Audeze LCD-X
Nov 23, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #1,471 of 12,748
  A newbie jumping right into one of the best headphones on earth? I like your style, bro 
beerchug.gif

why do guerrilla warfare when you can drop the atomic bomb?  Good for you, go straight for the big Cajuna!!!

Nov 24, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #1,472 of 12,748
On Black Friday (this week, 11/29) I will open sign-ups to demo the Audeze LCD-X and Audeze LCD-XC with no charge or deposit required. Each demo will be limited to 12 participants, and you can only sign up for one of them. Due to the value of the headphones I will reserve the right to be selective about which members can participate, and they must be in the United States. Instructions will be posted at midnight (EST) on 11/29 in the first post of this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/645941/headamp-headphone-demos-audeze-lcd-x-and-lcd-xc-sign-up-on-black-friday

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Nov 24, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #1,475 of 12,748
Haven't heard the LCD-X yet, but the LCD-3 can be very enjoyable with classical music. While very amp dependent, those lush mids can make stringed instruments sound great. And while the sound signature is very different from, say, the HD800's, the LCD-3 treble is not lacking. I have both of these phones and listen almost exclusively to classical. They are a great complement to one another.

That said, if you are looking for 1 set of phones to do it all, and you listen to a lot of classical, the HD800 and LCD-X should probably be auditioned prior to the LCD-3. If, however, you already have HD800's, then the LCD-3's are worth a listen, as they may just be different enough to offer a very enjoyable alternative soundscape.

I have both the LCD-3 and HD800 as well and I agree fully with this. I enjoy classical a great deal with the 3s as they have a fantastic seductive and emotional quality to the timbre of the instruments the HD800 can't match IMO. Some classical work better than others. For large orchestral pieces I give it to the HD800 but the LCD-3 is not such a slouch I heard repeated many times.

Nov 24, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #1,477 of 12,748

I have both the LCD-3 and HD800 as well and I agree fully with this. I enjoy classical a great deal with the 3s as they have a fantastic seductive and emotional quality to the timbre of the instruments the HD800 can't match IMO. Some classical work better than others. For large orchestral pieces I give it to the HD800 but the LCD-3 is not such a slouch I heard repeated many times.

On some songs that is true for LCD-3 as cellos and instruments with body that reside on the lower part of the frequency range tend to have a more emotional timbre. However, overall still enjoyed HD800 more on classical.

LCD-X is very interesting as it has part of that emotional timbre, and parts from HD800 while adding incredible treble, so there are parts of the songs or entire songs that I enjoy more on LCD-X.

I think that If I were to be forced to choose just only headphone between the 3, I would go with the X as it is excels in all genres. 

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #1,478 of 12,748

Don't know about the LCD-3s, but the LCD-2s with classical sound muffled, beefy, and just too dark.  Orchestral tuttis are muddled and instrument separation really lacking.  I love the LCD-2s with everything else because they are so seductive and non-fatiguing, but not my cup of tea with Classical.

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #1,479 of 12,748
  Don't know about the LCD-3s, but the LCD-2s with classical sound muffled, beefy, and just too dark.  Orchestral tuttis are muddled and instrument separation really lacking.  I love the LCD-2s with everything else because they are so seductive and non-fatiguing, but not my cup of tea with Classical.

I have yet to hear any Audeze product but have been interested for a while (and more so lately with the annoucement of the new models).  Between having tubes in my main listening system and reading a lot about the LCD-2's I decided they weren't for me because I figured they wouldn't be great on classical music (even though I listen to many other types of music as well).

I am hoping to try either the LCD-X or XC very soon because it seems that they might be more suited to a wider range of music genres.

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #1,480 of 12,748
  I have yet to hear any Audeze product but have been interested for a while (and more so lately with the annoucement of the new models).  Between having tubes in my main listening system and reading a lot about the LCD-2's I decided they weren't for me because I figured they wouldn't be great on classical music (even though I listen to many other types of music as well).

I am hoping to try either the LCD-X or XC very soon because it seems that they might be more suited to a wider range of music genres.

I just ordered the Ultrasones Ed. 12 (yes, I know...I must be nuts, but curiosity was killing me).  The next two headphones in line are the X and XC.  The Ultrasones will be in house tomorrow...and I'm a little bit scared, to say the least.

Nov 24, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #1,481 of 12,748
Could anyone who has heard the Audeze LCD-X and beyerdynamic T1 please share some thoughts about the strengths/weaknesses and similarities between these two headphones? Thanks!

Nov 24, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #1,484 of 12,748
  Oh yes!!! LCD-X vs HE-6 should be fun.  Haven't heard LCD-X yet, but I'm betting that it will trump the HE-6.

Beware of what you say man as preproman will hunt you down :))

Nov 24, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #1,485 of 12,748

I think that If I were to be forced to choose just only headphone between the 3, I would go with the X as it is excels in all genres. 

This is helpful to hear and seems to align with what others have been saying, the idea that the X excels at all genres.  I auditioned a pair of LCD-2s some months ago, and have been waiting for the X models before making a final decision. Plan to hear the LCD-X in a couple weeks. Unlike a lot of you guys, I'll be luck to be able to go with just one 'summit fi' quality phone, (although I don't listen to classical music.)  Have to say, reading through all these reviews and such has been very useful. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back