Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Nov 4, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #1,291 of 4,804
I was told by Audeze, that was the reason why they developed a new cipher cable for the i4. Something that could drive the i4 better from an iOS device.

I knew this was in development when I talked to Sankar, but I didn't realize that they released it. Thanks for the confirmation! :)

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #1,292 of 4,804
So if no iphone then no cipher cable correct? The i4 out of the Hugo2 sound incredible but would sure be interesting to hear this EQ stuff for myself. But if not possible not a big deal.

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #1,293 of 4,804
So if no iphone then no cipher cable correct? The i4 out of the Hugo2 sound incredible but would sure be interesting to hear this EQ stuff for myself. But if not possible not a big deal.

Correct, the Cipher uses the Apple Lightning cable termination. That said, the iSine 20 still sound better out of my Hugo 2 than with the Cipher. BUT, the Cipher is certainly way more portable. :wink:

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #1,294 of 4,804

Correct, the chipper cable is only for Apple iPhone/iPod/iPad.
But if you use the Hugo with a computer you can use the Audeze plugin to get the same result.

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #1,295 of 4,804
I knew this was in development when I talked to Sankar, but I didn't realize that they released it. Thanks for the confirmation! :)

Cool. I think they are going to be announcing it soon.

Nov 4, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #1,296 of 4,804
How do the i4 & wa8 combo sounds in comparison to your portable setup. wm1z & tia.
I am using i4 with hugo 2 from 3.5mm port. ( factory cable) .....thinking of getting a balanced for my kann... ea lionheart... any recommendation.

Thanks for confirming re the 3.5mm. I am still deciding on a cable upgrade but will get 3.5SE as I only intend on using the i4 with the WA8 or maybe a H2 down the line. The tia Fourte is my go to for the 1z - which I only use when portable now. Sound wise I slightly prefer the WA8 (with Curious USB cable) with i4, over the Fourte with 1z balanced. If I could only pick one however it would be the 1z/Fourte, as the sound is very closed and immensely entertaining enjoyable plus it is a truly portable solution.

Nov 5, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #1,297 of 4,804
Please please don't audition those i4 with a Hugo2. Your wallet is in perilous danger! And you already started down the slippery slope as it is. There may be no saving grace for the wallet. Sorry. =)

So, about that audition with the Hugo 2. I’m not going to say you were right, but......

D44B3FA4-FCA6-4FB9-8826-7374B5ACB7AE.jpeg

You’re disgusting for making such a suggestion to someone so weak and feeble. Shame on you.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #1,298 of 4,804
So, about that audition with the Hugo 2. I’m not going to say you were right, but......

You’re disgusting for making such a suggestion to someone so weak and feeble. Shame on you.
Some people's kids... Oh well you were warned. Anyway you are going to have unlimited time spent in audio bliss certainly. I am enjoying my setup immensely. For the money it seems really hard to beat this Hugo2 with the i4. Or any other great IEM for that matter. =)

Nov 5, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #1,299 of 4,804
I don’t see portable’ish setups getting close to this thing for a number of years. While I was really hoping to go for the wm1z for a portable solution. Bangkok had me and this was the result of my drunk shopping.

Nov 5, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #1,301 of 4,804
So, I really wanted to have a solution for listening to Tidal on my iPhone through the Hugo2 with EQ. It'd be nice if Tidal would implement EQ or if Apple would add the ability to use audio units on iOS.

CapTune allows EQ for Tidal on mobile phones. The only problem is that it's UI is somewhat lacking. Below is what I created as a first pass for equalizing the i4. I used KMann's curves as a template, but there's no way to get enough nodes above 1k to do all that he did. The other problem is that the program gives you no way to know the magnitude of the changes you're making. I have no idea if the dips below are 3dB or 10db. For scale, the screenshot was taken on an iPhone 7+.

Something to watch out for: almost everytime I unplug my headphone and plug them back in, CapTune will revert to the 'Flat' eq setting.

Hopefully someone will find this useful.

upload_2017-11-5_18-42-46.png

Nov 5, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #1,302 of 4,804
@KMann,

I'm wondering if a cipher-like device is possible that only does convolution and/or eq processing before passing the signal on to the Hugo? It would be great to have system-wide EQ of the i4's in combination with the Hugo. :)

Nov 5, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #1,303 of 4,804
So, I really wanted to have a solution for listening to Tidal on my iPhone through the Hugo2 with EQ. It'd be nice if Tidal would implement EQ or if Apple would add the ability to use audio units on iOS.

CapTune allows EQ for Tidal on mobile phones. The only problem is that it's UI is somewhat lacking. Below is what I created as a first pass for equalizing the i4. I used KMann's curves as a template, but there's no way to get enough nodes above 1k to do all that he did. The other problem is that the program gives you no way to know the magnitude of the changes you're making. I have no idea if the dips below are 3dB or 10db. For scale, the screenshot was taken on an iPhone 7+.

Something to watch out for: almost everytime I unplug my headphone and plug them back in, CapTune will revert to the 'Flat' eq setting.

Hopefully someone will find this useful.

Wow, what the hell that EQ, too much brutal

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #1,304 of 4,804
@KMann,

I'm wondering if a cipher-like device is possible that only does convolution and/or eq processing before passing the signal on to the Hugo? It would be great to have system-wide EQ of the i4's in combination with the Hugo. :)

That would be sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back