Audeze LCD-X
May 2, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #6,453 of 12,748
  Any more impressions with the Violectric V281? Was considering picking up a V220.

V281 still remains one of the best headphones amplifiers available on the market today, also compared to more expensive competitors: it's a perfect blend of power and softness at same time, great bass slam but never nervous and invasive during listening sessions: let's say is an SS amp going into the tubes family direction, never too bright; With X is a perfect match, giving them that touch of smooth needed.
V220 is exactly a V281 splitted into 2 pieces, sharing the same timbre, acoustics and tech project of his balanced brother.
If you are thinking to go for an SS unbalanced solution there is nothing to think about: go for V220 that is a true endgame masterpiece from Lake People, you can be sure on this...
wink_face.gif

May 2, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #6,454 of 12,748

p.s.heard lot of people here on head-fi reporting that there is no match between 3 and X aka "3 wins hands down all the way": IMHO this is totally out of this world....
As usual the best judge are our ears...

I never could get into the 2's or 3's. The X's I really enjoy. Different strokes as they say. Glad the LCD-X's are in my collection.

May 2, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #6,455 of 12,748
  I never could get into the 2's or 3's. The X's I really enjoy. Different strokes as they say. Glad the LCD-X's are in my collection.

Eric, next week, finally... (fingers crossed) will land here 430HA: how's working the beast with X?

May 2, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #6,456 of 12,748

Eric, next week, finally... (fingers crossed) will land here 430HA: how's working the beast with X?

Alec, I love the 430HA with the LCD-X's using the 4 pin balanced cable. Great synergy. Remember that the 430HA does need a good 300 hour burn in. The character will evolve over the first 150 hours fairly dramatically. It is interesting to experience. I would advise not making any sound quality judgements until then. Still great out of the box though.

May 2, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #6,457 of 12,748
  Alec, I love the 430HA with the LCD-X's using the 4 pin balanced cable. Great synergy. Remember that the 430HA does need a good 300 hour burn in. The character will evolve over the first 150 hours fairly dramatically. It is interesting to experience. I would advise not making any sound quality judgements until then. Still great out of the box though.

Agree: same here with 280D DSD DAC (waiting to be coupled with 430HA) now I'm around 200 hours and music is becoming airy and detailed like never before: hands down, as usual, with Moon Audio products....
tongue_smile.gif

May 2, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #6,458 of 12,748

I am a big system person.  My foray into the headphone world came as a result of the HUGO, which I purchased for a second system in my vacation home so that I could use it both portably when traveling there as well as when I went to my second home into the system I had there.  I figured I would use it with my IE800.

First, I was literally blown away by the HUGO.  Then I did some research as to big headphones and started my quest.  My main system is an incredibly neutral and revealing system comprising Nola Concert Grand Gold speakers, MSB Diamond Plus, ARC REF10, ARC GS150 and Valhalla V.2 cables.  

That was my reference for which I judged my headphone search.  My speakers are ribbons so that is something one must consider in my comments.  When I tried the HD800, I could understand why many love these headphones, however, I did not find them a good fit with the HUGO but could see myself owning them with a different amp.  I purchased TH900 based on others experience and while I really liked them, they fell short of "my reference".  I tried the new Mac headphones, with and without their new head amp, and understand why many might like these.  Tremendous isolation, very dynamic and neutral, but still nowhere near my reference.

Which leads me to the LCD-3F v LCD-X comparison.  I had both here for extended trials.  I was TOLD you WILL like the 3F better.  I was expecting that to be the case as my sources I trusted.  Well lo and behold, comparing the two, for me, was an illuminating experience.  Yes the 3F are wonderful, what I would call a more open experience of the TH900, more similar than different.  However, the X absolutely blew me away.  Truly and amazing combination with the HUGO.  Obviously, my "preference" can be extrapolated from my main system which I have poured much of my savings into but after listening to the X, I can say, I don't feel I am missing much on this system that is a fraction of the price of my main rig.  

One last point.  Someone pointed me to the Arnie Nudell review of the X after I purchased my LCD-X (and sold my TH900).  For those of you who don't know him, he is one of the pioneers of speaker design and was responsible for the stunning IRS Infinity V, to this day, still a fantastic speaker that many use as their reference despite showing their 30+ year age.  He too freaked out over the LCD-X and I totally understand it based on his preference for speakers as my main rig is a very similar design to what he prefers that Carl Marchisotto, former designer of the Dahlquist speakers, now constructs in the Nola Grand line.

The point is that as many have pointed to, there is preference, no right or wrong answer but if you find a big (or small) reference system that blows you away and find a headamp/can combo that comes close it is a guarantee you will find headphone bliss. 

May 2, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #6,459 of 12,748

I am a big system person.  My foray into the headphone world came as a result of the HUGO, which I purchased for a second system in my vacation home so that I could use it both portably when traveling there as well as when I went to my second home into the system I had there.  I figured I would use it with my IE800.

First, I was literally blown away by the HUGO.  Then I did some research as to big headphones and started my quest.  My main system is an incredibly neutral and revealing system comprising Nola Concert Grand Gold speakers, MSB Diamond Plus, ARC REF10, ARC GS150 and Valhalla V.2 cables.  

