Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Jan 3, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #6,211 of 6,820
I liked them on acoustic stuff but I didn’t care for them on hard rock and metal. Hoping lcd 5 is good for that for me.
I think it is. The LCD-5 is great at accurately presenting percussion and fast paced music.

Jan 5, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #6,214 of 6,820
was wondering if you ever got the answer to this question?

There would be no right answer. A speaker set up that cost $5K may sound (extremely) different when you use them at different places with different sound treatment. Don't even need to mention small technicalities differences, because even the sound character may varies between type of rooms.

Jan 5, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #6,215 of 6,820
was wondering if you ever got the answer to this question?

Nah I don’t think there really is one. Just choose whatever is better for your use case. For me, LCD-5 was better because I prefer my listening to be a private/personal experience and I no longer live alone.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #6,216 of 6,820
I think it's a fantastic pairing. Sounds remarkably close to my Chord M Scaler/Hugo TT 2 rig.

Have been using the Hugo 2 with the LCD-5 for a while now... big fan of this pairing; it's so clean while not being harsh at all. I could maybe push the driver more with a powerful amp as I sense there's more slam to be found (but maybe that's just the "not being harsh at all" side of this amp)... to be continued in the future.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #6,217 of 6,820
Since their release, I am still loving these headphones! Springsteen hasn't sounded better this afternoon than with these babies played through my Chord DAVE / Enleum AMP-23R + Roon (with the LCD-5 preset) and Tidal. Just loving what I'm hearing! Definitely in my top 5 for sure!

Jan 9, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #6,218 of 6,820
Have been using the Hugo 2 with the LCD-5 for a while now... big fan of this pairing; it's so clean while not being harsh at all. I could maybe push the driver more with a powerful amp as I sense there's more slam to be found (but maybe that's just the "not being harsh at all" side of this amp)... to be continued in the future.
There is definitely more slam that can be found. The Hugo2 whilst adequate isn't known for a strong amp section. The Pace, rhythm, impact etc... are superior on a desktop amp (in my case the Naim Uniti Atom). Part of me misses the TT2.

The Hugo2 makes for a more relaxed detail listen. I'm enjoying it right now paired to the LCD-5 with the stock cable, which as far as stock cables go is actually very good.

Jan 9, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #6,219 of 6,820
There is definitely more slam that can be found. The Hugo2 whilst adequate isn't known for a strong amp section. The Pace, rhythm, impact etc... are superior on a desktop amp (in my case the Naim Uniti Atom). Part of me misses the TT2.

The Hugo2 makes for a more relaxed detail listen. I'm enjoying it right now paired to the LCD-5 with the stock cable, which as far as stock cables go is actually very good.

Ya this seems to be the consensus however, to start out, it is one of the better pairings for LCD-5 if you’re just looking for something clean and capable of driving the lower impedance load of the LCD-5.

For me, it also serves as a clean slate to build a great setup as I can add a better amp later and still enjoy the benefits of chord’s DAC. Its transportability is also a huge asset as I don’t need to keep it at my desk.

I’m hoping to try it with the Bryston BHA-1 in the near future and would like to try it on some speaker amps too. But I’m in no rush as they are well-loved off of the Hugo 2 alone! :)

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #6,220 of 6,820

For ss option, Burson GT and Formula S do have great synergy to add some air and deliver solid impact. Ferrum stack also nice, but a bit "too much of good thing" for me (especially in midrange area).

Jan 9, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #6,221 of 6,820
For ss option, Burson GT and Formula S do have great synergy to add some air and deliver solid impact. Ferrum stack also nice, but a bit "too much of good thing" for me (especially in midrange area).
Can second the Burson GT. When paired with an R2R DAC, it's simply magic.

Jan 9, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #6,222 of 6,820
V550 Pro is another outstanding pairing

Jan 20, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #6,223 of 6,820
Any LCD-5 owners have comfort issues with the thin area of the pads that actually come into contact with your head? I'm hoping this will break in as it's currently the only thing affecting otherwise sublime listening experiences.

Jan 20, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #6,224 of 6,820
Any LCD-5 owners have comfort issues with the thin area of the pads that actually come into contact with your head? I'm hoping this will break in as it's currently the only thing affecting otherwise sublime listening experiences.
My pads started to soften up after about 50 hours. Now, they are extremely soft and form very well to my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back