Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Jan 3, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #6,664 of 6,820
Audeze customer support are usually responsive. I’d be interested whether they were user replaceable and how serviceable for the consumer the adhesive used is.

Jan 3, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #6,665 of 6,820
Jan 4, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #6,667 of 6,820
What did you use to initially remove the pads and then the adhesive? Also does Audeze sell OEM pads for the LCD-5? I couldn't seem to find them
Did you check the accessories page on their website?

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:05 AM Post #6,670 of 6,820
What did you use to initially remove the pads and then the adhesive? Also does Audeze sell OEM pads for the LCD-5? I couldn't seem to find them

The ring of tape is peeled away with fingers with force. Just imagine peeling strong tape off something but with the pad in the way. Nothing really to it. Any remnants of tape leftovers just rolls off with finger.

I just emailed them and they send an invoice for payment.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #6,671 of 6,820
The ring of tape is peeled away with fingers with force. Just imagine peeling strong tape off something but with the pad in the way. Nothing really to it. Any remnants of tape leftovers just rolls off with finger.

I just emailed them and they send an invoice for payment.
That's easier than I thought. And you just rubbed away the rest of the adhesive?

Jan 4, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #6,672 of 6,820
That's easier than I thought. And you just rubbed away the rest of the adhesive?

Correct. Barely any, like a couple specks. Most all remained on the ring side of the pad.
To be extra clear, there is no glue that touches the driver plate housing. Glue is only used to attach the felt to the pad, then the ring of 3M tape that is on the felt is what adheres to the plastic driver plate.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #6,673 of 6,820
Would be great if you could elaborate a little more on the HPA4 and the Luxman for the LCD-5. I am particularly interested in these and the Violectric V550. Latter because I tried the V340 and liked it, except that it does not have balanced inputs, but the V550 has.. I am using an R2R DAC (Gustard R26).

1) I mainly listen to classical music and like a great holographic soundscape. I know the LCD-5 have not the largest sound stage, but being part of the Orchester is also a great experience. I prefer that over being far away from the music. With the V340 I already experienced that holographic sound, that the music is in my room and not in my headphones, depending on the piece of music of course. However, I feel that the sound stage and depth could be a little bit larger. I would like to be enclosed by the music. I would hope to (but don't know if) get it from the V550 and would be fine. From what I heard about the Luxman, it could provide exactly what I want. But I really don't prefer its huge form factor so much and I have to deal with AC transformers that could maybe influence the sound...

2) Could you try to describe a little bit more the differences in imaging and sound stage of the HPA4 vs. Luxman? Grandiose perception of space could also translate in good imaging/pinpointing. But I suppose there is a difference.

3) Also, from what I heard about the HPA4, all these characteristics sound a little bit like a soul-less Topping devices. And that it is a great studio monitoring tool. But then I read that the HPA4 is also musical.. How does it fit together? I could imagine that hearing all the details so clearly every time reduces bare enjoyment of music and improves fatigue. Is that true?
Hi :)
I recently had the opportunity to listen to Lake People products at an audio fair, at the Meze booth (so, not with a LCD5, but with my test tracks via Tidal). In particular, the Niimbus US5 (with a Gold Note DAC) and the DHA 380. I found them to be excellent machines both in terms of sound and construction, the former technically superior (and given the price...) and neutral and linear, if I must say similar to the Benchmark. The latter had a more "easy" sound, a touch more body and warmth, softer in definition, perhaps limited by the internal DAC. If the 550 is somewhere in between, it could be a great solution.

1) Yes, I find that the LCD5 is truly excellent in rendering "environmental spaces", the ambience with its reflections. Honestly, with equipment at its level, I think its soundstage is also adequate in terms of size

2) It's very simple in reality, by enlarging the space painted by the soundstage, it also enlarges the perceived dimension of the sound source. In practice the Luxman magnifies the three spatial dimensions but the directionality and layering is also vaguer and less point-like. I'm obviously exaggerating to be clear. It depends on the musical genre, but overall the great sonic openness of the Luxman is remarkable. Yes, it's big. Big and heavy, you can consider it a 45x45 cm square, if you include the knobs... absolutely not desktop-like.

3) There is a major conceptual error about HPA4, namely its supposed aseptical nature. It's actually the perfect wire-with-gain amplifier. If the source and recordings are poor... well the result is crap :)
If they are excellent, the result is remarkable. For example, the latest Peter Gabriel via Auralic Vega G1 is a mind blowing listen.
Now, obviously it is full of poor recordings, this is why I myself have a two amplifier solution, one of which is more "permissive" and friendly like the Luxman, which even with non-optimal incoming signals, puts its own personality into it... a "sound doctor", let's say :D
So the Benchmark can be fabulous or boring depending on the circumstances (I would never couple it with Hifiman anyway, notoriously hot in the treble range...), its volume control with 256 steps / 4 channels for hps and speakers is crazy tho, perfect even for IEM.
I don't know if Topping amps are boring even with quality sources and recordings, and are bottlenecks themselves: there must be a reason new ones come out every month.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #6,674 of 6,820
Jan 6, 2024 at 12:31 AM Post #6,675 of 6,820

Users who are viewing this thread

Back