That was my reference for which I judged my headphone search.  My speakers are ribbons so that is something one must consider in my comments.  When I tried the HD800, I could understand why many love these headphones, however, I did not find them a good fit with the HUGO but could see myself owning them with a different amp.  I purchased TH900 based on others experience and while I really liked them, they fell short of "my reference".  I tried the new Mac headphones, with and without their new head amp, and understand why many might like these.  Tremendous isolation, very dynamic and neutral, but still nowhere near my reference.

Which leads me to the LCD-3F v LCD-X comparison.  I had both here for extended trials.  I was TOLD you WILL like the 3F better.  I was expecting that to be the case as my sources I trusted.  Well lo and behold, comparing the two, for me, was an illuminating experience.  Yes the 3F are wonderful, what I would call a more open experience of the TH900, more similar than different.  However, the X absolutely blew me away.  Truly and amazing combination with the HUGO.  Obviously, my "preference" can be extrapolated from my main system which I have poured much of my savings into but after listening to the X, I can say, I don't feel I am missing much on this system that is a fraction of the price of my main rig.  

One last point.  Someone pointed me to the Arnie Nudell review of the X after I purchased my LCD-X (and sold my TH900).  For those of you who don't know him, he is one of the pioneers of speaker design and was responsible for the stunning IRS Infinity V, to this day, still a fantastic speaker that many use as their reference despite showing their 30+ year age.  He too freaked out over the LCD-X and I totally understand it based on his preference for speakers as my main rig is a very similar design to what he prefers that Carl Marchisotto, former designer of the Dahlquist speakers, now constructs in the Nola Grand line.

The point is that as many have pointed to, there is preference, no right or wrong answer but if you find a big (or small) reference system that blows you away and find a headamp/can combo that comes close it is a guarantee you will find headphone bliss. 

I love your comments! Considering your reference 2 channel system I can completely understand your enjoyment of both the HD800's and the LCD-X's. Each provides the reference sound for audiophiles who enjoy soundstage and depth. Given your ARC gear (I love ARC with Vandersteen) I would expect your reaction to favor those cans. A few of my friends have told me that the X is more HD800 like and I should get the 3's for variety. No thanks. The X's have their own character yet offer the open staging I require. That is why we have this hobby. To find our own combo that make it happen for us.

BTW, I assume you are loving the new GS150.....

beerchug.gif

May 2, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #6,460 of 12,748
I think it all boils down to user preference.
If I can only have 1 headphone, I think I'll still have the LCD-X with me and won't be in the market for an LCD-3 to complement my HD800.
The X still has the Audeze's house sound but with neutrality, transperancy and yet still sound fun and musical.

Do you feel X is the most analytical of Audeze headphones? I know it's a bit strange question as all the Audeze headphones are very musical, but relatively, by comparison, could one say that?

May 2, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #6,461 of 12,748
  I love your comments! Considering your reference 2 channel system I can completely understand your enjoyment of both the HD800's and the LCD-X's. Each provides the reference sound for audiophiles who enjoy soundstage and depth. Given your ARC gear (I love ARC with Vandersteen) I would expect your reaction to favor those cans. A few of my friends have told me that the X is more HD800 like and I should get the 3's for variety. No thanks. The X's have their own character yet offer the open staging I require. That is why we have this hobby. To find our own combo that make it happen for us.

BTW, I assume you are loving the new GS150.....

beerchug.gif

I was one of the first to get the GS150.  I was "given it" to break in for my dealer friend, never thinking it would best my REF75+KT150 as this latter combination was what Carl felt mated best with the Concert Grands.  Needless to say, I was blown away, posted some comments which I took some crap for because everyone just thought this was nothing more than a REF150 with KT150 which I was telling everyone it was NOT.  ARC did themselves no favor in how they released the thing not wanting to step on the toes of those who purchased "reference series" lines so there was quite a "fight" going on until some reviewers verified my findings.  The GS150 is the BEST ARC product I have ever owned.  After one day of listening, I informed my dealer to sell my REF75 and get himself a new GS demo.  

Every once in awhile you find a product that is so great and some of the greatness comes because you just don't expect it.  That is how I felt about the GS150, the new QUAD USB input upgrade for the MSB DAC (that is soon to be upgraded from a IV to a V), the Lightspeed USB cable, HUGO and LCD-X.  As to a can system, I am really taken aback by the HUGO/LCD-X.  For me I wasn't expecting, based on what I was told, to like the LCD-X more than the 3F.  Similarly given everyone's recommendation of having both a closed and open can, I was never expecting to get rid of my TH900.  Well, the LCD-X/HUGO is just so awesome, for me at least, that I found myself literally never wanting to use the TH900.  They were just sitting gathering dust so I sold them. 

May 2, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #6,462 of 12,748
The Lightspeed 10G is amazing.....Best cable I have

May 2, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #6,464 of 12,748
I'm still waiting for my Geek Pulse XFI Infinity to power my LCD-X. Those that tested said the it's a good combo with the X

The Infinity is great with the X's via Balanced

Users who are viewing this thread

Back