Audeze LCD-4
Apr 17, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #11,146 of 12,031
I wonder how the LCD-4 would be reviewed if it were released today though. I think it need to be priced around 4k to make it worth their time. I’m afraid the reviewers would focus too much comparing the technicals and detail retrieval against the current crop of TOTL planars. I’m not sure how it would fare in that comparison (just in terms of detail I mean). I also wonder if the LCD-5 was in part a response to that race to highest detail.
I recently watched a video where someone visited their HQ and they confirmed that they were trying to make the thinnest possible diaphragm so that they get the most speed and detail. They also confirmed they were aiming for more neutrality just like the LCD 5 which is a real shame as I do not believe we will ever get the typical Audeze house sound with their future releases/flagships.

Apr 18, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #11,147 of 12,031
General question: which tube or non-analytical ss amp have you personally used and can recommend for under 3k that would suit the LCD-4? Currently using a phonitor xe and am not overly enthusiastic. Thanks!

Apr 18, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #11,148 of 12,031
Schiit Asgard or a Burson amp. I have used both to drive my LCD4. Currently using the Schiit Folkvangr which sounds beautiful.

Apr 18, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #11,149 of 12,031
I love tubes but I don’t think they are a good pairing with the LCD-4. My own experience is that they sound punchier and more dynamic with a powerful SS. Ferrum Oor really brings out the best in them in my opinion.

Apr 18, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #11,150 of 12,031
General question: which tube or non-analytical ss amp have you personally used and can recommend for under 3k that would suit the LCD-4? Currently using a phonitor xe and am not overly enthusiastic. Thanks!
I really like it with the GSX Mini.

I've heard great things about pairing it with tubes, but it sounds like you'd want a powerful, transformer-coupled tube amp. Though the folkvanger mentioned above is an OTL...so I guess if it has enough power... I have a Tor Roger, which has an output transformer, but it isn't powerful enough.

Apr 18, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #11,151 of 12,031
Yo
You could look to a good speaker amp, buy it used. This opens up a HUGE choice, and no problem with power. I recommend the Passlabs integrated 25, or the Moon Audio 600i Integrated. Both sounds superb, and can also power any other HP such as the Abyss or Susvara. You can find a 600i used for about 3K used.
IMO you more more for your money going this route. Plus you can also power speakers as well, should the need arise.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #11,152 of 12,031
Yo

You could look to a good speaker amp, buy it used. This opens up a HUGE choice, and no problem with power. I recommend the Passlabs integrated 25, or the Moon Audio 600i Integrated. Both sounds superb, and can also power any other HP such as the Abyss or Susvara. You can find a 600i used for about 3K used.
IMO you more more for your money going this route. Plus you can also power speakers as well, should the need arise.
Hi - Thanks, already own a Pass Labs Int-250, and I enjoy it IMMENSELY with a Raal Sr1a. But how would you (safely) hook up the LCD-4 to the pass labs?

Apr 18, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #11,153 of 12,031
Hi - Thanks, already own a Pass Labs Int-250, and I enjoy it IMMENSELY with a Raal Sr1a. But how would you (safely) hook up the LCD-4 to the pass labs?
Banana plug to xlr converter

Apr 19, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #11,154 of 12,031
Quick one.
Currently running the LCD-3 with a Trilogy 931 & Topping A90D.
I have the opportunity to get a Trilogy 933. Do I do this or trade in for the LCD-4?

Apr 19, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #11,155 of 12,031
Quick one.
I have the opportunity to get a Trilogy 933. Do I do this or trade in for the LCD-4?
LCD 4 doesn't run great out of the Topping A90D.

Apr 20, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #11,156 of 12,031
Quick one.
Acoustic transducers usually have more impact on the sound than electronics.

AUDEZE LCD-4 are a very special headphones, I wouldn’t like to miss mine.
Just listing to this album:
D75F5517-104F-4668-A8EE-1CD72AF4BA0C.jpeg

Apr 20, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #11,158 of 12,031
What would be an good Amp in the 500-1000$ Tier in your opinion?
The Schiit Lyr 3 or + with a Sylvania tube will give you way better bass, detail, soundstage and overall clarity than the A90D. If you can stretch your budget to the Cayin HA-3A then you will get the best and most optimal results with the LCD 4. The detail expands further, bass texture and dynamics are much improved. The soundstage is now the widest I've heard with the LCD 4 now and I really like that because it has a more closed in soundstage with other amps.

I am using the Topping D90 as the DAC but I might upgrade to the Ifi Pro IDSD and just use the DAC functionality out of that with the Cayin amp going forward. Also note that I recently added HQPlayer to my Roon and set it to 192kHz upsamling which has really improved the detail further alongside the instrument separation but also keeping the clarity and warmth in the vocals and keeping the soundstage wide. It has also improved the bass texture and slam further to where you understand why people say it has the best bass in a headphone. I originally had it set to 384kHz and the detail was a little better but I lost the warmth and soundstage so I'm really happy at 192kHz.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #11,159 of 12,031
The Schiit Lyr 3 or + with a Sylvania tube will give you a way better bass, detail, soundstage and overall clarity than the A90D. If you can stretch your budget to the Cayin HA-3A then you will get the best and most optimal results with the LCD 4. The detail expands further, bass texture and dynamics are much improved. The soundstage is now the widest I've heard with the LCD 4 now and I really like that because it has a more closed in soundstage with other amps.

I am using the Topping D90 as the DAC but I might upgrade to the Ifi Pro IDSD and just use the DAC functionality out of that with the Cayin amp going forward. Also note that I recently added HQPlayer to my Roon and set it to 192kHz upsamling which has really improved the detail further alongside the instrument separation but also keeping the clarity and warmth in the vocals and keeping the soundstage wide. It has also improved the bass texture and slam further to where you understand why people say it has the best bass in a headphone. I originally had it set to 384kHz and the detail was a little better but I lost the warmth and soundstage so I'm really happy at 192kHz.
I considered the Cayin HA-3A however it only has 850mW in balanced high gain which from experience is a bit low for the LCD4. I’m surprised you’ve recommended it.

Do you actually mean the HA-6A, which is significantly more expensive and more powerful? It has up to 4500mW in balanced output?

Apr 20, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #11,160 of 12,031
I considered the Cayin HA-3A however it only has 850mW in balanced high gain which from experience is a bit low for the LCD4. I’m surprised you’ve recommended it.

Do you actually mean the HA-6A, which is significantly more expensive and more powerful? It has up to 4500mW in balanced output?
I'm actually running the LCD 4 on the HA-3A With the 1/4 Jack cable. I'm never going passed 11 o'clock on the volume dial on the highest impedence switch so it has the power trust me. I have to use more of the volume dial on the Lyr 3 which has 9 Watts of total power. The HA-3A is a beast and you will only need the HA-6A for headphones like the Susvara or HE6.

I asked the people at the HA-3A thread before I bought it to see if it had the power and someone said this:

"At this impedance levels the current output is much more important than the raw power. HA-3A has a ton of current for the LCD-4"

They were 100% right, as long as you set it to the highest impedence switch on the amp then your good even with the 1/4 jack.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back