Audeze LCD X vs Sennheiser HD58x (I prefer the Senn how could it be?!)
Jun 7, 2019 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

superfrognyc

100+ Head-Fier
I have both headphones but after a few weeks of ownership I gravitating more toward the Senn for my daily listening, don't get me wrong the Audeze LCD X is a killer headphone with overall incredible sound, but it is also a little fatiguing for lack of better word (the fact the LCD-X is very heavy doesn't help), whereas the Senn is more mellow and allow me to listen to music for a longer period of time especially with badly recorded historical classical music.

Could it be that as I'm getting older (45 years old) I crave for more mellow headphones?

Cavalli Liquid Carbon + Topping D50

IMG_5890.jpeg

Jun 8, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 9
i did enjoy my 650 more than the X but for me, the X was like using a lightning gun in Quake. it just guns down everything with precision and speed.

650 was more of like a rocket lol

Jun 8, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #3 of 9
It's the best headphone I have ever heard.

The precision and clarity and tonal balance of the centre mids to upper mids puts my HD800S to shame. The best I ever heard period.

Cymbals and Hi hats are almost on par with the HD800S. Although my LCD2 still renders these elements the best in my collection.

My LCD2 and HD650 has clearer and more spacious bottom mids and upper bass. My LCD2 being the best bottom end of any headphone I have heard.

If I could merge the HD58X top half with my LCD2 bottom half of the FR, I think my perfect headphone has arrived. But I ain't holding my breath.

The HD58X is the best headphone in my world because of its overall package.

Jun 8, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 9
i did enjoy my 650 more than the X but for me, the X was like using a lightning gun in Quake. it just guns down everything with precision and speed.

650 was more of like a rocket lol

Your lightning gun analogy is dead on! To my ear the LCD-X delivers too much information, I'm ready to move so I just ordered the Senn 660s and I will try a close pair of headphone maybe the last version of the MrSpeakers ETHER C Flow...

Jun 8, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 9
It's the best headphone I have ever heard.

The precision and clarity and tonal balance of the centre mids to upper mids puts my HD800S to shame. The best I ever heard period.

Cymbals and Hi hats are almost on par with the HD800S. Although my LCD2 still renders these elements the best in my collection.

My LCD2 and HD650 has clearer and more spacious bottom mids and upper bass. My LCD2 being the best bottom end of any headphone I have heard.

If I could merge the HD58X top half with my LCD2 bottom half of the FR, I think my perfect headphone has arrived. But I ain't holding my breath.

The HD58X is the best headphone in my world because of its overall package.

I had the LCD2-C for a week with the LCD-X so I had a chance to compare them in detail and it was clear that the LCD-X is much better headphone, the LCD2-C is more relaxing and warm (not to mention way lighter!) but the LCD-X is in another league in term of detail and transparency.
So by choosing "the best" headphone the LCD-X I have made a mistake, the LCD2-C might be closer to want I really need.

I just ordered a pair of Senn 660s I like the comfort of the 58x so maybe the superior 660s will bring additional musical joy to the 58x.

Have you tried any closed back headphone?

Jun 8, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 9
I have never heard a closed back headphone that didn't somehow destroy the mids.

You could spend more money to try chase the unattainable perfection, but I have found that price never equals performance.

For example, the Koss Portapros and Sennheiser PX100 have areas in the midrange so good, that it could never be matched by any cupped headphone at any price...for the simple reason that they have no ear cups.

Back to closed headphones, I will probably wait until they can solve the sound delay/latency issues with Bluetooth wireless audio before I give it another crack. Watching a presentation with a half second delay in sound is ridiculously ... Just should not happen in the 21st century.

I am however curious with the new Neumann closed studio headphone. My Neumann studio monitors are an amazing package. A pair of speakers I hold quite dear.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #7 of 9
I think it’s to do with dynamics vs planar. Even if two cans share identical designs and frequency responses, they will sound completely unlike each other if the drivers are dynamic and planar.
Dynamics are inheritantly more ‘noisy’ but we really don’t hear it as noise but more like ‘extra punch’ to the sound.
Also why so many folks are completely underwhelmed by planars and estats; they expect an upgrade over the dynamics they’ve heard and instead get a noise-free musical universe that doesn’t force detail and sound into their noggins. Nope they get what feels like a laidback and unfussy representation of music they’ve been listening to through dynamic drivers for two or three decades.
Maybe not that weird that some prefer an hd58X to the LCD-X. Having owned the former I can wholly sympathise with such an opinion. I know a guy who bought Stax and ended up favouring his old K701, because he felt the AKG simply trumped the estat in all and everything from design to comfort and most especially sound.

Jun 8, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #8 of 9
I have never heard a closed back headphone that didn't somehow destroy the mids.

You could spend more money to try chase the unattainable perfection, but I have found that price never equals performance.

For example, the Koss Portapros and Sennheiser PX100 have areas in the midrange so good, that it could never be matched by any cupped headphone at any price...for the simple reason that they have no ear cups.

Back to closed headphones, I will probably wait until they can solve the sound delay/latency issues with Bluetooth wireless audio before I give it another crack. Watching a presentation with a half second delay in sound is ridiculously ... Just should not happen in the 21st century.

I am however curious with the new Neumann closed studio headphone. My Neumann studio monitors are an amazing package. A pair of speakers I hold quite dear.

Is that the one Z Reviews reviewed very positively?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back