for a lighter pair of still great sounding headphones that I am not so careful handling.  Since that is a solid state amp I just leave it always powered on and so that is a good amp for grabbing the headphones quick if a skype call comes in.  

Essentially the idea here is that the D100 fully replaces the HeadRoom and hopefully I won't feel like that is a downgrade.  Currently the HeadRoom is also what drives my Paradigm MilleniaOne CT desktop powered speakers via it's variable out on back so I don't need to wank around with the crappy Paradigm remote to change the volume, the desktops just use the same volume control i use for my T1s and I already set the Paradigms gain to match the T1.  So the third function of the D100 will be to now drive the Paradigm as well same as the HeadRoom is doing now but of course with a better DAC.  When I don't want to hear the desktops (for example during skype) I just hit the mute button which still lets the headphone amp play.  The D100 has this feature same as the HeadRoom amp has a switch for cutting the variable outs.  The only thing the D100 is missing here is the crossfeed circuit but I think I might start using a SW crossfeed.

Finally the idea is to sell the HeadRoom and in the process be getting better DAC through both of the headphones and the speakers and give myself a better platform for eventually adding in a real amp (McIntosh MC302) and unpowered speakers (Paradigm Millenia 200s) in the future.  Might eventually also hang a WES+Stax off the side.

The D100 is serving as a sort of flagship digital pre-amp centerpiece of anything that will come my way in the future while providing a better experience then I am getting today with the HeadRoom.  The HeadRoom is a nice little amp but I am hopeful the McIntosh shows it the door. I think the HeadRoom amp might have more power though which has me wondering.

Getting the Mac used for $1900.

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #2,921 of 12,748
In that aspect I think it would work very nice, if you didn't really need the variable output then I think something like the Resonessence Labs Concero HD + Woo Audio WA7 would be a wonderful match and keep its compactness.

Feb 6, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #2,923 of 12,748
I considered the D100 for the versatility, but I would feel too much like I was paying a premium for the McIntosh name. $1900 is probably a good deal/fair price on it though. I ended up buying the Fostex HP-A8 for most of the same reasons listed above, but the DAC features on it were attractive (optional upsampling).

At some point in my life, I want a full-size McIntosh tube preamp illuminating my room, but that will have to wait for my income to get a bit higher.

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #2,924 of 12,748
Well, I've just finished reading all 195 pages of this thread, as well as all 48 (only 48?) pages of the XC thread.  Every time I've done that in the past, it's been expensive.  I finally made my decision and ordered the LCD-X, with the black leather pads.  I enjoy my LCD-2.2s, and I'm hoping that the LCD-X will improve on the small things that make the 2s less than ideal for me.  

I noticed while reading this thread that about every 20 pages or so, someone would ask how the pairing was with the LCD-X and the Violectric V-200, but there never was much response.  I'll be using the Xs with my V-200, (and probably trying them with my WA-2 as well) so I'll post my impressions when the new phones arrive, which should be next Monday.  

If they are as good as I've read here, I may have a pair of LCD2.2s for sale.  

I'll have plenty of time for listening, since, for the first time in decades, Lake Superior is almost 100% frozen over--because of that, temperatures have been in the single digits every day here, and well below zero at night, so there's lots of indoor down time.

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #2,925 of 12,748
Hello to all.
To return to the subject Schiit.

I have a LCD-2.2 and I am going to take the X (maybe next week). I have the Lyr and they offered me the Mjolnir at a good price.
I buy it or keep the money to invest (several months) on a WA22 or WA5LE?
In a nutshell, with the X, the change Lyr with Mjolnir worth it or is it better to wait?

Andrea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back