Audeze LCD-X
Feb 4, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #2,896 of 12,748
Yeah, it doesn't really bother me too much anyway because I would plan on getting an after-market cable anyway if (let's be honest - when) I get these :)

They will be mine....oh yes.....they will be mine...

Feb 4, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #2,898 of 12,748
  Yeah, probably just simplifying the process to keep the phones more consistent. Any idea on why they would stop supplying the balanced cables though, other than to be able to cut costs or charge more for them later? I would hope for a price drop to make up for it, but I guess that's wishful thinking :)

No balance cable anymore but the price remains the same ? That's really crap !
It was a big advantage that they deliver the LCD-X with both cables. ****.

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #2,900 of 12,748
No idea why they dropped the balanced cables. Though personally, I wouldn't miss it if I never had to make another balanced cable, if for no other reason than it would eliminate the abomination of a balanced cable with a single ended adapter on it. :D

se

...it if it wasn't so very helpful for some basic experiments while finding an adequate amp for the X, such as the solution using the Hifiman adapter shown here.
My first attempt to connect directly to the MC-30's speaker output by using a K-1000 cable also required a 4 pin balanced jack.
Without this cable I surely wouldn't have found this simple solution so easily.... if at all...

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #2,901 of 12,748
Hi all,

Has anyone tried the WA6-SE with the LCD-X? Would it be a good choice compared to an SS amp in the same range ("around" $1k)? I started a more detailed thread in the amps forum, but wanted to get the opinion of folks with experience with the LCD-X here. My sources are ALAC through a Mac and Marantz NA7004 and the Marantz SA8001 SACD.

Thank you!

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #2,902 of 12,748
Hi all,

Has anyone tried the WA6-SE with the LCD-X? Would it be a good choice compared to an SS amp in the same range ("around" $1k)? I started a more detailed thread in the amps forum, but wanted to get the opinion of folks with experience with the LCD-X here. My sources are ALAC through a Mac and Marantz NA7004 and the Marantz SA8001 SACD.

Thank you!

I'm currently using the LCD-X with WA6SE and I think it's a good match, but not the best, though. I tried many combinations of tubes and one conclusion that I can make is that, regardless of which tubes I use, I still feel that the headphones does not perform at its best with WA6SE. I don't know if it's the qualify of the amp itself or anything, but when I hear Bakoon HPA-21, I know that my WA6Se is lacking. Everything with the Bakoon is better ie soundstage (headstage), bass, high and vocal.

I know that if I play around with tube rolling, I might end up with some combinations that's kinda work, but I don't think doing that would be worth the effort, as I think the headphones itself could be taken to the next level with more appropriate amp (like Bakoon).

But before I pulled the trigger on the Bakoon, I had a chance to listen to a local brand tube amplifier that is based on WA5 design. The manufacturer made several improvements to the design, especially the transformer, which was supplied by one of the best transformer suppliers in the world. The result? Even better than the Bakoon. The amp is retailed here at around 3,300$ (local currency converted to USD), and I'm sure that none of the commercial amplifiers with the price rage up to 6,000 USD can beat it. I will part with my WA6SE very soon to get this one.

Apology if the above is a bit off-topic. IMO, if I were to start from scratch choosing an amp for my LCD-X, I would not pick WA6Se, as I believe other amps at this price range would match it better. That's not to say WA6SE is a bad amp (I love it with my HD650). It's just that (IMO), WA6Se may not be the best match with LCD-X in this price range. Note that you must also take into account what you have to pay to get better tubes, as stock tubes are useless.

That's my opinion but you should at least give WA6Se a listen before making you mind. You might like it, who know.

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #2,903 of 12,748
Thanks for the advice, PrTv. I can't really go over $1,500 on the amp and I'd like to stay closer to $1000. It's going to be used for the LCD-X mostly, so I'd like it to match as well as possible. The HPA-21 and the WA5 are int he $3k range. Maybe some day, but not right now. I will look more into SS amps around $1k, then. Thanks again!

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #2,904 of 12,748
  Thanks for the advice, PrTv. I can't really go over $1,500 on the amp and I'd like to stay closer to $1000. It's going to be used for the LCD-X mostly, so I'd like it to match as well as possible. The HPA-21 and the WA5 are int he $3k range. Maybe some day, but not right now. I will look more into SS amps around $1k, then. Thanks again!

Have you looked at the Burson Soloist? It's a solid state amp that pairs well with the LCD-X from what I've read and retails for $1k, but can often be had here on Head-Fi for around $750-800 used. I also have the Burson Conductor (w/ DAC) and can say it pairs well with my Audeze's (LCD-2's)

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #2,905 of 12,748

Have you looked at the Burson Soloist? It's a solid state amp that pairs well with the LCD-X from what I've read and retails for $1k, but can often be had here on Head-Fi for around $750-800 used. I also have the Burson Conductor (w/ DAC) and can say it pairs well with my Audeze's (LCD-2's)

Ha. That's very funny. I just posted that I'm looking into the Soloist here.

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #2,906 of 12,748
Ok, nevermind then, seems like your on the right track :)

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #2,907 of 12,748
Also, don't know if you need or already have a DAC but if not, you may want to consider the Conductor as well, that one retails for $1850, but I was able to pick mine up for under $1200 used if your willing to do a little digging to find some deals.

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #2,908 of 12,748
I have an Apoggee duet and a central station, which I believe are kind of run of the mill DACs, but not bad at all. For the new rig in building, I got a Marantz NA7004, which I believe is worth a try at $399. It also comes with a headphone amp section, but I'm not too optimistic on that. My LCD-X just shipped from Woo, so we shall see. Thank you!

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #2,909 of 12,748

So Peter, do you think the mids are slightly recessed on the Xs?

Less meaty doesn't mean recessed. Just not as lush. Actually the upper mids are slightly more recessed on the 3s. 
smile.gif

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #2,910 of 12,748

Ha. That's very funny. I just posted that I'm looking into the Soloist here.

I use the X's with the WA6SE with very good results, just use a DAC/source with a bit more "life", I'm using the Benchmark DAC-2 HGC...nice combo IMHO.  I would think twice about the Burson Soloist, I had it and sold it...lifeless and flat, too smooth and laid back and the volume detents troubled me, never could find the exact right gain.  I've been VERY happy with  Little Dot MK IVSE, good price and very spacious soundstage with a extraordinary tonal quality.  Some may nay say this sleeper but deserves a listen at the price.  Oh yes, plenty of power to drive anything and you can roll your own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back